Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do you clean your Blender?
Posted by: Rawie ()
Date: February 06, 2009 07:34AM

There's a lot of mineral build-ups in the pitch. I tried soaking it in hot water with vinegar overnight. It didn't do much. I don't want to scorch the plastic with a 3M pad. Has anyone tried the mineral wash? Is it very harsh and abrasive?

-thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you clean your Blender?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 06, 2009 02:49PM

I rinse mine out with warm water after each
use and have never needed to clean it the way you're
mentioning. The problem with Cleaners and Solvents is
the stronger they are, the more they tend to remove some
of the surface along with the stain.
Since your container is plastic, I'd wash it with soap and
water, and either live with it, or replace the container.....WY

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: May 03, 2009 11:43PM

In the HP3A (Blendtec's) 2"-3" of warm water, 2-3 drops of liquid dish detergent pulsed 4-5 times or run on any medium cycle does the cleaning just fine, rinse, dry, and ready.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 03, 2009 11:47PM

Soap and water.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: May 04, 2009 01:46PM

hi rawie, in mine (vitamix) there are dark stains (from the greens i would imagine) in the corners everywhere. i always wash it right after use everytime so nothing ever sits in it.
so i tried a magic eraser the other day and it worked!..you know those white sponges made by mr. clean?
good luck yawning smiley)

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 12, 2009 05:33AM

I just rinse immediately with hot water.

mmmveg - is that a smoothie or juice foam picture??? I am salivating for spinach and beets when i see that....!

Date: May 12, 2009 05:51AM

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just rinse immediately with hot water.
I use warm water. But the 'secret' to keeping the
canister clean is to wipe it dry after each rinse. That prevents
build-up. Just rinsing and air-drying will eventually, over time,
produce a nasty container....WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 12, 2009 02:50PM

mmmveg,

The Magic Eraser contains formeldahyde--that's why it could erase you if you rubbed hard enough! Immediately after emptying the contents into a glass, I soak the blender cup in hot water and Ecover dish soap or wash it, and it doesn't seem to be staining at all. If it were worse, I'd use a hydrogen peroxide soak. If the staining were really, really bad, I'd assume the plastic was breached and leaching, and I'd buy a new carafe.

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: May 15, 2009 01:50PM

hi tamukha,
wow! i says to myself...really? that sounds terrible! i googled for a bit and found this:
[www.snopes.com]
i've learned not to believe everything you read...?
i dunno.

cocao_nibs,

that a pic right after i juiced some beets and greens and stuff. no foam though. i just gave it a light stir and thought it was pretty!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 15, 2009 07:37PM

Consider a faucet upgrade if you don't already have a shower type setting in your kitchen. More pressure, better for cleaning. O/w, soap and water .

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 15, 2009 11:08PM

mmmveg,

I heard about this from the Canadian TV show, Marketplace from a few years ago. In it, the show had chemical analyses done on the Magic Eraser and determined that it does, indeed, have sufficient formeldahyde[which is NEVER nontoxic] in it to poison a small child if partly consumed. The episode hinged on the manufacturer's not labeling the product as potentially hazardous(they are, of course, not required to by law). It's super that Mr Clean claims on Snopes that the Magic Eraser is safe, but they provide no actual chemical data to support this contention. The analogy that they make to table salt sent up all kinds of red flags for me. It is possible, certainly, that they've changed the formulation of the thing, but it's a "magic" eraser. Nothing nontoxic cleans things that way and that quickly. Maybe white vinegar and ten minutes of elbow grease. I'm sure, based on its appearance and smell, that it still contains stuff I don't want anywhere near my food prep tools. Maybe I am being paranoid, but . . . thanks for posting the link to help us decide : )

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 20, 2009 03:03AM

If I use hot water it is dry within seconds. Any reason you use warm not hot? Does it affect the plastic? Thanks for the tips

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 31, 2009 01:02PM

I usually put a few oz. of water in mine, a couple of ice cubes & a drop or two of dish soap. Give it a whirl for 30 seconds or so, then scrub with a bottle brush, rinse well. No stains here.

Every few days I will disassemble the jar & scrub around the blades, threads, etc. Keeps everything as good as new.

when my old centrifugal juicers would get a build-up of mineral deposits, I would soak them for a few hours in a diluted bleach/water solution. It would remove everything, they looked like new.

Never gave any thought to softening of the plastic, etc., but can't say I've had any problems with that, and I have soaked them several times over the years.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 01, 2009 06:43PM

detergent type chemical can leave a small residue which may have links to heart and artewry problems according to dr. hans nieper renowned and respected cancer researcher and scientist from hannover west germany.

i use plain hot water on all food related appliances.

for what its worth...

juicin' joh n

Date: June 01, 2009 08:23PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i use plain hot water on all food related
> appliances.
I've been using Cold Water here lately, and it's working
fine.
I installed a Tankless Water Heater that only heats the water as it
is used (saves energy). They're very popular in Europe....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 01, 2009 11:51PM

Well, I am obviously re-thinking my cleaning regimen after reading this thread. I googled around a bit and came up w/ different recipes using a variety of "safe" ingredients for making ones' own cleaning solution.

Some of the different ingredients are;

Vinegar
Lemon juice (fresh squeezed Lemon)
Essential oil, a few drops
Baking soda
Liquid castile soap

What do you all think? Seems like you need to use something more than plain water to wash the blender, and also regular dish washing.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: June 28, 2009 09:50PM

I rinse my VM jug immediately in cold water. Refill, blend, then rinse again.

I never had anything stuck apart from when i tried to make nut butter a few years ago. I never bothered to do it twice....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables