Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New juicer
Posted by: tea937 ()
Date: May 26, 2009 12:56AM

So I have been trying to join the raw lifestyle, but it has been rather hard. So I have decided to start with juicing since I LOVE JUICE. I don't really need solid food I just enjoy drinking juice a lot, and I would like to start the detox process as quickly as possible. But, I'm not sure what kind of juicer to get. I would like a juicer that does everything relatively well, but mostly hard fruits, as I'm not really wanting to eat greens very much, and I doubt I will want to juice them. But I suppose that could change over time so I would like a juicer that does it all in case I get a craving for some greens. I have done the research and I know that a juicer can not do everything very efficiently, but I was hoping for some personal opinions about juicers.

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New juicer
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:24AM

Champion.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 26, 2009 01:47AM

Best All-Purpose juicer....

[www.omega8006juicer.com]

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: May 26, 2009 05:48PM

here is what i have experienced with juicers over the past 25 years.

single augur juicers "struggle" and work very hard agaist hard stuff and require cutting in small piece the stuff you are juicing. their best feature is a slow rpm.

the "two step" norwalk is alot of work and costs over $2000. many who have owned it admit to abandoning it in favor of something less labor intensive.

centrifugals leave alot of juice in the pulp ...hence wasting expensive produce.

the champion is also a machine that leaves alot of juice in the pulp and putting the pulp through a second time is messy to say the least. it also has a tendecy to heat up and transfers the heat into your juices.

the twin gear model are definitely superior for many reasons and have rendered all of the above types of juiers obselete because of their low rpm, quiet performance, abilty to easily juice hard "stuff" and leafy "stuff" and especially their ability to squeeze the most juice out whatever you put into it. i like the one own which is greenstar since it is a full sized "workhorse" juicer and the clean up is quite easy. (drop it into a sink of water immediately after juice and rinse off most of the parts.....the gears and screen scub down nicely with the specially designed brush which comes with it)

juicin' john

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 30, 2009 01:34AM

juicin' john posted a lot of good info. I've had many juicers over the years, centrifical, champion, single auger, twin gear, & Norwalk. Currently I am using the single auger Samson and also a Norwalk. The single auger models can give you a "workout" so you do have to cut the pieces smaller.

The Norwalk is the "Cadillac" in my personal opinion, but it does require a good deal of time, since it is a 2 - step process. I do use mine regularly. I juice with it twice a week, put the juice in small canning/jelly jars & there are good for 3-4 days.

It is the best juicer for producing a dry pulp. Also, it is capable of nut butters, sorbets, ice cream & a host of other uses. The Samson can also function as a grain mill, sorbet machine, & more. I think you get the picture with me; I like machines that can do a lot of different functions!

As you mentioned, there is no "one size fits all", but you can come close!

Date: May 30, 2009 03:57AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....................I've had
> many juicers over the years, centrifical,
> champion, single auger, twin gear, & Norwalk.
> Currently I am using the single auger Samson and
> also a Norwalk.
I, too, have had many Juicers over the years. My first
juicer was a Champion....and they're still going Strong. However,
there are better juicers out there.
I owned a Norwalk Press many years ago, but just
could never get the hang of the Triturator. Also (maybe it
was my imagination), squeezing the juice through a plastic
bag put a strange taste into the juice.
Currently I am using a Single-auger and also a Centrifugal....
both Omega....WY

Date: May 30, 2009 11:32AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> juicerkatz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ....................I've had
> > many juicers over the years, centrifical,
> > champion, single auger, twin gear, & Norwalk.
> > Currently I am using the single auger Samson
> and
> > also a Norwalk.
> I, too, have had many Juicers over the years. My
> first
> juicer was a Champion....and they're still going
> Strong. However,
> there are better juicers out there.
> I owned a Norwalk Press many years ago, but just
> could never get the hang of the Triturator. Also
> (maybe it
> was my imagination), squeezing the juice through a
> plastic
> bag put a strange taste into the juice.
> Currently I am using a Single-auger and also a
> Centrifugal....
> both Omega....WY
I have a couple back-up Centrifugal Juiceman's that I picked up used/cheap; they are fine in a pinch. The Omega is very nice! The Norwalk/Triturator situation is a "knack" that you have to get the hang off, for sure. My first few attempts ended up with pulp sprayed all over the kitchen ceiling!

But, the lady in the video that came with the juicer made it work, so I figured I should be able to as well. For all those struggling with the Norwalk; What you need to do is this; Feed the first item into the chute very, very slowly. For me, this is usually a large carrot. Also, holding the carrot at an angle, tilted to one side helps.

Do not push the carrot all the way through, always leave a bit of pulp on top of the cutter blade until you are ready to finish. As far as the bags go, mine are cloth, I never saw plastic ones, but maybe there are out there. As long as they are kept clean, rinsed well, I don't notice any "off" tastes.

The biggest drawback of the Norwalk for me is the time factor. That is why I make sure I can devote a good hour or so to it (including cleanup), & make all my juices for several days, putting them in small (8 oz.) Juice/Jelly jars.

Date: May 30, 2009 03:55PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> ..... As far as the bags
> go, mine are cloth, I never saw plastic ones, but
> maybe there are out there.
When I owned a Norwalk Press and was having so much
trouble with it, I spoke on the phone several times with the
President of the company (Harold Arnoldus in California). He told
me they used Hemp cotton bags years ago, but the Fruit Acids dissolved
the cotton, so they started making the bags and cloths out of a
food-grade Nylon.
Anyway, the bottom-line is I didn't like the Norwalk Press.
I watched the video again....she does make it seem easy, doesn't she?....WY

[www.nwjcal.com]

Date: May 30, 2009 08:25PM

Wheatgrass Yogi, thanks for the info. on the bags. When I need to purchase more, I will be sure not to get the nylon ones. My juicer is a 1993 model, & the bags might be a bit newer than that, but they are cloth, for sure.

There are aftermarket Hemp bags available for other uses; I don't see why they shouldn't work for this purpose.

Juice on!

Posted by: tea937 ()
Date: June 01, 2009 01:32AM

Thank you so much everyone!!! You are helping me understand which juicer would be better for me and what I want to use it for.

Date: June 01, 2009 07:41PM

Hey tea937,

Let us know which juicer you decide to go with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables