Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Why does one need to spend more on a blender?
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 05, 2008 09:58AM

I have been looking around on line at the various blenders available in the UK.

There seem to be several around the £56/60 mark that have a good spec. i.e. 750W motor, detachable blades for easy cleaning and a nice glass jug.

On this business of cleaning - I know that WY said he just swills water around the jug and that is fine but what about if you have made something a little bit stiffer and you need to be able to get at the blades? Doesn't it make sense to have a blender where the blades are detachable?

Will a cheaper blender blend as well as a more expensive one - what Are you getting for your extra (quite considerable)money? Many people seem very happy with their less expensive blenders.

The one that I was interested in could blend frozen fruit, ice (not that I think I will want to blend either of those things) tough veg. etc. and I really liked the fact that it has a glass jar.

Sorry about the long post but I really want to buy a blender but my partners eyebrows flew of his face when I told him how much a Vitamix cost. his simple question was 'Why do you need to spend so much'

so over to you guys...... thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why does one need to spend more on a blender?
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: August 05, 2008 08:37PM

The short answer??..You don't have to..

But, and this is an incredibly important point that many beginning raw foodists ignore; a blender designed for intermittent use in the home in no way resembles in price, features, or performance the blenders sold by Vita-Mix, K-Tec, & Waring..

The blenders from these 3 manufacturers, that are constantly being discussed on raw food forums, are designed with features & power for constant daily commercial use..These features & power come with a hefty price tag..The old adage that "You get what you pay for" holds especially true for these blenders..

The line is blurring somewhat between residential blenders & commercial ones as makers like Breville & others compete for a piece of the high-end blender market..It used to be that there were low-cost "Home" or residential blenders & commercial blenders, separated by a huge gap in price, features, & performance..

Now a lot of manufacturers want a piece of the high-end consumer blender market..Commercial blenders used to be sold only to restaurants, bars, ice cream shops, & smoothie bars..The occasional one was sold to a chef or employee of a restaurant..With the increase in consumer awareness as regards to health, & the growing number of raw foodists, the high-end consumer market for blenders has literally exploded in the past 5-10 years..This is especially true the past 2-3 years..

In general, a $25.00-$50.00 blender cannot be the equal of a $75.00-$100.00 blender..A $100.00 blender cannot not be the equal of a $200.00-$250.00 blender..A $200.00-$250.00 blender cannot be the equal to a $350.00-$475.00 blender..These are the general price ranges for blenders today in the USA..

$25.00-$50.00.......Low-end consumer models
$75.00-$100.00......Slightly higher-end consumer models
$200.00-$250.00.....High-end consumer models from K-tec, Waring, & Vita-Mix
$350.00-$475.00.....Low-end commercial models from Waring & Vita-Mix
$750.00-$3500.00....High-end commercial models with noise-deadening enclosures aimed primarily at smoothie bars & raw restaurants..

For more detailed info regarding the three brands mentioned click onto Wheatgrass Yogi's name or my name..Then click onto the Message List..Click onto any number of posts spanning the past year or so..We, and others as well, have discussed these blenders many, many times..

Good luck in your choice!!..

Just remember to use any blender purchased within it's limitations..At the first sign of the motor slowing down significantly, turn it off..Add liquid(s), stir the contents of the carafe up to loosen the ingredients, & proceed with blending..If necessary, remove some of the contents from the carafe & blend the contents in separate batches in order to give the electric motor a break..Also remember this point...ANY blender can be permanently ruined by over loading the carafe & ignoring the warning signs of electrical motor overload..Even a $2500.00 commercial blender..I've seen it happen..

Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables