Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New Person
Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 06:30AM

Hi,
My name is Thomas and I am brand new to this site and raw eating in general.My goal is to consume 75 to 80 percent raw food daily.
Is there any basic information I should know to get started about eating raw,this site or this board?
I do have a high end Champion juicer(made carrot juice w/ an orange 2day)Is there anything else I need? I was going to buy a dehydrator can someone suggest a good one?
Is there anything else like a turbo mixer,veg.brush that is good or important to have.I have between 300 to 500 dollars to spend on tools.

Also,is there a site to find out what food is raw and what isnt? I use stevia as a swetner.Is that raw?
I also eat raisins that you get from a grocery store.Are they raw?

Nice to meet you all,
Thomas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Person
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 26, 2008 06:52AM

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 (IP Logged)
Date: April 25, 2008 11:30PM

I was going to buy a dehydrator can someone suggest a good one?

Here's a link to a recent thread about dehydrators:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:33AM

I love your enthusiasm!

If you already have a Champion you're set, it makes great banana ice cream, just peel and freeze the bananas and send them through the juicer. I would also recommend a food processor, mine is a Hamilton Beach and cost about $30, a coffee grinder about $10, and a dehydrator with a thermostat, mine is American Harvest Snackmaster like this one
[cgi.ebay.com]
it cost about $50 years ago, now the new ones are $60+ and they have moved the fan to the top of the machine?!?
[www.americanharvest.com]

I think that the most important thing is to go slow in transitioning - think of evolving into being a raw fooder rather than being created a rawfooder - just about all the problems with becoming a rawfooder such as massive detox, hair loss, loss of energy, transition burnout, maybe even teeth problems, ect. seem to happen to those who push their bodies too fast into rawfood.

Raisins are raw, I buy the green stevia and I think it is raw.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 11:07AM

I'm doing this with a sharp knife and a cutting board.

Some people might suggest a high end blender (Blendtec or Vitamix). If you have the money, go for it.

Welcome! You have found an awesome website right here.

Lee

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 26, 2008 12:41PM

Your questions are very normal. There are a great many articles on this board that you can check out:

[www.living-foods.com]

You can check out my FAQ:

[rawfoodfarm.com]

-You can always ask questions from the more experienced and wonderful folks on this board (including myself) and I'm sure they would be happy to address any questions you might have.

-Keep in mind that this 'diet' does not HAVE to be all or nothing....and use expensive equipment.......and complicated dishes.....and 'deprivation'. It's not about that. It's a LIFESTYLE that promotes greater simplicity.

-It CAN be as simple as just walking down your nearest produce isle....and picking out MORE of the fresh fruits and vegetables that you love....and eating them. The food will be your medicine FIRST and FOREMOST.

-Don't get hung up on the word 'raw'. Think 'fresh, unprocessed plants' and you'll be on your way. It CAN be that simple. If it don't grow....don't go! LOL.

-David Z. Msaon

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 26, 2008 01:02PM

hi thomas

raisins come from grapes and grapes are notorious for having been sprayed a great deal by pesticides

you can get organic raisins and they are lot better

some fruits are more heavily sprayed than others... raisins (grapes) are one of them

some are better so maybe less of an incentive to go for the organic esp. if its pricey

i get all my veggies organic cuz they are pretty much the same price ( except for a few pennies more) than non organic

fruits are a different story... usually a lot more expensive than non organic but still worth it

i am working to make a transition to getting all my food from local growers by getting them at farmer's markets etc.

so far, so good

just went to a farmer's market recently

got avocado, AWESOME beets, and other greens

there was even someone making green smoothies

boy was it DELICIOUS!!! and all from local farms too

and the price was better than at regular stores

hope you enjoy your newfound adventure

there is a LOT to get excited about

and WELCOME ABOARD

AHOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOMASsmiling smiley

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 05:33AM

Thanks for the info.And a big Ahooooooooooooooooooooy back to you!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:14AM

SPLASH!!!!

smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables