Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What juices would be low glycemic and not spike insulin...
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: June 06, 2008 03:00PM

I'm assuming carrot juice is a bad choice but is that true even if it's mixed with greens or apple?

I can't do green juices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What juices would be low glycemic and not spike insulin...
Date: June 06, 2008 11:09PM

I have read that grapefruit, pear, plum and peach juice are all low glycemic

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 07, 2008 02:14AM

Straight Carrot Juice has never bothered me. Test all the juices on your own Body. Don't go by the Charts or what other people say......WY

Posted by: alwaysbelieve1 ()
Date: June 08, 2008 01:19AM

Any greens...

Good info here: [www.glycemicindex.com]

Hard Work Always Equals Results.

[www.arizonakettlebelltraining.com]

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 09, 2008 12:51PM

Watermelon.. you probably know.. has a high GI, but a low GL (glycemic load) per serving.... GI does not take into account the serving size. And if you juice the rind which is basically like cucumber (watermelon is of that family) even better imo. Watermelon has a GI of 72 (high) and a GL or 4 (low) for a 120 gram serving (a slice +/-).... edit: up the serving size and the GL will obviously increase..

"The glycemic load (GL) is a relatively new way to assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a fuller picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food's effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn't a lot of it, so watermelon's glycemic load is relatively low. A GL of 20 or more is high, a GL of 11 to 19 inclusive is medium, and a GL of 10 or less is low." [www.mendosa.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 12:57PM by loeve.

Date: June 09, 2008 02:00PM

Oh, carrots..

Root vegetables:

Carrots, NS (Canada).... GI=92±20.... Serving = 80g.... GL = 5 per seving

[www.mendosa.com]

.. never had any problem with carrots either

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2008 02:01PM by loeve.

Date: June 12, 2008 11:25AM

The mendosa website also links to a more expansive table which shows suggested diabetic choices and has units also in ounces, and carb calcs. [www.mendosa.com]

According to the color code of the table, carrots are considered "low glycemic" for diabetics, apples are low to medium (to answer your original post). I didn't see greens listed.. suspect they would be "off the chart" low glycemic, so yes, I would feel free to mix (though I'm not diabetic..)

I had a whole large juiced cantaloupe yesterday at one sitting and felt funky for quite a while. My brother-inlaw is just recently.. and we all asked to be tested at a recent get-together.. like our own little clinic, which might sound weird but was actually kind of fun.

hope this helps

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: July 07, 2008 01:48AM

what happens when you do green juices? Is it an allergic reaction?

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: July 10, 2008 05:30AM

yogi33 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what happens when you do green juices? Is it an
> allergic reaction?

No I just hate the taste and they make me gag..except for wheatgrass and celery.

Anyway..carrots and spinach hasn't been bothering me.

Posted by: Witek ()
Date: August 06, 2008 08:48PM

I'm diabetic so I can see the immediate effect of juices on my blood sugar. I've also done a juice fast/feast and had to find low-sugar juices to consume.

Carrots are only low glycemic when you eat them with the fiber. When juiced they (to me) are medium-high in sugar. Same with beets.

I found the best thing to do was make the base of my juice with Celery, Tomato, Zucchini, or Cucumber (which have zero effect on sugar) and then add a bit of Carrot, Apple, Beet, or other sweet juice to it, as well as juice from green leafy vegetables for more nutrition. This helped me in maintaining steady sugar levels with very minimal insulin required.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 08:50PM by Witek.

Date: August 08, 2008 02:12AM

When I was juicing a lot, I always liked the combination
of Celery and Carrot juices. It had a 'mellow' taste....WY

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 14, 2008 01:36PM

hiya

likeitornot

have u ever juiced string beans?

they are surprisingly sweet
in a very signature mild but definetely sweet way

however, they are supposed to be good for blood sugar stabilization
and people who are diabetic

so.... maybe u could juice string beans and see what happens

maybe that with celery

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 15, 2008 10:40PM

hey there la vie, l.i.o.n., wg,jodee and everybuddy,

must bee the beet,carrot, apple,and lemon i just drank....whooooooo.

i regards to low glycemic and string bean...good idea.

try adding some inulin riche jerusalem artichokes to the string beans.

by the way: they are so easy to grow anywhere. keep them in the ground till you need them. just buy a few at the grocery store and plant them anywhere..they have neat mini sunflower blossoms when gettin close to harvest time.

also: i just located one of my favorite songs of all time on you tube.

[www.youtube.com]

and thank you for the paul potts opera..... la vie. it is on my desktop and i listen to it often. what a wonderful example of objective art. very rare for these days i think. it almost brings tears to my eyes with each listening.

for those who missed la vie's "long ago posting of paul potts" on the uk version of american idol here it is again.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2008 10:15PM

I don't know if this is helpful at all but using a low sugar juice and adding stevia to it might be the best solution for a flavored and sweet drink. I use a brand called SweetLeaf that has no calories, no carbs and NO GLYCEMIC INDEX. A lot of stevia products use maltodextrin as fillers which will spike your insulin so you have to be careful and always read labels as I'm sure you know!

Also, I found these videos about SweetLeaf and stevia on YouTube if anyone wants to check them out for more info:

[youtube.com]

[youtube.com]

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: August 26, 2008 08:15AM

You might want to try making green smoothies without the fruit. You'll need to pick out about 4 or 5 leafy greens you can tolerate, along with some celery and a piece of cucumber,an avocado, stevia, coconut water, ice, and an optional lemon.

Get your high power blender out - Vita Mix or Blend Tek, and put everything inside. I personally like blending sprouts in my smoothies, and for my green smoothie I will use a bunch of either sunflower sprouts, clover sprouts or pea shoots along with a bunch of leaves of romaine or butter lettuce (it is very mild tasting),a handful of spinach, a small chunk of green cabbage ( it's fairly mild and good for the stomach) a few stalks of celery, a piece of cucumber( about 1/2 a large one), a half or whole avocado depending on my mood and appetite that day, a scoop of stevia( or stevia to taste). I will pour in water from 1 coconut and add a big scoop of crushed ice. The ice is what gives it the "smoothie " feel.winking smiley If you want you can also add a whole or half a lemon without the peel if you like lemon. Blend away til smooth.

Yes it's totally weird to eat smoothies without fruit if you're not used to it, but this is really satisfying, creamy smooth, gently sweet and veggy-licious. Without the sugar.

Try some of your favorite greens, or at least the ones you can tolerate for now and see if you like it. I find it energizing and a great breakfast food to keep me and get me going in the a.m.

PEACE
Choco

Date: August 26, 2008 09:20AM

Choco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might want to try making green smoothies
> without the fruit.
That's good advice, but the original Topic
asked about Juices. I've shifted gears from Juicing to
Blending, so I was very interested in your No-Fruit
Green Smoothie. I like a little Fruit in mine....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables