Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

MSG in storebought Soymilk?
Posted by: deenis ()
Date: May 12, 2009 03:06AM

Hello, I hope I posted this in the right section........

I read online the following which makes me wonder if it is true:

"How do I make homemade soymilk taste like store-bought?
If you’ve been buying pre-made soymilk for a long time, it’s very possible you’ve become addicted to the MSG that is added to packaged products. (It still isn’t required to be on the labels.) Plus, commercial soymilk has carageenans in them to add to that thick creamy feeling people get hooked on."

Is it true that they do not have to list MSG in their ingredients?
Thanks.......deenis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MSG in storebought Soymilk?
Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: May 16, 2009 03:40AM

funny that you ask deenis,

i was reading this website the other night and lately have taken an interest in this matter

[www.truthinlabeling.org]

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:09AM

Yes, yes and yes! Just about any product marketed as vegan even organic ones contain MSG and most processed foods contain MSG as well, although I find that it is surprisingly less often with products made with real milk. eggs etc. Also most processed soy products are made from GMO soy, many of the soymilk companies (like Silk) have switched to being "natural" instead of "organic". Soy products that are not fermented can also cause mild to severe allergic reactions and mess with hormone balances, so it is recommended only to eat fermented soy products or products made with fermented soy.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 20, 2009 07:00PM

This is really very irritating; I have children who love the taste of the Chocolate soy milk, both Silk & 8th Continent. While I know this isn't the best choice for them, I figured it would be a step above cow's milk!

Guess it is a "step" above, but not by much... sad smiley

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: June 20, 2009 11:26PM

Some people drink raw cow's milk. The soy milk being better then normal milk is actually a huge myth. Soy is basically a waste product from the industrial argiculture system, they need to grow soy for nitrogen fixation after growing corn which is used in just about everything. So the benefits of soy have been hyped up while the negative aspects have been down played, the benefits of normal milk are also less reported on. You can make really good 'milk' at home with a blender from nuts, seeds or even fruit. I like making banana milk, just a banana and some water, you could add some cocoa or carob and honey or agave for the chocolate flavor. I also like Living Harvest chocolate hemp milk which I don't think has any MSG in it, they also have a recipe for making it on the back of their hemp seed package.

Date: June 29, 2009 01:55AM

Hi dhsredhead. My experience with soybeans is different than yours.

Many farmers consider themselves soybean farmers. The soybeans grown are the primary crop sought after. Soybeans "fix" nitrogen into the soil. This means that no artificial fertilizers are needed. Clover hay and other crops can also "fix" nitrogen into the soil. Soybeans play a vital role in fertilizing the soil for those years when corn will be grown on the same plot of land.

Most farmers that I know who grow corn usually rotate years of growing corn with clover hay. At any given time, the farmer has hay growing as well as corn, not on the same plot of land of course, they rotate the plots.

Growing soybeans and storing them requires more (and more expensive) equipment than growing clover hay.

A good symbiotic relationship is growing clover hay and corn. If you were to ask a farmer who also was a cattle rancher if he would rather grow soybean and corn or clover hay and corn, he would choose the hay and corn. This is because cattle are ruminants and need the fiber in the hay as well as the energy in the corn.

So I believe that soy is not a waste product from the industrial agriculture system,

Date: June 29, 2009 02:23AM

Additionally, drinking raw, organic cows milk is bad for you. True, it is not as bad as cows milk that has been cooked/pasteurized and has growth hormones in it. But there is casein in the milk and fat and protein in the milk which can be very bad for you. Any protein in your system that is above what the body actually requires is considered by some to be carcinogenic ( go to google videos and search for "t colin campbell" ).

I have a computer program that calculates the protein in my foods consumed and based upon it I am always finding it difficult to consume foods that will not put me over my self imposed limit of 55grams of protein per day. It is very easy to consume more protein than we actually need, even on a vegan diet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables