Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Wheatgrass juice - what a disgusting taste!
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 05, 2008 11:19PM

I agree that tastes change on the raw food lifestyle. I will have to try the WG again and get a more current taste check.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: llulu ()
Date: May 06, 2008 01:50AM

Alone, wheatgrass is overwhelming for me. I add it to my daily green juice --
kale or collards, granny smith apple, romaine or cucumber, sometimes celery, cilantro if on hand, but definitely lemon or lime and ginger. Drink over ice or diluted with pure water or rejuvelac.

Peace.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 06, 2008 07:18AM

thanks every one. I will certainly keep the juicer as it is manual and I can use it in the caravan or if we have a powercut!

I will try wheatgrass again - infact maybe today as I have three trays of the stuff looking at me. Do you know where I cut it off, it is regrowing again - cool.

I bet I go to juice it and first taste go 'What am I doing. I thought I made a decision about this stuff'.

some things take a long time to learn. I can't imagine growing to like the taste but I won't rule it out.

thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2008 03:09PM

i can't remember if it was asked on this thread or another but about the wheatgrass growing to the point where it has split into two blades of grass, that is past the point of optimum nutrition.
while grass will regrow, the second growth is also less nutritious. those flats should get composted and started again.
as for cutting, grab a handful of grass and cut as low down as you can go without including any dirt or mold that may be there.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 07, 2008 04:49AM

Like it or not,
Thats interesting, I have tried whgrss and e3 live. I would agree with you that e3 has a strong green taste. But for some reason I actually like the taste of e3, spirulina and the like. BUT NOT WHEATGRASS!!!! I am not sure why. It also makes a difference as to how I feel afterwards. I usually feel like upchucking after wg. but never after algae. go figure!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 07, 2008 06:49PM

I saw an E3 Live chocolate bar for sale at a raw food restaurant today, and immediately thought of this thread. I wondered, "HA! What does that taste like--chocolate... wheatgrass...?" (I've never tried E3.)

Date: May 07, 2008 08:37PM

that's my friend johnny who's making those e3live chocolate bars, he emailed me about it a few weeks ago and i was like "?". sounds totally grody to me but what the heck, don't knock it till you try it right? he's been raw for ages and ages and ages so... guess it's working for him. he's that friend of mine who is pretty bulky physically but hardly ever eats at all, a total slow oxidizer. it's amazing, he is so suited to this diet. way more than skinny mini me.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: May 08, 2008 01:29AM

I'm curious to know the results of Wheatgrass Yogi's WG juice fast? I would predict less than optimal results so I'm wondering if my prediction is correct?? Wheatgrass has a mineral ratio of 1:1 calcium to magnesium, whereas in a normal, healthy person the body seeks a 2:1 calcium to magnesium ratio. But this is what makes wheatgrass so great for healing, as most people on a western diet are magnesium deficient. My guess is that too much wheatgrass juice will eventually make a person feel too slow. I've felt that way before, although granted I was also taking magnesium at the time. In normal amounts as part of a varied diet I think things would balance out... but a wheatgrass juice fast for a healthy raw foodist? I am curious.

Posted by: blake1970 ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:40AM

I noticed that when my body became more alkaline and less acidic I started liking the taste of wheatgrass juice. The purer I become the better I appreciate and enjoy the taste.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 08, 2008 06:02AM

sunshine79 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm curious to know the results of Wheatgrass
> Yogi's WG juice fast?
I have 7 big bowls of Wheatgrass in various
stages of growth. I'll begin my Wheatgrass Juice Fast on
Saturday, May 10th. One's Birthday is a good day to start,
don't you think? I'll also be drinking some Kamut Grass Juice
as a comparison to the Wheatgrass Juice. I'll Post the results
in a new Topic.
Who knows, you might want to do one yourself....WY

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 08, 2008 02:31PM

Keep us posted, please!

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: May 08, 2008 03:19PM

WY have you germinated your new seeds yet?

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:42PM

I make it a general rule to avoid eating anything that tastes bitter or disgusting to me. smiling smiley I feel like, if it tastes that bad, I probably wasn't meant to eat it in the first place. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: May 09, 2008 02:28AM

warm-glow Wrote:
> WY have you germinated your new seeds yet?
Yes I have, and I'm sure they're going to be
okay for now, but I'm still looking. The seed from Natural
Way Mills produces a tall, thin Blade of Grass, whereas the
seed I had been using from Crystal Organics grows a shorter,
wider Blade. The seed itself looks better from CO....not as
processed to remove the Hull. The seed from NWM is 'beat-up'
in comparison. I'm still somewhat distraught that Crystal
Organics went out-of-business. Being the perfectionist I am,
I had found the Best seed, and now it's gone. I'm going to
pursue the seed from MontanaFlour.com next.
As always, in Search for the Best of Everything,....WY

Date: May 09, 2008 03:29PM

What about wheatgrass water? It just taste like water, but supposedly has all the nutrients like the actual wheatgrass. Anyone ever tried it?

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: May 13, 2008 01:19PM

A whole, a slice, (lemon) or just the juice??

garyr Wrote:
> la_veronique
>
> I put the wheatgrass juice in my smoothies. When
> I first started putting wheatgrass juice in my
> smoothies, it made the taste unappealing to me.
> Then I learned the trick to just stick a lemon in
> the smoothie - problem solved.
>
> That's been my solution since I haven't acquired a
> taste for wheatgrass yet.
>
> Gary

Date: July 15, 2010 09:32PM

I have been forcefeeding myself wheatgrass juice mixed with H20 and also tried mixing with V8 slash..neither worked....People MIX your wheatgrass powder in with Orange Juice!!!!!!This works!!! It will turn your orange juice green but it tastes just like Orange juice with just a hint of the wheatgrass powder...Im so glad I found this out cause I was starting to gag while I was drinking it with h20 and was afraid I was going to stop drinking it....Try this I promise you you will not have an issue with the taste ever again!!!!!

Posted by: rad gal ()
Date: July 16, 2010 01:30AM

I have tried it on a few occasions and have yet to see the appeal of it myself~

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 17, 2010 12:54AM

huh, maybe the wheat grass I have is way different, cause it was really sweet and grassy, it just tastes weirdly STRONG...its hard to describe for me... but I enjoy it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 17, 2010 01:53AM

Curator Wrote:
> it just tastes weirdly STRONG...its hard to
> describe for me... but I enjoy it!
You must be growing some good grass. Mine is strong
too, but I dilute mine 50-50 with Water when I drink it. That
takes out some of the 'bite', while still letting me know it's
potency.
I think something liquid should be taken with Wheatgrass Juice.
It flows through the vital Organs better that way.....WY

Date: July 17, 2010 02:16AM

I just had some straight green juice, one 4 inch pots worth of wheat grass, I think I may have let it get a bit to tall though (im pretty sure it was at least 8 inches...) about half a head of red lettuce, 5 leaves of kale, and a green bell pepper, It was really tasty, but slightly bitter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 17, 2010 02:30AM

It tastes best with apple juice, the sweetness level is similar and it just sort of somehow disguises it completely. WG juice makes me gag, I've always had to hold my nose to get it down but mixed with apple I even sort of like it.
It's best to have it on it's own so I don't recommend mixing it with more than one other ingredient so you get the full benefit and don't just force it through and pee it out, having drunk it for nothing.

Some people love the taste but they are rare. By and large, most dislike it to down right hate the stuff. I've seen people throw up after a shot on more than one occassion and nausea is common.
I'm sticking with watermelon juice myself smiling smiley.

Date: July 17, 2010 02:35AM

interesting, I havnt had a problem with nausea yet, im curious though, why is it that if you mix it with other stuff, you will "just force it through and pee it out, having drunk it for nothing." yet this ISN'T the case with greens like kale and other nutrient dense foods? (as far as Ive heard and read so far...)

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 17, 2010 02:52AM

WG juice is particularly concentrated as well as being a fairly strong detoxifier. When we sold/juiced/flash froze it at the farm we had a lot of literature and it all said to have it alone on an empty stomach. I figure with a bit of apple might be better than not at all but mixing it with a ton of other nutritious stuff, well you're body can only absorb so much at a time and it can't detox very well when overloaded with other jobs.

I say do an experiment and see how you feel when you have it different ways and in different combos. That will tell you how it serves you best in particular.

You can rub the foam on your face as a mask too. And scrub with the pulp in the shower. Good stuff that grass.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: July 17, 2010 03:51AM

I've had good wheatgrass and nasty wheatgrass.

The kind that tasted good to me..tasted like the SMELL of freshly cut grass from mowing the lawn.

The nasty kind.. was just really bitter and sour and I don't know how else to describe it. I'd guess it's what pee tastes like.

I guess my advice is.. if you really want to drink it because you believe in the benefits or something.. then mix it with carrot juice or something to hide it.

Date: July 17, 2010 04:25AM

BackAgain Wrote:
> I guess my advice is.. if you really want to drink
> it because you believe in the benefits or
> something.. then mix it with carrot juice or
> something to hide it.
Yes, and grow your own to be sure of the Quality. I've
had some pretty sorry Wheatgrass Juice at various Juice Bars.
I'm thinking Wheatgrass Juice mixed with Celery Juice would be
a winning combination. Gotta try that soon.....WY

Date: July 17, 2010 09:42AM

@coco, that makes some sense to me, although ive been drinking it mixed for the last week, and I haven't noticed...uh, nutrients "not" being used, first time I had it by itself, my waste was green later, since ive been mixing it with other stuff, I seem to be digesting it better, as everything has been normal except slightly orange from the carrots I think... So maybe, for me its more easily digested with other things that slow down the process a little bit? I did remember one weird thing, when I had it by itself the first time(which was on an empty stomach, although I didnt know that was what your supposed to do), I got heartburn!

I got my wheat grass from a friend who is selling it now...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 17, 2010 12:08PM

Re the posters saying they like 'an alkaline body', Prana's body on high fruit will be just as alkaline as Wheatgrass Yogi's and others.

I have always understood the environment of ALL of our bodies is 'neutral to alkaline', ie 7.35 pH.

The body will do whatever's necessary to maintain 7.35, ie if lots of acidic foods are ingested, it will leech calcium from the bones to maintain 7.35.

What's tested on the strips is the pH of saliva or urine, which, sure, gives some indication as to the acidity/alkalinity of the diet, but is not the pH of 'the body'.

Wheatgrass...I don't love it or hate it. I can take it or leave it. Some theorise that if you love it your body needs it, and if you hate it your body doesn't. This 'instinctive eating' theory should work IF someone is on a raw food diet.

Date: July 17, 2010 01:46PM

I have heard the opposite many, many times. If you hate it or if it makes you nauseous etc then you know you need it.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: July 17, 2010 04:46PM

coco Wrote:
> I have heard the opposite many, many times. If you
> hate it or if it makes you nauseous etc then you
> know you need it.

I can see how that would be true. Cleansing/Detoxing makes you sick/nauseaus at first. The first few days of fasting can have you stuck in bed the whole time.. And wheatgrass is supposed to be powerful stuff.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables