Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Long-Term Juice Fast
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: April 20, 2009 02:28PM

Man, if that isn't sticking my neck out, I don't know what is! ;-p My subject line leaves me no room to wiggle out of this juice fast early-- which is good. WY is joining me, and I'm excited to have such a great, as well as experienced fasting buddy to spur me on.

Today is day 3 for me. I'm doing mostly carrot juice. Sometimes I spike it with a little ginger or lime juice. My favorite combination is to add a little apple juice + ginger. I've also had some grapefruit, and pineapple/celery juice.

I'm amazed how great I started feeling on the second day of my fast. There is real magic in juice fasting. The first effects I always feel are mental/
emotional: calmness, increased ability to look within and access intuitive insight, and a heightened sense of well-being. I've already lost a few pounds and my stomach is much flatter. (Gotta love that!) I noticed yesterday, too, that I was starting to get the urge to do yoga or tai chi-like dance movements again. I make myself go to the gym almost every day to work out or do some form of aerobics, but what I'd really love is for the energy and motivation to kick in to pursue these other forms of exercise at home in the evenings.

Curiously, early on there was no hunger. It's so nice not to be hungry in the evening.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long-Term Juice Fast
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 20, 2009 11:44PM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Man, if that isn't sticking my neck out, I don't
> know what is! ;-p My subject line leaves me no
> room to wiggle out of this juice fast early--
> which is good.
I'm going to have trouble on Mother's Day. What
are you going to do?

> WY is joining me, and I'm excited
> to have such a great, as well as experienced
> fasting buddy to spur me on.
I'm with you. However, my experience is more in
growing Wheatgrass than in Fasting. BTW, I've suspended my
Wheatgrass growing during this Juice Fast. It would be too
much in addition to juicing 3 times a day.

> Today is day 3 for me. I'm doing mostly carrot
> juice. Sometimes I spike it with a little ginger
> or lime juice. My favorite combination is to add a
> little apple juice + ginger. I've also had some
> grapefruit, and pineapple/celery juice.
The Die is Cast for me. It's Pineapple Juice in the
morning, Carrot Juice in the afternoon, and Celery Juice in the
evening. If I can't get Pineapple, it'll be Apple.

> I noticed yesterday, too, that
> I was starting to get the urge to do yoga
Tonya Zavasta has a new book out..."Raw Food and Hot
Yoga". I've read about 1/4 of the book. It's Excellent. Tonya is
a Genius. She even imprinted the x-ray of her Titanium Hips on
the cover of the book to motivate us by showing what a tremendous
Handicap she has overcome.

> Curiously, early on there was no hunger. It's so
> nice not to be hungry in the evening.
I got hungry today for the first time. I took a little
water, and was okay....WY

Date: April 21, 2009 04:31AM

>I'm going to have trouble on Mother's Day. What
are you going to do?<

I'm going to sip a delicious carrot cocktail while I call my mother in Tucson to wish her a Happy Mother's Day! ;-) Might be a little more difficult if I were visiting her in person, but she supports my juice fasting, so I'm lucky there. (Back in the day she was rabidly opposed to it-- having been a nurse and all-- but then she had a near death experience and became a glorious, wise woman, and now she is 100% supportive of me in all that I do.)

If at all possible, I'd say just tell your folks you're doing a juice fast, and sip some orange juice or even water, and enjoy their company.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 21, 2009 05:21AM

my dad says my smoothies look like dogs barf in a jar tongue sticking out smiley but he respects my choices winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 21, 2009 10:47AM

kwan Wrote:
> I'm going to sip a delicious carrot cocktail while
> I call my mother in Tucson to wish her a Happy
> Mother's Day!
I've decided to join my family at my mother's
apartment after there is no Food involved.
Kwan...Are you getting any Green Juice? I'm going to juice
some Mixed Greens along with the Celery tonight.
Happy Juicing Day....WY
P.S. Jodi...Why don't you join us for a day sometime? Anyone
else too.

Date: April 21, 2009 02:13PM

WY--
Green juice is on its way. I'm going to get wheatgrass at my local co-op (they make it in the cafe) and also make sure I juice a whole bunch of celery every day. Yesterday, however, I didn't get enough greens.

>P.S. Jodi...Why don't you join us for a day sometime? Anyone else too.<

Yes! Please do, Jodi and everybody. The more the merrier!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 21, 2009 03:23PM

My smoothies often put people off too, especially if they're green or brown. When I'm making an extra effort not to make people uncomfortable, like at a family function, I mix the smoothie with an eye toward non-threatening colors. My fruity smoothie is easier to accept if it's bright red or orange, even yellow. At these times I either leave out the greens, or I use ones that aren't actually green (a lot of cabbage and celery are nearly colorless, but still yummy).

I also find that wetter smoothies make people more comfortable than thick ones. Some extra juice, water or coconut water helps me to ensure that what I'm drinking looks like a beverage.

Jgunn Wrote:
> my dad says my smoothies look like dogs barf in a
> jar tongue sticking out smiley but he respects my choices winking smiley

Date: April 22, 2009 12:07AM

Kwan....I hope today went well for you. I did 3 juicings
today...9am, 3pm, and 7:30pm. Are you stopping at 3pm?
I think we need to identify the 'need' for our Fast. I've been having
Back Pain for years from a Bulging Disc. I feel confident that this long
Juice Fast we're doing will allow my Body to heal itself. Do you have
anything?....WY
P.S. I appreciate you. If you weren't with me on this, today is the day I
would have stopped....still in pain.

Date: April 22, 2009 01:54AM

>Kwan....I hope today went well for you. I did 3 juicings
today...9am, 3pm, and 7:30pm. Are you stopping at 3pm?<
Thanks, WY! I had a great day, but I didn't push myself much today. I sensed fairly intense detox going on, so all I did today was practice music with my friend, shop at the grocery store, juice and nap. I'm in really good spirits, but I feel kind of 'lazy.' ;-) I had juice 4 times today, and I think my last one was around 6:30. I'm not sticking to my plan yet (to quit by 4 or 5pm), but I think that'll happen soon. I need to plan my day more carefully.
>I think we need to identify the 'need' for our Fast. I've been having
Back Pain for years from a Bulging Disc. I feel confident that this long
Juice Fast we're doing will allow my Body to heal itself. Do you have
anything?....WY<
I want to lose weight and eat less, and I'm looking forward to seeing my complexion and general skin tone improve. Rejuvenation is my main purpose. In terms of specific problem areas, I want to heal my hip joints, which have been creaky lately-- I know that's toxins, and I've already healed it quite a bit with juicing. I can't think of any other problem areas to 'fix.' ;-p I'm excited about the prospect of detoxifying all my cells and blood and giving all my organs and systems a glorious spring cleaning. I haven't done a good fast since 2 summers ago (14 day water fast-- tough!!), and it's high time!
>P.S. I appreciate you. If you weren't with me on this, today is the day I
would have stopped....still in pain.<
Oh, thank you, WY. I'm SO, SO grateful you're doing this with me too! It's an enormous help, and I also really enjoy your questions and insights. I'm sorry about your back pain. Hey, maybe I was having sympathy pains today for you: for some reason my lower back was heavy and sore. It could have been from carrying about 30 pounds of fruit on my back and in my tote bag; could have also been kidney detox.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 22, 2009 11:49PM

kwan Wrote:
> .....for some
> reason my lower back was heavy and sore. It could
> have been from carrying about 30 pounds of fruit
> on my back and in my tote bag; could have also
> been kidney detox.
I gather you live in NYC? I had a Raw Vegan friend
there who had never driven a car, and had a collection of Tote
Bags, Back Pack, and a Hand Truck to carry her food.

Today was a Two-Juicings day for me....Pineapple and Carrot. I
skipped the Green Juice, but will have it tomorrow. I drank it
near bedtime last night and had trouble sleeping....I was energized.
I'll be having Apple Juice in the morning, instead of Pineapple. I
bought a 3-lb. bag of Galas tonight at Publix.
How was your day?....WY
P.S. I'm enjoying 'reporting in' every evening. It helps me Stay Strong.

Date: April 23, 2009 01:19AM

Hi WY and everybody,
Wow, today was busy. I'm a little tired now, after playing music in the subway at Harvard Station for about 2 hours today (and THREE separate trips back and forth via subway to talk to the musicians there and confirm when to come back and play!)-- it's very enjoyable, but a little more exhausting when I'm juice fasting to play music for people. I didn't even have time to go to the gym today. Maybe tonight I'll do some yoga.

WY, I live in Cambridge, MA. I can understand why you thought I was in NYC, though, because of the subways. We have a great subway system here and in Boston, so there are quite a few people who get around by subway and bicycle.

Two juicings! That's fantastic, WY! I had 5. I loaded up on organic Valencia oranges at the co-op today: they were, shockingly (since our local co-op is notoriously uber-expensive) only $3.19 for a five pound bag. I was astoundedd, especially when I saw the organic label. (Normally they're about $3.50 a lb.)Beautiful oranges, too. I bought 2 bags, and will go back for more soon.

Today I had orange juice, followed by cantaloupe juice, carrot/apple/ginger, lemonade, and another hit of orange juice. I really love the orange juice; have been really wanting it. Still didn't have greens again today in any of my juice, but I feel fine. I know I would feel a little more grounded if I juiced more vegetables and greens, but my instinct right now is to go with fruit.

Thanks, WY, for your 'reporting;' it inspires and keeps me going too.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rawie ()
Date: April 23, 2009 11:29PM

Hey Gang,

I'm on Day 12 juice fasting! Carrot (5lbs daily) based with neutral greens like celery and lettuce. Lots of apple and citrus fruits mixed with garlic and ginger. YUM!

-rw

Date: April 24, 2009 12:15AM

Rawie--
Sounds wonderful! How do you feel? I would imagine all the nutrients in the carrot + greens juice should leave you feeling fabulous.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 24, 2009 01:21AM

Dear Kwan.....Here it is after 9pm and I'm just now finishing
for the day. I had Pineapple, and Apple, in addition to my regular Carrot,
and Celery. It was too much. I'm thinking about a 12-hour Dry Fast tonight,
then a 12-hour Water Fast tomorrow. My weight is now under 130 (I'm 5'-8 1/2"winking smiley.
I'm also thinking that I want a more aggressive Healing. So I'm considering
going to only two juice meals a day....9am and 3pm.
Tell us what you're thinking....WY
P.S. I've decided to end our Juice Fast when you decide. I do think that even
with a Juice Diet, like we're doing, it's more successful if one practices CR too.

Date: April 24, 2009 01:26AM

Day 6 (I started on the 18th.)
I had a great day today, and purposely did only relaxing things that conserved my energy a little. Like instead of running or working out at the gym, I took Jonathan to the gym, and went for a walk for an hour. I really 'eat up' the sunlight, so I loved it. And I practiced music at home and stayed away from my sometimes hectic subway musician thing today. I will play tomorrow, but today was a day to enjoy myself. ;-)

Today I had...
cantaloupe juice - 10:30am (about 25 oz.)
orange juice - 11:05am (about 18 oz.)
'Ginger Soother' - 4:30pm (12.5 oz.)
orange juice - 6:55pm (16 oz.)

I love the organic oranges I'm juicing. They're so good. Tomorrow I will buy a lot more of them; they're super-cheap. I quoted the price wrong when I said they were $3.19 for 5 lb.; they're $3.99, but that's still great, considering the sign said they're $3/off and would normally be $6.99 for 5 lb. (Yikes!)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 24, 2009 06:03AM

hey kwan,

I m doing fabulous. I had some lousy days. Like Day 10 I almost gave in to a box of vanilla ice-cream. I'm totally over that now. I feel like Day 3, or somewhere along Day 8 to 10 are the toughest days. Once you get over those bumps, you feel like you can go on forever.

I can't never get sick of carrots. Fruits I have to keep rotating. I can't juice the same fruit more than 3 days in a row. I get tired of the acidity? I always keep some ginger, garlic, and lemon or lime around to add some kick. I don't do as much dark leafy greens as I used to, only the cheaper neutral greens. The dark leafy stuff are too $$$ to waste with the centrifugal. I'm hoping to get back into the dark stuff once I get the Omega going.

Less thanb $1/lb is an awesome deal for organic oranges! I'm so jealous of WY. He's got his own citrus fruit trees! I had a small orange tree which I managed to over-prune and has never rebounded since then. sad smiley -rw

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2009 10:17AM

Ginger is such soothing when it its used for juices I never get tired of it

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 24, 2009 01:14PM

hey all!

I'm on "Day 1" of water fast. Doing wonderfully and feeling pretty good so far. Got up early, cleaned the apartment and now I'm relaxing while I bathe the lizards smiling smiley. Feeling yesterday pretty badly though..

I've got a late shift tonight so at least I'll be away from my tempting kitchen.

- Adrian

Date: April 24, 2009 02:27PM

Rawie Wrote:
> ..........I'm so jealous of WY. He's got his own
> citrus fruit trees!
My Grapefruit and Tangerine trees will be heavy
with fruit in November. I'll go on another Juice Fast then.
It's nice to have you join Kwan and me. Or are we joining you??....WY

Date: April 24, 2009 02:36PM

kwan Wrote:
> Today I had...
> cantaloupe juice - 10:30am (about 25 oz.)
> orange juice - 11:05am (about 18 oz.)
> 'Ginger Soother' - 4:30pm (12.5 oz.)
> orange juice - 6:55pm (16 oz.)
That's a lot of juice. Have you lost any weight yet?
I remember that was one of your Goals.
I've Water Fasted this morning, and may have some Grapefruit Juice
at Noon. The Carrot-Celery (with Greens) are for tomorrow. I like
what Rawie said about rotation. As you know, she's with us on our
Juice Fast. I certainly wouldn't be able to do this without the
two of you....WY

Date: April 24, 2009 11:37PM

>Have you lost any weight yet?<
Yes. I think I've lost at least 8 pounds. I sometimes will drink a little extra on a busy, stressful day when juice fasting, because I find if I don't, I pay the price sometimes by suddenly getting super-hungry and risking my focus and commitment, especially at the beinning. Later on, I'll probably drink a lot less juice. I'm sort of loosely following the 'Juice Feast' philosophy (drink plenty and fast a long time), but without all the bells and whistles (supplements). Will add greens shortly; I have a lot of collard greens in my refrigerator. They don't taste that great, but they're a great source of minerals and protein.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 25, 2009 12:22AM

kwan Wrote:
> .......Will add
> greens shortly; I have a lot of collard greens in
> my refrigerator. They don't taste that great, but
> they're a great source of minerals and protein.
Hello Kwan...Your JuiceMan won't do Greens properly.
How do you juice Collards?
I've had Grapefruit Juice today, and look forward to
Carrot Juice, and Celery Juice (with Greens) tomorrow.
I hope your Mood is better than mine. I'm not mentally
ready for a 92-day Juice Fast, and have decided to end on
Mother's Day (May 10th). That will make 25 days, which will
break my previous 'record' by a few days.
I don't see how you can do all you do, and still Fast. I
live alone, and have no responsibilities. I am getting out
tomorrow to play Duplicate Bridge....WY

Date: April 25, 2009 01:15AM

>Hello Kwan...Your JuiceMan won't do Greens properly.
How do you juice Collards?<

I may have to resort to the old 'blend with water and strain' trick if my Juiceman doesn't yield enough juice.

Today I had juiced my last cantaloupe and from then on I drank orange juice. I played music in the subway again today, and then went for a walk, so I'm pretty tired tonight.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 25, 2009 06:19AM

Oh wow, I just found this thread, how cool. I am on day 19 today. So far so good. I juice in the morning adn then maybe again later on in the day, once or twice. i always make more and put in the fridge. I do juicefeasting.com without the powders (with the exception of when i will be travelling, I'll do vitamineral green for those cases).

Not a whole lot in terms of detox, just tired and slow. OUtbursts of anger and emotional at times.
I have been having diarrhea and feeling quite weak the last few days. I reduced my thyroid medication drastically, so that may have to do with feeling weak.

My favorite juices involve ginger and/or radishes. I have to make SURE I get enough green juices in to balance the fruit. On a few occasions I drank half gallons of OJ, that was always disastrous. I overdo the coconuts, too. Today was good, mostly greens, celery, radishes, apples, pears and coconut. Have lost 10 pounds so far and had a really really easy period (bright red and flowy, not blotchy and dark).

I have the greenstar adn the Solostar. Staying motivated with the juicing ritual is my biggest issue. And feeling a bit too weak to work out, that bugs me.

Great to read all your posts!!

Date: April 25, 2009 01:35PM

cocoa_nibs Wrote:
> Oh wow, I just found this thread, how cool. I am
> on day 19 today. So far so good.
It's nice to know there are others who are
Juice Fasting (or Feasting).
Post your experiences here if you like. We can identify....WY
P.S. I know that weak feeling.

Date: April 25, 2009 01:42PM

Kwan.....I guess you and your husband are home today?
I've decided to eliminate the Sweet Fruit from my juice lineup
and go strictly with Carrot-Celery-Mixed Greens.
My Celery and Greens juice this morning was very good (and easy to
prepare).
Let us know how you do with juicing Greens....WY

Date: April 25, 2009 02:15PM

cocoa_nibs--
Hi! :-)
I find myself more emotional at times too when juicing. Most of the time I feel more centered and calm, but I notice I'm more likely to snap at Jonathan quicker in stressful situations.

Hi WY--
>I guess you and your husband are home today?<
We have to go to our community garden in about 45 minutes to help with the rototilling and some planting. Other than that, we're home today.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 25, 2009 07:32PM

WY (and kwan),

Just a quick update. Day 14 today, one more week to go.... Did water fast for one day, a huge big no-no for me! I'm with you, WY... Carrot and neutral greens are always a safe choice. I'm very thin too, haven't lost much wgt, the green superfoods really helped. Don't feel drop in energy either, have not attempted anything labor intensive though. I still keep up with my weekly hike, one hr of easy hike in the woods. I don't think I can do what kwan does.

-rw

Date: April 25, 2009 11:53PM

Day 9
Wow, summer is really here. (That is, until next week, when it'll no doubt get cold again.) It was 84 degrees this afternoon. We rototilled our community garden, shoveled and raked and planted lots of good stuff. I had a lot of energy, but I noticed I didn't have quite the same muscle power in the hot sun that I usually have for manual tasks, so I shoveled and raked rather than operating the rototiller.

Today I've had orange juice, a Kombucha drink (I get the only brand I can find that doesn't add sweeteners) and grapefruit juice with some barley green juice powder in it-- a really good brand that's supposedly 'raw' and doesn't add fillers or chemicals. I had been a little tired after the gardening and a long walk, but as soon as I had the grapefruit + greens I felt great, and that was my last juice of the day.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: April 26, 2009 01:05AM

After 10 days of Juice Fasting and Feasting, I've
decided Fasting is Best. I actually gained some weight, and feel
a bit bloated. So tomorrow, the Feast becomes a Fast.
By the way, Kwan, I reserve the Right to continue our Juice Fast
through Mother's Day and beyond. However, my Mother would never
understand. I'm in a real 'bind' here....WY

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables