Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is anyone out there like me?
Date: May 02, 2008 04:47AM

i have found out that i can't trust what the books say. i am NOT supposed to eat even close to 1000 calories. first of all, i get soooo full by eating one raw meal, and can't eat again for like 6 hours...literally, and if i eat anymore than 400 calories, i gain weight like no body's business.

i kept getting so stressed because i tried eating like everyone told me to eat and i just kept getting fat, and food didn't taste good to me because i was never hungry for it. so as odd as this sounds, i can only eat like 400 calories max a day.

its so nice to finally figure out my body. and i am not starving myself at all. if i eat even 3 meals a day i feel like i've stuffed my face, and i feel sick.

i know.. i know.. this isn't usual, but is anyone else out there like me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is anyone out there like me?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 02, 2008 10:22AM

If you feel like that right now you shouldn't push yourself. Your appetite will likely return once you've given your system a rest.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 02, 2008 11:00AM

If you are gaining weight at over 400 calories a day, you must weigh 40 lbs or less.

I strongly suspect that your calorie counts are not accurate.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: May 02, 2008 01:32PM

Yeah I think arugala might be onto something. What are you using to count? Do you know about fitday.com?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 02, 2008 02:23PM

I do have days where I can't stomach to eat much at all, like my body wants a rest... but they always pass quickly. I also have days where I just can't stop eating, but those pass, too.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 02, 2008 03:10PM

Well, that sounds more plausible. A 400 calorie day followed by a 2400 calorie day averages out to 1400 in a day. Most people would still lose weight in that case, though.

Posted by: samhein ()
Date: May 02, 2008 03:37PM

Hi, Yes, I can agree with you on the small amount of calories eaten in a day. I am a lot like you. Although sometimes I may hit as high as 800 calories a day. But anymore than that, and I too start to gain weight. I am very active during the day,but that doesn't seem to matter. I have looked at many different calorie counters and still come up with around the same amounts every time. I could not even consider eating over 1000 calories a day without feeling sick from being over full. I consider myself very healthy and haven't been to a doctor in ages. Don't even have one right now. I do believe the body can exist on very little food and still function quite well. I do a lot of green drinks for the mineral and vitamin content. Seems to work for me.

Date: May 02, 2008 08:24PM

THANK YOU (samhein) finally. some one knows how it is. well anyways

Arugula: i am counting my calories correctly, its not that hard. i don't need a calorie counter, i know my numbers. and you were responding to someone else. i didn't say i eat a lot one day, and eat a little the other, that was someone else. i do not do 400, than 2400, i have to stick to 400. oh my goodness 2400?? even when i wasn't raw i could never eat that much!!! whats with people and such high intakes? i could never handle that. i must have a small stomach.

and no.. i don't weigh 40 pounds. hahahah oh my.

i weigh... well... i weigh enough

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: May 02, 2008 08:42PM

If eating over 400 calories makes you gain weight, I would assume your body knows what it's doing and you need to weigh more than your mind wants you to.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 02, 2008 08:59PM

a lot of people usually eat one meal a day

and that suffices

i don't think you are unusual at all

the three meal a day thing sounds like WORK to me

interrupting my day three times a day

jeez!

Date: May 02, 2008 11:12PM

>
> " i don't think you are unusual at all"

well thank you!! yeah, its nice to hear that others eat like one meal a day as well.

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 02, 2008 11:47PM

sounds like your extremely healthy, especially since you trust your instincts

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 02, 2008 11:49PM

I don't eat one meal a day or three meals a day. I like to eat small mono meals all day long. :=) A typical meal for me might be a mango and then I wait until I feel like eating again before I have another small mono meal.I like eating this way and it feels very natural to me -- kinda like grazing. I find that the more I separate the small meals by waiting for a slight return of hunger signal the more CR benefit I get. I support whatever works for you.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: May 05, 2008 12:22PM

I was going to write something similar to this. I have a 16 ounce green smoothie and I am full until midday. Then I have a large salad and I am not hungry until evening. At that time I have another 16 ounce green smoothie. I am not getting more than 600-800 calories a day. I want to keep my metabolism up and I think that I should have more food but I'm just not hungry. I used to just eat because I thought I should but I am tired of doing that and would rather follow my hunger ques. I use fitday to keep track of things. I am not even meeting my nutrient requirements. I feel better when I eat less but I don't want to suffer nutritionally.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:39PM

I don't see how your nutrition would be adequate on so few calories.

Date: May 08, 2008 10:49PM

well i guess if i needed more calories, my body would let me know.

Posted by: Discover ()
Date: May 09, 2008 05:03AM

It sounds like you are turning this into a calorie game. If you are eating what your body asks you to eat why would you ask?

I ask because I've had an eating disorder in the past and from what you've written it sounds like you might fit the profile.

Obsessively thinking about food intake, calories, and weighing yourself every day?

I have no advice for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2008 05:03AM by Discover.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: May 09, 2008 08:07PM

Well if the average person needs 1200 calories a day then that's just what it is, an AVERAGE - meaning some people will need more calories and others will need less. Nothing abnormal about that.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 10, 2008 12:07PM

Most importantly, how do you feel, energy wise? Do you have low energy, weight gain. If so;
I am surprised no one has mentioned parasites. I know it sounds shocking but the reality and symptoms of bloating, low energy, weight gain, puffiness. A raw food diet is the best thing you can do.
If you are high energy, mostly raw, I say go for it, honor your individual body needs.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: May 10, 2008 02:38PM

I'm with Discover...I know just too well, i've had an eating disorder too... And i was eating 800 calories a day, wich is really not enough! I remember how i could starve myself and be sooo happy when i would go to sleep at night if my daily intake was above 800...

400 calories just cant be enough! Thats like 4 bananas, it just cant give you the fuel you need to keep going, unless you stay in bed all day!

Seriously, how tall are you and how much do you weight?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: May 10, 2008 03:06PM

I really am not that crazy about food, I never was, always hated it, but raw food and fruitarianism I am ok with but even then I maintain my ideal weight and still have to diet when I model

Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: May 10, 2008 07:52PM

suvine..i wish i could be indifferent to food raw food or not..!

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 12, 2008 06:33PM

It'sad that you r experiecing that,It must be really frustrating.

One thought and it is only a thought, find a realy good medical doctor who specializes or understands raw eating and weight gain. My friend and I put our heads together--now thats scary and found one. My friend shed a ton of weight and the physican focused on my friends unique challeges.

Perhaps that would be a good place to start and they possibly can run some blood work and things of that nature.

Carol Alt,has two physicans she works with if your comfortable goggle her and get the names of the docs.
I can empathize,there is so much dats out there and at times the more one reads the more one is confused.

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: May 13, 2008 04:36AM

i agree with mira

Date: May 25, 2008 12:36AM

woah man, i sure got a ton of different types of answers. all very interesting, although some pretty annoying. but i asked.

anyways i have had an eating disorder before and no i do not have one anymore. its not bad to count calories, some people have to.

i don't personally believe that most people should be eating in the 1200 range, yes it works for some, but a great many it doesn't.

I'm guessing the people that were concerned that it was my eating disorder speaking through got that "calorie counting is bad" info from psychologists and stuff??

well I've been in inpatient and in the hospital for my eating disorder enough to know that they have no idea what they are doing over there. i hate Methodist hospital, (the one marya hornbacher went to if anyone knows who that is) if a raw food doctor went over there and saw what they were making those ED patients eat i think they may have a sudden heart attach.

this has nothing to do with the eating problems i used to have. i don't restrict anymore by conviction from GOD. not some elevated self esteem that overweight doctors and psychologists tell me i should have.

i'm sorry i kinda ranted, but this stuff can get me steamed.

ps. THANK You keepitsimple...it is VERY frusterating!!!!

Dicover: thank you for your concern, even if its not concern i'll pretend it is, but i'm not eating disordered at all anymore. although it is kinda funny all ED's know each other, this is kinda off subject but i can like go to the grocery store and i'll spot one ten feet away, even if she isn't that thin, just the way she acts or something she/he may say.

ok i'm done. have a good day ya'll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2008 12:40AM by youremakingmeitchy.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 26, 2008 07:23AM

Often EDs bugger up our metabolisms

If you feel comfortable, are not hungry etc..then carry on as you are

I dont count calories

But some days I drink juice, some days I will fast, some days I may just have my post workout smoothie..but that in itself is 1000 cals! I dont care about calories anymore

raw is freedom from all that rubbishey calorie counting

eat ..be satisfied..dnt worry about meeting what other people eat..or dont eat..or expect you to eat.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 26, 2008 09:54PM

I wouldn't even know how to count a calorie. I eat like there is no tomorrow, always have. I never could gain weight until I was in my twenties and then i had the hardest time trying not to get as big as a house. I was always hungry. Thanks goodness I found raw. Now I am so happy with food. I eat like I want and stay perfect. Liberation!!!

Just a thought:

I am 5'2", 110 pounds and I eat about two and a half times as much as my husband who is 6' and 180 pounds. My twelve year old daughter is 5'2" and 85 pounds and eats about twice what I eat.

Everyone's body is doing different things at different times. There is not a rule that applies to every body.

It sounds like you know your body pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables