Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone used E3 Live for iron or vitamin deficiencies?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:12AM

Does anyone know for sure if their levels in anything went up after taking E3 live? I don't mean symptoms disapearing like more energy etc like their website says.. Anyone ever have blood tests to confirm it?

My iron is wicked low and some other things, and since I already have E3 in my freezer (haven't been taking it), wondering if I could get away with just this or do I really need to supplement with other stuff. I know their website states that it contains easily absorbed vitamins/nutrients but doesn't even say how much..so probably just trace amounts for all I now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone used E3 Live for iron or vitamin deficiencies?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 28, 2008 12:41AM

Why not try eating natural whole raw foods high in iron and other nutrients ? I'm talking about regular foods like spinach etc that you get from farms and produce departments.

Date: April 28, 2008 01:30AM

Because my nutrient deficiency problems go too deep to easily fix it with simple diet changes. And I already eat spinach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 01:31AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 28, 2008 08:30AM

Likeitornot - I don't know about E3 but I too have had very low iron levels. while I loathe taking supplements when you are so depleted I think it is better to get your levels up again with supplements. Once your iron levels are o.k you can stop the supplements and hope that the great way of eating that you have will stop the problen occuring again.

I am travelling this route at the moment - I expect to be able to stop taking the supplements soon and I am hoping that I will have better absorption now that I am raw. the problem with too much spinach and beet greens is the high level of oxalic acid that interferes with calcium. I have just started to grow wheatgrass - first tray is about 5inches high (so exciting) - and I am hoping that this will be of benefit.

also I think it is so hard to operate properly with very low iron - the fatigue is immense, everyday living is that much harder. For me I just had to get my levels up and even with supplements it took quite a long time.

good luck with what ever you decide to do

Date: April 28, 2008 12:20PM

thanks flipperjan. That's how I see it too and why I'm going this route. My ferritin was a 10, it's supposed to be over 70. I don't even have the energy to try and juice for the extra nutrients.

I'm going to try wheatgrass too especially since I'm always craving it lately. So maybe there's a connection with it helping. But I use the frozen juice. I believe this can be just as good depending on the company. I don't have the energy or patience to grow and juice my own. Supposedly there's iron in wheatgrass juice but i can't find any definite answers out there on how much is exactly in it.

What kind of supplements did you take? Any particular brand recommendations?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2008 01:03PM

i'm always super low, my sister too even when she was eating lots of red meat at her doctor's suggestion. we are both O-neg blood type, i do think it has something to do with it. we both have difficulty absorbing protein too. at one time i did take a lot of E3 live and i would continue if it fit into my budget but it doesn't right now. maybe we'll have some luck growing wheatgrass once we move but that takes quite a bit of time and energy.

Date: April 28, 2008 03:08PM

Hi Likeitornot

Yes you must be on the floor with a level of 10. Mine was 32 and that ws bad enough (also diagnosed underactive thyroid at same time - but that's another story!).

My doctor tells me that normal ferritin levels are anywhere between 50 - 200. At 78 he signed me off but I still felt appalling and when I went back to him 3 months later they had slipped to 54. So we are on a drive to get them well over 100 now. I want them quite high as I am a long distance runner and I get so tired.

am hoping that being raw - well mostly - that somehow my absorbtion will be better and the levels won't slip again. Don't quite know what to do if they do.

I want the wheatgrass as a general tonic and not just for the iron. It is supposed to boost the thyroid amongst other things.

I've been taking 3 x 200mgferrous sulphate a day as prescribed - each tablet is the equivilent of 65mg ferrous iron. side effects such as constipation do not effect me now I am eating raw (sorry but it is quite a problem I believe for some people)

hope all goes well for you

Date: April 28, 2008 03:55PM

i have no problem with constipation from iron supplements whether i am raw or not, it does seem to be a common problem though.
i have read that drinking a glass of water with lemon juice first thing in the morning helps with hydchlric acid production. it's a bit harsh on my teeth though so i don't always do it.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:38PM

I read somewhere that red grape juice was very high in iron (it tastes like it might be), does anyone know if this is true?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: April 28, 2008 05:09PM

How do you know you have a vitamin e deficiency?

( and being tired will not cut it for me. ) winking smiley

Date: April 28, 2008 09:27PM

Hi Coco - yes I often drink a pint of warm water with the juice and guts of half a lime in it. Teeth feel a bit rough afterwards but I eat fruit about an hour later or bit less and then providing it wasn't acid fruit give teeth a jolly good clean so hopefully it isn't doing harm. Why do we want hydchlric acid production?

Rawnoggin - presumably red grapes must be the same - will do some research

Suvine - the only way to know these things for definate is to have a blood test done I guess. Can you get a blood test for vit. E? others on this site know much more about this sort of thing than me - maybe someone will answer conclusively

Date: April 28, 2008 10:58PM

Suvine - I was talking about iron/ferritin.. not vitamin E. I had blood tests for iron and other stuff. Not sure if there's a test for vitamin E..

Date: April 28, 2008 11:14PM

low hdrchlric acid can = poor absorption of nutrients, that's it for me with iron and protein.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 28, 2008 11:24PM

Magnesium is also supposed to help with nutrient uptake.

After drinking wheatgrass every day for a few weeks (crazy high in magnesium!), I noticed I was getting full from any food a LOT quicker, and my weekly grocery bills dropped by about $20.

It's definitely the opposite of my Antibiotic Nightmare last fall--I could eat and eat and eat raw foods, and still be so tired, I could tell my body was passing everything with minimal absorption. I was so hungry. It was like when the scary ghosts would eat in that Caspar the Ghost CG movie, and the food they put in their mouths just passed right through their bodies (air) and landed on the floor.

In any case, magnesium seemed to be a tipping point for me. I was meeting the RDA beforehand, but getting well above the RDA consistently brought about the results. Maybe something else you'd want to consider. =)

Date: April 30, 2008 03:02AM

Phantom, that kind of sounds like me. lol

When I drink wheatgrass, I lose my appetite. But I just figured it was an appetite suppressant. I also eat a lot and never seem to be full. With all my yo-yo'ing, I'm probably deficient in a lot.

I'm going to go on another wheatgrass kick, along with the E3 live since I still have some in my freezer.

Date: June 09, 2008 09:22PM

When my wife was pregnant and needed to raise her iron levels, she took floradex and it worked really well. I've used it too when I was feeling low energy and it helped a lot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables