Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Trouble staying raw
Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: May 03, 2008 10:25PM

I've been working at going raw for quite a while now, with varying amounts of success. It's been frustrating. The longest I've made it without eating cooked foods is about 4 weeks. I get these HORRIBLE cravings, though. Sometimes I'll spend just hours and hours thinking about cooked food sad smiley Just recently I had made it on raw for 3 weeks straight, and then I snapped, and ended up eating cooked food (LOTS of cooked food) for about a week. I'm back on raw again, for about 2 days now. (btw: I'm doing 80/10/10, which feels exactly right for me)

I've always wanted to just jump into raw, 100%. It's so hard for me, though. Switching to vegan 4 years ago... it was SOOO much easier! I guess I have a few things working against me, though. For one, I've struggled with eating disorders in the past. This is actually the main reason I'm so interested in raw, to try to get some control over my problems. I've had problems with binge eating for some time. Not everyone seems to believe me, though, which is very frustrating (I really haven't gained any weight since this started, and am still relatively trim). I also have a tendency to under-eat much of the time, because I always feel like I need to lose weight. I've ended up feeling, just, so imbalanced!

I obsess about food so much. Food is an addiction. Food is a way to dull my emotions. Over-eating has gotten in the way of my social life. Food is the enemy. I love food and I hate food!

I guess, in addition to venting (It's been a while since I last posted), I'm also looking for advice. I'm considering pulling back on my raw percentage... I know I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I would really feel much worse if I crashed again and binged on cooked foods for a week (which I'm certain is bound to happen again). I also sort of wonder if I should get professional help regarding my food issues. I'm not sure what to think, though... I've been through therapy before, for other things, and it has never seemed to help me that much. Also, if I got a therapist, I'm certain he/she would not agree with raw foods, and would not encourage it. I'd feel like I'd have to lie to them about it.

I guess I gotta stay positive, too. I've probably eaten more fruit since January than I had in 3 years of my previous lifestyle. That's still progress, even if I keep falling off the horse!

Peace smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble staying raw
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: May 04, 2008 01:45AM

W, Why are you beating yourself up? I did the 100% move from SAD to RAW and my body completely fell apart. I then had to back off and transition slower into RAW.

I'm still not 100% after 3.5 years and it's okay. I know that my body will tell me when to let go of a certain food. I know when to let go when I get sick or I see signs of my body trying to cleanse itself from the food.

Relax and enjoy the journey. It's not about if you are 100% RAW and unhappy but if you are seeing signs of progressively better health.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:05AM

keep looking for what works for you and take notice of it. When I first went all raw what worked for me was to eat PLENTY of raw foods (I still lost weight) and I ate lots of avocados. Good luck.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:08AM

I don't think you should torture yourself with goals that are impossible at this point.

Just incorporate as much fresh raw f+v as you can. Put the emphasis on feeling good about what you can do, and not on feeling bad about what you can't do. It's a process, and it's just a part of your life, not your entire life. Don't lose perspective. It's just food. Don't let it be an obsession.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: May 04, 2008 04:37AM

I think you sound like a lot of people. I binge too when I try to give something up. I once had this weird thought that it was like my body keeps track of what's missing from the diet that it's used too, and then tries to make up for the loss all at once.

Posted by: rwillow76 ()
Date: May 04, 2008 05:29AM

I understand totally!! I am the same way! I have been trying to go raw for years now but it is hard! BUT... it is worth the effort. Every attempt you make it gets easier! Try different things! For instance... The other day I was craving spaghetti really bad (my fave food of all time) so I made myself a deal. I told myself that I would make a raw version and if that didn't hit the spot then I would make the actual cooked spaghetti. So I put in the food processor several tomatoes, a bell pepper, garlic ,oregano, parsley, basil, onion, mushrooms, sea salt, and cumin. I made what I would call a spaghetti soup. Then I added some pecans to it (for a meatier texture). Fantastic!! I didn't have any noodles but that's ok. It worked!

I also have cravings for taco stuff which is easy to make raw. Use nuts, tomatoes and whatever seasonings you feel are appropriate and add lettuce, tomatoe, olive, onion, guacamole, raw milk cheese (if available), and whatever else.

Eventually I want to go 100% natural raw but the time will come. I can't rush it. You can't go 31 years on cooked food and then expect to go raw and everything turn out great!

I am a firm believer in the idea that cooked food is an addiction. I have a addictive personality so I have to take it in steps.

It's like quitting smoking for me. It was very difficult but well worth it.

I have noticed that since I have been doing this (creating raw versions of cravings) my cravings have been less and I feel better!

Good luck and Good day!!

River Willow

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:03PM

Some one is ALWAYS going to second guess you. Make the small changes in your own life that you think show the most love to yourself and others - and accept the consequences for your loving actions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 04, 2008 02:34PM

What I am doing at this time for cravings is to make some steamed veggies,and put on some of that smart balance omega spread and any spices I want.
It seems to satisfy cravings and keeps in the same family as all the other veggies...except they are steamed.
My "transition" period so to speak?
Brian

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 04, 2008 03:11PM

If you ARE NOT the type of all or nothing person, take it slow, dont beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself

One step at a time.

If you have your heart set on 100% clear out your home, kitchen and life and commit to it.

Putting pressure on yourself or worry or stressing over food is only going to add to food angst. Be kind to yourself, love yourself and it will come smiling smiley

Posted by: Context ()
Date: May 04, 2008 03:18PM

some good advice and support... p.s. the fruitarian one on youtube speaks about how much of the foods we eat are comfort foods. I am going to guess you were eating lots of cooked junk food. IE mcdonalds, pizza, icecream and stuff like that. Because they are comfort foods... it is a mental game you are playing with yourself. But keep the intent to go 100% raw, and ask for help from above in overcoming this... and let things happen, dont force it.

Date: May 04, 2008 06:00PM

Werewolf- Congratulations! What you've done so far is HUGE! Please go easy on yourself. You are trying to better yourself, and that's a big deal, deserving of praise and encouragement.

I really appreciate you writing about your struggles. I'm just starting out on this whole Raw thing. It helps me to know that its probably not going to fall into my lap without any effort! I too have addiction issues, and I anticipate that its going to come into play for me as well, once I start making positive changes. That little addict that lives in me hates to see me doing well! smiling smiley

There's something I've learned elsewhere in my life that I think might help. Remebering to take it day by day. Every morning starts a new day - a blank slate. Every morning I remind myself of the kind of choices I want to make that day - who I want to be - then at the end of the day I see how well I've done, and where I can improve.

I'd love to hear more about your journey so far.. I feel like its a huge learning curve, and a huge lifestyle adjustment. Good luck to you.

Date: May 04, 2008 08:31PM

I believe the concept of "moderation" does not work for me. If I try to eat raw for a week or two, then eat a "little bit" of junk food. . . I go crazy! A moderate amount of an addictive substance leaves me with an insatiable craving. A little leads to a lot. More leads to more, and more, and more. . . .

The best idea for me is entire abstinence from any kind of binge food that stimulates this kind of craving for me.

Ron

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 06, 2008 12:29AM

I'm the same way. Anything cooked, processed, ugh--it just reinforces a negative spiral that I benefit from less and less. I also think the more our bodies adjust to getting real nutrition, we try to reach for the memory of the hit Junk Food X used to give us, when in reality, our bodies have learned it's nothing of value to us! So I could go out to eat and try to have one of my old favorite comfort dishes, and never stop eating because A) I am not nutritionally satisfied and cool smiley I'm looking for an old addictive rush that I just don't get anymore.

A friend of mine calls it "chasing the dragon," usually in reference to drugs, but with cooked food, I find it's exactly the same thing.

Date: May 06, 2008 05:46PM

If I have trouble staying raw,I just read some of the articles on this site about cooked foods,and how your white blood cell count triples after eating cooked food as an immune response to a foreign substance!
Scary.

Posted by: Weronika ()
Date: May 06, 2008 06:19PM

Hi

Im in the begining of being going on a raw diet. This is my experience-you might get some advise from it? I dont know....
The first couple of weeks were sooo easy for me. I turned raw and ate 100% raw. I had some headaches etc but no big deal.

Then we had a "holiday" in Sweden and I spent the first day barbequing with friends. I felt it was ok because my goal was to be mostly raw (I felt really sick after eating and had to go and rest-I almost throwed up).
The night after, I had dinner at my moms house...and after these two days I had a problem going back to raw food (although I wanted too, and felt much better on raw). So a couple of days went...
I continously read on this forum. And I read in different threads something like "listen to your body and listen to what it needs".
So right now I eat raw most of the time-breakfast and lunch (really looking forward to the lunch-its sooo good) and for dinner I eat cooked food (veg). And I feel good.This is good for now.

And still I have energy thru the day (never had before raw-always dead-tired at 3 or 4 before),

Also I feel that my body wants more vegtables than fruit. When I eat more fruit my body start to crave for carbs such as pasta, rice, cookies etc.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 06, 2008 06:32PM

I was so hungry this AM and it would have been so easy for me to drive through some fast food place and get a breakfast "whatever." I just didn't want it. I give myself permission to, because for me nothing can be forbidden or I will play mind games with myself. I thought of how it would feel like a brick in my tummy for hours and it really doesn't feel all that good in my mouth anyway, greasy and gross. I really did not want it. After I got home I was surprised to find I was no longer hungry and it was another hour or so before I ate a few bananas.

I have been going raw for over a year and a half and my diet is so much cleaner now because I just don't want the things I was so addicted to. My goal has been to keep moving forward, slow and steady and I am achieving it by allowing myself to eat anything I want for one or two meals a week. The cooked things I wanted on those days went from enchiladas to raw veggies on wild rice. My diet has cleaned up so much and I am no longer agonizing over food, which I had always done before raw. It is much like quitting cigarettes was for me too. It is an emotional fight and you have to find what works best for you. Just remember this is what YOU REALLY WANT and remember WHY YOU WANT IT.

Posted by: Mehnoush ()
Date: May 06, 2008 08:17PM

I am new to this too and am in my 5th week %99 raw (I still have one cup of tea). I am the one who posted (I am not loosing weight) but after all I did (till now about 8 pounds).
My problem is that I am a good cook and I cook for my husband and daughter at least 5 days a week. When I serve the dinner I hear like an evil force whispering to my ear: (mmmm! That smells good … I wish I could try it). But another force is telling me: (this is the way you should feel every day! happy, healthy, radiant, energetic and least but not last loosing weight without a wrinkle in my face!!). So I stop my self to try it.
It’s hard, I mean really hard sometimes, but at the end of the day I am proud and happy.

It’s good to know other people are feeling the same way. Don’t be hard on your self. One day at a time is a good advice as well as might reading article posted hear.
Good luck!
M

Date: May 07, 2008 07:01PM

I totally know what you mean about the voices, haha! At first, it's a terribly intense struggle. But as you stick to your goals more, when that other "voice" does pop up on occasion, it becomes very easy to dismiss without another thought.

It tried to persuade me to eat some mint chocolate chip ice cream last night when I stopped at the ATM, and I just had to laugh. I stopped eating ice cream LONG before I started eating raw--I can't even imagine how that would feel now!

You will win, just keep fighting the good fight, even if you don't win every single round. =D

I'm also trying to apply that same philosophy to various other areas of my mind, now: negative thoughts, self-doubt, judging other people... It's really awesome to see a concrete manifestation of your own transformational power, and I do have more to heal than just my body.

Posted by: mookie ()
Date: May 08, 2008 07:46PM

This all sounds so familar - I feel like a little bit less of a freak and failure after reading all these posts! Thank you for starting this thread.

I am new to this also, and I was doing pretty well for about a week - letting myself have some cooked food with dinner and the rest of the day raw. I was ok with that- already feeling so much better. And then I completely fell off the wagon for about 3 days. And last night I felt terrible! My whole family had been complaining about their allergies, and I would just smile and say: Mine aren't that bad actually! well last night my sinuses swelled up to what felt like waterballons, I had heartburn, my head ached, my joints ached- I forgot how rotten I was feeling before I started down this path! I didn't realize how rotten I actually felt until I started feeling good-- this morning I am back on track. it really does help me to remember why I am eating this way. I wish I could bottle how I felt last night and just open up the bottle and take a whif every time I feel like eating junk..

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 08, 2008 09:21PM

I feel a bit more normal from reading this. I am struggleing also and have not been doing well since thanks giveing. When I ate a some of that cooked food I just crumbled. I have vowed to get back raw each morning and then I just cave in to what ever. I did find that after eating raw for six months some foods were just way to flavorless and salty. I started drinking coffee even though I began to understand and see how devestating the doffee was for my health. I think I will always struggle with coffee. I am happy that i did not start up smoking again. I have to cook for my family and that is difficult I think the holidays are a very stressfull time for me so I just caved. I was able to water fast for two weeks a couple of months ago and thought that would help me get on track but I tailspinned back to eating cooked foods. I noticed my personality was really changing even, I was becomming very negative and cranky. My blood preasure sky rocketed and I looked like I was run over by a truck. My thinking was becomming very foggy and forgettfull. Still I struggle with eating raw foods. So just three days ago I started water fasting again to try to right my body. I have been craving foods but I am trying to answer my thoughts as the theypop into my head. I feel I have crossed a line of sorts and know how wonderful I feel from eating raw food.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 08, 2008 11:30PM

pampam,

I've kicked the habit on several things in my life that had me hooked and cooked food is the latest one for me. I mentally picture the raw foods as being a safe and healthy path that I am on and the cooked food as being off the path on a slippery slope. I know that if I step off the path and onto the slippery slope my footing becomes a lot less secure and if I am not careful I may fall. Falling hurts and it can be a long and difficult trip to climb back up the slippery slope/cliff to get back to my safe path which is leading me to health and wellness. When I picture my journey in this way somehow I summon up the strength needed to not venture out on that slippery slope and stay safe and healthy on my way toward my goals. I wish you a safe and successful journey.

Date: May 08, 2008 11:54PM

mookie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I didn't realize how rotten I
> actually felt until I started feeling good-- this
> morning I am back on track. it really does help
> me to remember why I am eating this way. I wish I
> could bottle how I felt last night and just open
> up the bottle and take a whif every time I feel
> like eating junk..

I so agree with this. Remembering how crappy it feels to be cooked is the greatest incentive to staying raw. It's just that it's hard to remember, sometimes. Maybe we should write it all down and reread it for motivation once in a while. Good luck to you!

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 09, 2008 12:33AM

I have the same problem, sorta. I just crave sugar like crazy. Whole-wheat bread with agave and vegan butter spread to be exact. It's just like french toast. haha But, I did come up with a sweet raw mix that helps with the cooked sugar craving, although I'm trying to calm the sugar addiction all together.
Maybe 100% raw just isn't right at this time. It's all about the smooth transition it seems. I'm starting out raw for the first time myself. Just keep positive and don't punish yourself over your cravings. It's not like you run out to McDonalds for a Big Mac. ;-)
I wish you the best of luck!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 09, 2008 05:23AM

Thank-you ezrider for the support. I will try to use that as one of my arsenal of weapons. I have a real big self destruct button and sometimes that gets pushed then its real hard to find the off switch. I have discovered I need to concentrate on spiritual and physical issues and pray/meditate. I have never meditated but I have prayed so That is what I will try. I hope this fast will set me straight. I feel a little better and have been craveing raw foods. Sometimes I have been craving everything though. I am feeling stronger in my resolve to eat non cooked foods.

Posted by: Werewolf ()
Date: May 09, 2008 08:16PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone responding to my post. Everyone here is just... so supportive (not to mention full of good advice). I tend to be mostly a lurker on this board, but even then, I can just FEEL the love on this board, hee hee.

Anyway, hearing your responses make me feel more normal, too. Knowing that so many people going raw struggle with the same things makes me feel less freakish and more human.

I like what you wrote, Pixie. About everyday being a blank slate. I know that I'll have slip ups in the future, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing, you know? It's just something I have to accept so that when it happens I don't have to beat myself up about it, and I can move on and keep shooting for the moon smiling smiley Truthfully, I'm more dedicated to going raw than I have ever been with anything else in my life. Just like I know that I'll have slip ups along the way, I know that I'll also eventually reach my goal.

Woah, I'm feeling so optimistic about everything, suddenly! smiling smiley Thanks everyone.

-Alex

Date: May 09, 2008 09:23PM

Just don't give up!

Tastes change over time, too. I'm starting to prefer the sweetness of deliciously ripe fruit to raw gourmet desserts, which were a definite help in times of need. So I've found my cravings going from something like:

*rolling on bed after Thai fried bananas* "WHY, GOD, WHY?!"
-to-
*sitting uncomfortably at table with raw dessert and a headache* "Too much agave... bad combinations..."
-to-
"Maybe I shouldn't have eaten half of the giant papaya...?"
-to-
? Hopefully not craving or overeating at all!

Always, always treat yourself with kindness. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables