Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
exotic juicing ideas...
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: February 17, 2009 05:35PM

hi everyone

ive been away for awhile ...nice to be back.

a couple of impressive sources for juicing!

check out japanese knotweed.....it pops up in spring and in its early stagesw is very juicable. tangy ..and sorta like rhubarb. value lies in the fact that it contains 43 times more resveratrol than grapes.( which btw must have the skins in seeds in contact with each other for a week or so to release the resveratrol content. resveratrol is a catalyzing agent for situin our body's"fountain of youth" molecule. it is activated by the resveratrol. japanese knotweed grows prolifically and once its gets going it stays and comes up year after year. it is easy to find. it has jointed stocks kinda like bamboo and is only juicable in its early stages. the roo has the highest concentrations of resveratrol. ive not juiced the roots on the above ground and pleasantly tart portions of the plant. you need a twin gear juicer to juice this stuff.

[alternativehealing.org]

i will tell you about the next one on laterpost on this thread have an important appointment to keep just now.

also have been eating my juices like soup with a large soup spoon, and its
quite enjoyable. just made some carrot, celery, beet, and potatatoe and its very good.

i will continue later on....

juicin' john
also

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exotic juicing ideas...
Date: February 17, 2009 10:17PM

hi i just got back.

this is the other find..russian olive or autumn olive.

[www.psa-rising.com]

i wrote a big long story and it dissappeared when i clicked over to finish my story with this link. if anybody wants to hear more i will start another version of the story upon request.

anybody else ever lose their reply when clicking onto another site? man i spent 15 minutes writing it and poof...its gone when i clicked on to the site to get this link.

juicin john

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 17, 2009 11:19PM

It's nice to see you're back JJ. Has anything
changed in your World of Juicing?
I'm still convinced that Juicing and Blending is the way
to go. On a good day, I use 3 different Juicers and my one
Blender......WY

Posted by: mrgreen ()
Date: February 18, 2009 01:52AM

Thanks for the tips. I am putting together a map fo my area for foraging - I see that both the Japanese Knotweed and the Autumn Olive grow in my state - I cannot locate a site that has a picture of a newly sprouting Japanese Knotweed - have u a source for what it looks like while in its 'juicable' state?

"If you're not tough it's hard to survive in this world; and if you're not kind then you don't deserve to survive." –Raymond Chandler

Date: February 18, 2009 05:40PM

may i say that juicing the autumn olive in the green star twin gear is a real joy...all i have to do is fill the feeding tray to the top and the little red berries feed themselves into the twin gears and the little white seeds sepatate from the juice and an amazingly beatiful shade of a red color (not common hue) begins collecting in the juice cup. the juice is thicker than "normal" and has a pleasant seet and tart flavor. i am envisioning a nice long mono- juice fast next autumn when the berries are ripe. since it is a wild food it has not been degraded in its nutritional values as are many of our domesticated fruits.

regarding the japanese knot weed.....

it grows in large "clumps" in its native habitat, rendering it easy to spot from a distance once you know what it looks like. i will search for a picture of it for yours and everyones benefit..but i will post this message befor going to another site to find one. the dried sticks which are really dry by november are an interesting arts and crafts material. resembling a knotted bamboo and haveing a nice brownish red color.

posting picture when i find,

jj

Date: February 18, 2009 05:43PM

here are some very good and reliable pic:

[www.knottybits.com]

jj

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 18, 2009 06:24PM

welcome back JJ !! so are ya looking forward to spring as much as me !! grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: February 18, 2009 07:01PM

hey there wheatgrass yogi... thanks for the welcome back!

agreed! juicing and blending are right on for the best way to go.

the living water we get from juices is a very special and far different than the water we drink. a new paradigm of cellular physiology first hypothecized by gilbert ling called the pm (polarized-multilayer) opens up a whole new way of appreciating the water we get from fresh juicing!

this discovery has two existing counterparts which are called:

1. (lfch) ling's fixed charge hypothesis (preceeding the a-i hypothesis)
2. (a-i hypothesis) association-induction hypothesis (also by gilbert ling)

[www.physiologicalchemistryandphysics.com]

somewhat advanced reading but within is the future paradigm for our understanding of living cells.

[www.gilbertling.org]

jj

Date: February 18, 2009 07:03PM

hey jgunn...
thanks for the welcome ...is wheatgrass green? lol

spring time soon.

jj

Date: February 18, 2009 07:21PM

sharing about the best vitamin for those who seek to supplement with some efficacious vitamin products.

jj

Date: February 18, 2009 08:09PM

[www.lifestar.com]

here is the link i forgot to enclose in previous post.

jj

Posted by: mrgreen ()
Date: February 19, 2009 02:05PM

Thank you for the picture links. I know I have seen that japanese knotwood around. Looking forward to Spring.....

"If you're not tough it's hard to survive in this world; and if you're not kind then you don't deserve to survive." –Raymond Chandler

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2009 07:44PM

HOWDDEEE juicin john!!

long time no hear
i thought that perhaps you stepped into a gorgeous meadow
got hypnotized by all the beautiful greens
and meserizing berries

and just kinda got LOST
heh hehsmiling smiley

glad yer back though

u said that you wrote a STORY then it got erased

i'm super interested

i love storiessmiling smiley

tell us!

Date: February 20, 2009 12:36AM

hey la vie......

comment ca va?

thanks for the welcome back.

day 5 for me on a jjuice fast with enemas and saunas. missed my december fast and i am just kinda floating around at the moment.

i promise to tell the story although a major part of it appears in the above post regarding autumn olive. please remind me if i should forgit. i will have to start it all over as anew since it was written quite fluidly in a stream of consciousness mode,i sure do love that word consciousness. btw: did you ever get to read psychology of man's possible evolution by ouspensky? its a real eye opener if you pay close attention to what he is describing.

nice to be back

juicin' john

Date: February 20, 2009 04:17PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey jgunn...
> thanks for the welcome ...is wheatgrass green?
> lol
>
> spring time soon.
>
> jj

haha indeed it is !! I got my first seed catalog in the 3rd week of january and fell asleep with it LOL . this weekend I am gonna start a bunch of seeds in flats for transplanting later on smiling smiley

I have had poor luck with direct seeding the last 2 years up here but all the transplants came out really well. for a couple of reasons ... weve only been here 3 summers now coming up and the soil is more clay then I am used to so still conditioning the clumpy soil and i think its too hard for the seeds to take directly compared to transplants .. and secondly the last 2 springs have been so wet that things just rotted before they had a chance

i did however guerrilla plant a few fruit trees in my neighborhood this last year and owners of the front yards are taking care of them (they dont know it was me lol) so my global street plan of fruit domination is well under way winking smiley

Date: February 20, 2009 08:24PM

wow...guerilla girl

nice work!

i have been thinking about immigrating to canada ....any thoughts on what i sould do?

not certain but i sure like the country up there alot.

jj

Date: February 20, 2009 08:34PM

well JJ i am partial to british columbia but i live here tongue sticking out smiley send me an email and i can start firing off some ideas to you ! nwjodi@yahoo.com

the community i live in has a lot of expats here from the 60s so its pretty nifty

smiling smiley

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 21, 2009 05:12AM

I live in the pacific northwest, do you think these plants live here? I have not seen them,

J.J have you tried spring nettles in your juicing experiances. They have some good bennies and they are just starting to sprout up.

Date: February 22, 2009 05:58PM

yes..pampam

they are so good that i have a special place for them in my veggie garden.
they appeared on their own and when i got "stung" i realized what they were.
btw: the seeds can be chewed as brain tonic to alleviate fatigue etc. i found that out from som information i got from gaia herbs (richard scalzo one of the top herbalists in the world)

regarding the above two mentioned plants....yes i would guess with a pretty good feeling that they can be ffound up in your area. both are really neat plants.

jj

Date: February 23, 2009 03:18AM

thanks about the nettle seeds, I did'nt know if I could eat the seeds. Last year I juiced some and made green smoothies but I am not sure just how much I should eat a day because I had so much energy I could not sleap at night after the third day of eating them. I intend to make a very special place for the nettles this year though. They are so special.

Date: February 24, 2009 03:48PM

I wonder how much of the knot weed to eat. How much do you eat, JJ? How much reservetal does someone need? I am searching for the knot weed. Thanks a bunch

Date: February 26, 2009 03:54PM

pampam

this is my first year coming up and i am planning on juicing the the young shoots when they appear in the spring. i will be experimenting on myself here so i am not really qualified at this point of my adventure to offer anyone advice on how to and how much. i fist learned about japanese knotweed many years ago from a euell gibbons book on wild plant forageing(stalking the wild asperagus). i picked some of the early growth in late spring and steamed the tender stalks and they had a very nice sour taste like rhubarb. last year i read ina nother book about the resveratrol content and decided to lookinto the idea from a whole new and exciting perspective as regards juicing it. i lo9cated severl patches of it while driving in my local area and btw: it grows almost everywhere! easy to find. i am also going to look into juicing the roots which as i understand are also containing the resveratrol molecule. i will keep everyone posted as i progress with it.

jj

Date: February 26, 2009 04:03PM

JJ, I had an opportunity to talk with a gal who works woth the noxis weed control and she had no idea the knot weed was edible, they use round up on the plan to control it but they use it when the plant starts to leaf out so I am thinking the young shoots will be fine to eat. I am also wondering if I could juice some and freeze it in Ice trays for later use. I know it is best to juice and use it right then however I have been thinking of next winter and how to survive being raw and all.

Date: February 26, 2009 10:05PM

i doubt if the resveratrol would be affected by the freezing.

jj

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: February 28, 2009 06:13PM

I would love to forage fresh greens and stuffs! Berries too if they were sweet id probably eat em though but who knows? I'd try berry juice!

Date: March 10, 2009 12:03PM

hi JJ

i am sorry that i didn't read the oupensky book that you advised me to read
no excuse, actually
just didn't get around to it

i still want to hear the story though
even though u told most of it

Date: March 21, 2009 07:52AM

hey juicin john

hows the exotic japanese knotweed juicin coming along, hmmmm?

do u mix it with anything else like celery or grapes?

just wondering

Date: March 22, 2009 12:38AM

hey there la vie!

its still too early in the year. its been a while since i watched it grow. when i was a child we had it grown inside of a group of flowers called peonies and it was my job to weed it out every year so i didn't get to know it on good note initially. it is a hearty grower and left to itself it will take ove and crowd out any other plant.

in fact i looked ate side yard at the old house last spring and it was still there but not in the stong growth proportions which it used to have. i took a few of the roots and planted them where i live and i will watch and see how they do.

the early staocks and leaves are certainly juicable up to the middle of june to early july i am guessing after that they start getting kinda wood and difficult to juice. also the roots i hear have a good resveratrol content but i'm not sure about the taste. ido know that the early stalks are not bad tasting and reminicent of rhubard flavor.

i'm anxious to get the japanese knotweed juicing thing started and i will let you know how it goes.

i think it grows just about anywhere and everywhere so it should be available to you as well. once you see it you won't have any difficulty finding some well established patches of it in your area.

nice hearing from you,

juicin' john

Date: March 26, 2009 06:00AM

hey juicin john

that is so cool

u got pics too?

wish they sold it at the stores

are they yummy too? eaten in a salad?

maybe juice it with your favorite concoction of apple lemon and ginger?
i tried that combo and it was niceeeeesmiling smiley

Date: March 26, 2009 04:32PM

[www.knottybits.com]

hi la vie

here are some pics.

it"s easy to find.

it would go super with the apple lemon ginger.

jj

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables