Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

new kid on the block
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 17, 2008 06:38AM

Hello One and All,

Glad to find this board. I've been studying up on cleansing and juice fasting for a year and a half, reading books by Elson Haas M.D., Steve Meryerowitz and others. At first I tried smoothie fasting, but that didn't work for me. Too cold, too much sugar. Finally I got busy with my Champion juicer, and am on day 7 of 14 of juicing all day, then eating a light, small dinner.

In the morning I start the day with a pint glass of fresh water. Then a pint of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. After exercise, breakfast is a pint of fruit juice like orange grape, or carrot celery apple. Then I follow up with three more pints throughout the day of veggie only juice: carrot beet and greens like spinach or parsley, sometimes ginger. I've been enjoying experimenting also with beet greens, cucumber, and radish. Radish makes it so spicy!! I don't know that I will use radish again, maybe smaller quantities. I'll try kale in the next two days. Love Tuscan kale.

For dinner I've been eating by 6pm steamed veggies and rice, or homemade soup and salad, or veggies and half a baked potato...I feel really good, and staying good and hydrated with lots of fresh water.

I really hope to keep it up for the second week, and expect that it will renew my appreciation for pure clean food. I feel very prepared now for a real juice fast! I feel so clean inside! Even my mouth and throat feel clean.

Just in a week, I've come to understand how important hydration is to good elimination...and look forward to my first time with a colonic tomorrow.

My partner is supportive of my new habits, but doesn't join me. It's such a delight to know that I can with a light heart, let him have his decadent stuff in the house, and watch him eat it, and be unruffled by it, and untempted. Aaahhh, detachment from the desire to self destruct.

Any advice, or book recommendations? I love having good books to reference.

Take care one and all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new kid on the block
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 18, 2008 12:44AM

Thoughtful intro Lady Elle -- welcome, sounds like you are well equiped.. I also like juiced kale.. with carrots usually and coconut especially when it gets cold outside.. your fast seems to be going well.. loeve

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 18, 2008 12:50AM

hey welcome welcome welcome !! =D

so what do you do with all your pulps an cast offs ? ive been using all of mine in facemasks and body scrubs ...

not sure if they are doing much .. but i like think of it as my personal raw spa winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: November 18, 2008 06:05PM

Thank you for the warm welcome. Using pulp as a scrub is a great idea. I've never tried that....so far mine all goes in to the green yard waste receptacle that my city provides. They also provide a small green can for kitchen waste - isn't that cool. Since I don't have a garden to compost for, my stuff goes to city composting - a nice feeling. Of course, I don't *really* know what they do with it, just what they say they do with it... What do all of you do with your pulp?

New favorite juice: Granny Smith apples and celery - yum! Remember Jolly Ranchers?

Date: November 18, 2008 11:05PM

Lady_Elle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for the warm welcome. Using pulp as a
> scrub is a great idea. I've never tried that....so
> far mine all goes in to the green yard waste
> receptacle that my city provides. They also
> provide a small green can for kitchen waste -
> isn't that cool. Since I don't have a garden to
> compost for, my stuff goes to city composting - a
> nice feeling. Of course, I don't *really* know
> what they do with it, just what they say they do
> with it... What do all of you do with your pulp?
>
> New favorite juice: Granny Smith apples and celery
> - yum! Remember Jolly Ranchers?

Composting is very cool, especially segregated as your city apparently does.. my town composts household waste together with plastic, styrofoam and sewage sludge and then offers it back to the public free of charge.... no thanks!!

They don't get my pulp from juicing.. just had a squash/cranberry juice and am enjoying (sort of) the colorful but soso tasting pulp salad.

Love juiced apples!.... what is Jolly Ranchers?

Date: November 21, 2008 06:57PM

Jolly Ranchers are a hard candy that I used to enjoy as a kid. The Granny Smith apples when juiced remind me of green apple Jolly Ranchers....only so much better of course!

How weird and unsavory to compost with plastic, etc...I wonder what they expect people to grow with this toxic brew? Yuck!

Happy Friday, E.

Date: November 22, 2008 01:35AM

Lady_Elle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jolly Ranchers are a hard candy that I used to
> enjoy as a kid. The Granny Smith apples when
> juiced remind me of green apple Jolly
> Ranchers....only so much better of course!
>
> How weird and unsavory to compost with plastic,
> etc...I wonder what they expect people to grow
> with this toxic brew? Yuck!
>
>
> Happy Friday, E.

Ah, the candy, good to know.... I had it confused with "Jolly Rogers", the flag of pirates, silly me..

It turns out my community is on the list of those who produce "Class A biosolids" from all that odd assortment of waste, which can be legally sold to retail outlets for use in potting soil, soil amendments, fertilizers and so on.. go figure [www.mass.gov]

Posted by: judy2008 ()
Date: December 17, 2008 03:34AM

Carol Alt's book has a recipe that uses carrot pulp. If anyone is interested.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables