Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions sprouting in my mind
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:01AM

After having had some problems with high fruit and trying to change my diet a little, I got excited by sprouts. However, I have a couple of questions for you guys.

What do you think about having sprouts as one of the main elements of the diet along with green leafy vegies? What are the cons? The pros being the fun to grow them and the small price. What are the nutrition benefits.

Also, there seem to be so many kinds available. What are your favorites? Also, where do you get your seeds?

I bought small bags of fancier kinds at my local health food store. Dill seeds, arugula and sunflower oilseed. I quickly read that some of those are to grow greens and not just sprouts. Any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions sprouting in my mind
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:15AM

Growing your own Greens is the best way to go if you're organized, and have the time. I've tried growing sprouts in the past, but it just didn't feel right.
I'm 'into' growing Wheatgrass, and using a variety of Sea Vegetables from the Maine Coast in Green Smoothies.
Sprouting in jars, the way I do it, is not the way to go. Better to have some sort of a growing device that is self-watering (or misting).......WY

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:58AM

My favorite was always raw sunflower seeds. The sprouts are tasty....but so are the micro-greens when grown in soil. You can find them in many places....including your local health food store.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:07PM

i vouch for growing in jars, super easy and takes next to no time at all. to each their own!

i love fenugreek sprouts, alfalfa or clover, lentil, and many others.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:50PM

Sunflower are my favorite. I also like alfalfa and garbanzo.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:36PM

There is a guy in the CR society that used to make sprouts a major part of his diet. He had a very elaborate sprout farm setup in his basement and he used many different varieties. But he stopped a few years ago switching to a diet based on at least 50 different fruits and vegetables. His name is Dean Pomerleau, his diet has been mentioned befoer here, and you can google for his website/email address and ask him why he stopped sprouting.

I have them now and then, and use them as a condiment.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 27, 2008 05:27PM

There's a guy around here who posted photos of his two FreshLife automatic sprouters he uses to supply the majority of his daily food intake. Personally, I'm a happy user of the EasyGreen automatic sprouter. To new sprouters, I would suggest starting either with a simple quart canning jar, or a less expensive manual sprouter like the SproutMaster or EasySprouter. I'm big fans of both the SproutMaster and the EasySprouter, though when I decided that I wanted to grow larger quantities and was sure that my interest was not temporary I found it worth investing in the convenience and flexibility of an automatic sprouter. Even with my automatic sprouter running I continue to find frequent use for my SproutMaster mini trays.

Sprouting is a great way to eat economically, and avoid a lot of unnecessary shipping costs if you live in an area where you cannot get your food locally all year round. In New York State, I have very few locally-grown food purchasing options during the winter, but by supplementing with sprouts I could avoid importing most of my winter greens. (A lot of my sprouting seed is mail-ordered, but there's a huge difference in weight between the seed and the end product sprouts.) Winter fruit still remains an issue, but with apple storage I was able to somewhat reduce my winter fruit imports.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:03PM

I sprout with jars and it is so easy.I love alfafa,lentils, chick peas,sunflower and mung beans.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 27, 2008 08:05PM

When I want to use sprouts in a salad I blend them up in the salad dressing I put on it. My family hasn't a clue they're in there. They just know it tastes good.

I might throw a handful of sprouts in with the regular greens of our daily leafy green smoothy.

It takes planning, but when I'm ready to retire wheatberries after making Rejuvelac I like to blend the wheatberries with sprouts to make spicy crackers in my dehydrator.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables