Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are these chickpeas ready?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2008 04:27AM

As the pic shows,it just takes 2 days,can I eat them now ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 04:33AM by openmind88.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are these chickpeas ready?
Date: April 29, 2008 04:30AM

I am new here,very glad to join this community.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2008 04:37AM by openmind88.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 29, 2008 05:10AM

I don't have an answer for you, as I don't eat sprouted chickpeas. But let us know how they digest and taste!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 29, 2008 05:39AM

someone help openmind out here.. ya hear!! ?

hi openmind... i don't sprout chickpeas much either

so i won't be an expert on it

but someone else oughta know... got plenty of people here on board smiling smiley

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:07AM

i would taste them and see how they taste and feel.

they look sprouted to me. the sprouted chickpeas they sell at Whole Foods don't have that long of a tail.

good luck!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:39AM

I eat them like that - but not too many as I 'm not sure how much I like them. I really love sprouted lentils however

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: April 29, 2008 12:09PM

Do sprouted lentils and garbanzos taste like they are cooked?

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: April 29, 2008 12:31PM

I eat 'em after 2 days. I whip them into hummus -- yum! I took some to a party a few weeks ago and the cooked people gobbled it up!

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 29, 2008 01:20PM

Yup! Looks good. {crunch crunch} I used to do these a lot.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 29, 2008 02:30PM

The chickpeas in the photo are definitely ready if you're ready for them.

Redstar, the sprouted lentils and chickpeas have a flavor very distinct from how they taste cooked. As hummus, mixed with tahini and spices, people may not notice the difference in the taste of the chickpeas. On their own it's very obvious.

Date: April 29, 2008 02:47PM

sprouts are at their nutritional peak when the sprout is no longer than the bean, seed or legume itself. those chickpeas are looking pretty old to me, they are still edible (as edible as sprouted chickpeas can be, which isn't very!) but past their prime.

Date: April 29, 2008 03:25PM

Thank you all above very much!
They are a little bit sweet, pritty good, and I just don't know how to explain how it taste, you got to try it yourself.

Thanks to coco, I will not wait so long next time, I'll eat them up before the sprout is longer than the bean. Thank you!

By the way, my English is so poor that I may not be able to describe my thoghts,excuse me!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 29, 2008 03:53PM

Coco - I'm surprised about the optimal length of a sprout 'tail'. I don't know nything about sprouting really so I'm glad to learn but would you say the same is true for mung beans as it's pretty hard to stop them whizzing away. I always thought mine were inferior to the shop bought ones as the tails are never as big and juicy.

I agree - chick pea sprouts are fairly hard work aren't they.

Date: April 29, 2008 03:56PM

mung are a particular sort of sprout that breaks all the rules. mung like to be sprouted under pressure or they will not grow big and juicy. sprout them in a wide shallow pan with a plate on top with a weight on it (like a large stone). if you google you will get more info and pictures.

good luck, happy sprouting!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 29, 2008 08:02PM

Right now... eat them... right now!!

Before I do (muahahaha)!!

No, really, I wouldn't sprout them for any longer than that. They're good when the tail = bean length, and if I make too many to eat at that length, if I let them go any longer than that pic, mine get brown and yucky.

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: April 30, 2008 02:27AM

Definitely ready...YUMMY!

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:55AM

I've sprouted chickpeas several times and always ended up throwing them out. They grow easy and look really good but leave a weird aftertaste in my mouth that kinda makes me nauseaus. To each his own I guess. I do enjoy lentil and mung bean sprouts though...in small quantities.

~lanie

Date: April 30, 2008 02:23PM

i don't eat them either, they are slightly toxic raw.

Date: April 30, 2008 05:50PM

hey coco can u explain that?

were u just referring to garbanzos are all sprouted beans?

Date: April 30, 2008 07:27PM

chickpeas, though i know some people do eat them. even though it's possible, they aren't as toxic as kidney beans which you absolutely can NOT eat raw sprouted, it's still very taxing on the body. no more so than other things people eat and drink, cheese, coffee, etc.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 30, 2008 10:11PM

When I saw Victoria Boutenko she talked about all sprouts having toxicity. Fruit is the least toxic part of the plant because the plant needs to have animals eat the fruit to spread seeds. When you start eating the parts of the plant that actually harm the survival of it you get more toxins. So although sprouts are full of nutrition, you have to be careful of the toxicity.

I love garbanzo sprouts. I only like them whole though, not pulverized. It might be because I eat less of them when I eat them whole. My husband loves them too. We digest them really well.

When I sprout them I like their tails to be short. After two days I don't think they are good any longer.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: May 01, 2008 04:54AM

Thanks for your post Coco. I thought it was just me. Makes sense that they're slightly toxic as that's sort of how they taste. Don't know if you've ever tried sprouting soybeans but BLECHHH...they're even worse. Not a recommended legume to begin with from what I've learned anyway.

With so many tasty nutritious foods to choose from leaving out the ones that don't sit well is definitely no crime. We're all so different when it comes to our bodies and taste buds anyhow...which is a beautiful thing of course.

~lanie

Date: May 01, 2008 07:45AM

hi coco

what chemicals do they exude that are toxic to us?

i heard about kidney beans being toxic but can't remember the exact reasons why

gimme a clue

Date: May 01, 2008 06:19PM

you know, i can't remember either. it did come from a reputable source though, that much i do recall. kidney beans are toxic and should never be eaten raw, kale seeds as well, soy is toxic too but not as much and same with chickpeas. there are people who do eat those last two but the first two are not ok to eat at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables