Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thanks to David Z - convential produce
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:00PM

I checked your site out Dave, and I have to say one of those points on your list of FAQs hit me like a ton of bricks and led me to a huge realization, so I wanted to say thank you.

Basically, your point #28, you say it's ok to eat the convential produce. While I logically understood that, and eat it time and again at restaurants, for example, I was the Organic Police to myself. I would go to store after store, trying to get everything organic. I would get the same choices over and over, not finding the variety of organic I sought. I would look longingly at the peaches, plums, grapes and dream of the month out of the year when those too would be organic. I sadly walked through farmer's markets in the summer and come back empty handed, even when many farmers had unsprayed produce! My 25% non-raw food would end up being crap, anyhow, because I lacked the kind of variety I so wanted, and I was sick of the same food. It sounds silly, but the thought of eating non organic tomatos, peppers just wasn't an option to me. I see how (for me) detrimental this has been. I seriously feel liberated now, knowing, "it's okay" to still love and enjoy convential produce, especially if that means I will be eating even more raw, and even managing my food money more appropriately for me at this time.

I know alot of people here might be able to do only organic, and that's great, but I think this process of permitting myself to 'just eat raw' regardless of the PLU sticker (well, ok, maybe NOT genetically modified smiling smiley is going to be life changing. The only thing I still wouldn't feel comfortable eating convential is strawberries, blackberries and those other kinda seedy ones - but I have alot more options across the board now. Someday, when I am all raw, I can afford to be more picky, but during the past 3 yrs of eating 75% yum and 25% crap, I see how I set myself up for disappointment.

So, thanks for mentioning that on your site, Dave, it really resonated with me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks to David Z - convential produce
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 26, 2008 05:39PM

Oh you're welcome RawKitty. I think it's unfortunate that many folks......LONG before they reach the wonderful benefits of THEIR raw food goals.....are inconvenienced and put off because they think eating well/raw and organic is synonymous. That eating organic is an expensive and required 'rite of entry'. I think folks should reach their raw goals FIRST....irrespective of organic or conventional.....and THEN worry about refinements like organic produce, master cleanses, colonics, fasting, etc. Prior to walking that walk for a few months.....its all just psyching one's self out! Heh...heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: April 26, 2008 07:29PM

Good points. Take things in steps. When people venture out into the world of raw food, expense and convenience are primary concerns. Let people know that eating conventional is OK. I'd say that about 80% of my raw food is conventional. I simply don't have the income to afford all organic.

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: April 26, 2008 10:30PM

yes, and yes! and the fine tuning later is exactly what I am thinking as well. For now, it's just eat some colorful yummy fruit or veggie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables