Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help! My smoothies aren't very smooth anymore
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: April 30, 2009 01:59AM

A couple of months ago, I received a Vitamix 5200 as a gift from my boyfriend. Ever since, my green smoothies aren't quite the same. They don't seem as smooth but kinda airy and after sitting for a while (like when I take to work) the smoothie separates. Am I blending too long? Too short? Wrong speed?

Help! I need some blending tips.

Thank you in advance.

Patty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! My smoothies aren't very smooth anymore
Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: April 30, 2009 01:37PM

hey sewraw!
what are you blending?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: April 30, 2009 03:00PM

when you say it seperates is it like a foamy layer, a watery layer and a chunky layer>?

and ya what is it your blending smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: April 30, 2009 11:42PM

I am just trying to make green smoothies (fruit, greens, water) which were always fine with my previous blender. BUT, in between my posting this and now, I went back and did something almost unheard of - I re-read the directions for making smoothies that came with the Vitamix. Well, low and behold! If you follow those directions for use of the controls, the smoothies turn out great!

I am not even sure I could describe the layers either.

Thank you for your replies.

Patty

Date: May 01, 2009 12:03AM

Well Patty,
good to know that everythings okay now!
Something happened the other day to my daughters unfinished green smoothie...

She had left it half full on a shelf in her room. Well I was looking around in the morning for it and never found it (cuz i always wash 4 cups and 1 was missing) soooooooooo
after she gets home from school she finds it and screams that something has happened to it. I can't even explain the mess it made. It like imploded or something. Most of the liquid had left (all over the shelf and floor) and all that was left was this foamyness. All that I could think that happened to it is that it fermented with the added dates. I dunno.

Sometimes I believe that these smoothies are so nutritionally powerful that they come alive! It was like that old movie called The Blob!

So theres my smoothie horror story. It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Date: May 01, 2009 12:20AM

Thank you Jennifer. What is that a picture of on your signature?? It is rather intriguing. Patty

Date: May 01, 2009 02:22AM

hiya patty,
the pic is some veg juice right after juicing. kale, celery, cuke, carrot, lemon and beets. i gave it a slight stir and voila! i thought it was pretty so i took a pic. mystery solved!

Posted by: Manolie ()
Date: May 01, 2009 03:22AM

It is amazing how often folks spend hundreds for their blender and proceed on their own, even though the included recipe book includes "Blending 101" and its delightful recipes list each ingredient in the order in which they should be placed in their blender jar for the best results, even specifying which automated and timed cycle will produce the best result.

A good rule of thumb: liquids go in first, soft items next, firm items next, fozen fruits (if any) next, and ice (if any) last.

A second rule of thumb: ice cubes which have been outside the freezer for a short time (while you prepare everthing and add everything else to the blender jar) will blend better than adding ice that is -10 F. straight from the freezer to the blender jar.

A postscript: if your blender has a Pulse button, use it whenever your automated cycle is finished, but you still have ice granules which aren't completely blended. A few pulses will finish the job and eliminate any incomplete blending.

Manolie

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 01, 2009 03:05PM

hehe well were probably all guilty at one point or another of being so excited with a new appliance we just charge right in smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables