Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If You Could Buy ONE Juicer
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 04, 2009 04:29PM

Calling all experienced juicers! I was hoping to buy a juicer by next year. My recent diagnosis with ALS has made me rethink that. I was leaning toward an Omega 8006. But then there is the Greenstar.

What do you think the best juicer is for doing both carrots AND ALSO greens like wheatgrass and kale and whatever grassy and leafy stuff?

I know, I know, I may need to compromise. But I just cannot afford to buy two. Really. I'm supposed to be dead in 2-5. Sooo... is there a juicer you would recommend?

Many thanks for all your recent help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If You Could Buy ONE Juicer
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 04, 2009 05:24PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Calling all experienced juicers! I was hoping to
> buy a juicer by next year. My recent diagnosis
> with ALS has made me rethink that. I was leaning
> toward an Omega 8006. But then there is the
> Greenstar.
That's right, don't wait until next year. Sorry to
hear about your ALS. Many diagnoses are incorrect. I'd get a second
opinion. Whatever it is, I believe Juice Fasting, Water Fasting, and
Dry Fasting will allow your Body to heal itself.
I recommend the Omega 8006. JJ and others recommend the Greenstar.
No matter....buy one now and 'get going'. ALS would get my full-attention
....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 04, 2009 07:10PM

All of what Wheatgrass Yogi said. The Omega is a great choice, Greenstar as well a good one. I use the Samson 6 in 1 which is very similar to the Omega. The twin gear models such as the Greenstar will be a bit more expensive, if you are on a budget.

Whatever you choose, make it a consistent part of your life; live by your juicer, it has great rewards! Jump on this & attack it with full force, definantly don't put a time limit on yourself like dr.'s seem to like to do...

hang out on these & other raw food forums, surround yourself with like-minded people, stay positive...hang in there...

Date: June 04, 2009 09:22PM

I'd like to order something by this weekend. I don't have much time to think... I've already lost most of the strength in my right hand and arm. I'm right handed. Now that I know what the symptoms are... I know it's starting on my left side and in my legs. Typing is difficult.

I don't know if I can beat this. But I'm not going to wallow with cheeseburgers and beer. I'll do the best I can, and if it kills me, I'll know I did the best I could.

Any suggestions will be considered and very appreciated.

I'm lined up for a second opinion already.

Thanks, everybody. This is really scary stuff.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2009 09:54PM

I have a Norwalk 275 a Omega 8005 and a Angel Juicer and a Greenstar over all I'd have to say the Angel Juicer is the best because of the easy of clean up the amount of juice yield and the fact that it's 100% surgical stainless steel and made like a tank and with no cheap plastic chrome like on the Omega or Greenstar.

Date: June 04, 2009 10:04PM

I just re-read your first post you have ALS I'm sorry to here this but if this gives you any comfort I have stage 4 cancer and I'm married to a doctor any doctor who tells you how long to live is FULL OF CRAP only God knows this answer and the last time I checked no MD is God although I know a few who think they are. My wife is wonderful and really open to new ideas in medicine including Juicing and Raw Foods the sad part about medicine here in the United States is that it's regulated by the state and federal goverment and doctors that would normally share with you their thought on alternative treatments can't due to the fear of losing their medical licenses they work so hard to get. I hope you will focus on feeling better and knowing that God has a plan for all of us you'll be already relax take a deep breath and be positive the mind is so powerful. God Bless and Takecare.

Date: June 04, 2009 10:07PM

Omega 8006: single gear masticating

Green Star Juicer: twin gear

Angel juicer: twin gear

Pogi, what model Angel are you using? They look beautiful! Can you do both hard root veggies AND leafy greens?

Date: June 04, 2009 11:02PM

Re-thinking this; if strength is already an issue, then I would have to go with a twin gear juicer; the single auger type can require a bit of effort to get food items started in the auger.

The Angel's look very nice, and built like a tank. Thank is a beautiful choice if it is in your price range. Maybe Pogi can give some feedback on the Angel...

Date: June 04, 2009 11:35PM

Juicerkatz, how much strength to do carrots? I wish I knew someone... Maybe I will ask on meetup.com even tho I don't go to the local raw meetups. :\

Pogi, I'm sorry that you have cancer. I really appreciate your sharing your views on this mortality stuff.

Angle has different models. Looks like the Roll$ Royce of juicers!

Date: June 05, 2009 12:21AM

Lee - "how much strength to do carrots?"

Hmmm...well, I have noticed when juicing "hard" produce like that, it sort of "bumps" on the auger as the auger takes bites out out it & proceeds to go through the juicer. It works well, but was different than what I was expecting.

It does require a bit more force than pushing watermelon through it, for example. Mmmm, I did watermelon all this week, it was very tasty!
But my mainstay for overall immune health is Carrot/Celery/Apple, and I do a lot of that drink.

Maybe you could talk to some of the staff at a local health food store to see if any of them have experience with juicers, they might be able to assist you a bit as well.

Date: June 05, 2009 04:41AM

I have the Super Angel Juicer Model 3500 stainless steel, this juicer in my book is the best juicer on the market for any key of type of greens I purchased it from 877MYJUICER.COM was around 940.00 and is worth every penny, it's very quiet and works well on fruits as well.Here is a You Tube video enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.usjuicers.com]

Here is a link to pictures of my juicers you can get a really good look at the Angel Juicer here.

[picasaweb.google.com]#

Date: June 05, 2009 02:43PM

Thanks Pogi for the information on the Super Angel 3500.
It does make all the other juicers look like little toys. My only concerns
are the weight of those big twin-gears (in ease of cleaning) and the effort required to push whole Carrots through (day after day after day).
Anyway, I feel I owe it to myself to try one, and will probably order one
from 877MYJUICER.COM today. I don't believe John, here at DISCOUNTJUICERS.COM,
sells them.
Thanks again.....WY

Posted by: frances ()
Date: June 05, 2009 03:21PM

I recently purchased the Omega 8006, and find it to be a great all-around blender. I do have to push - lightly but fairly consistently - to encourage food into the grinder. If some of the twin gear models do a better job of self-feeding once food has been put into the chute then that might be a huge improvement, but I don't have the twin-gear experience to know.

Date: June 05, 2009 08:55PM

The Angel looks like a cross between a Rolls Royce and a Hummer. Beautiful, but waaaaaaaaay outta my price range. Back to the Omega 8006 vs Greenstar debate in my head.

Date: June 05, 2009 09:37PM

frances Wrote:
> If some of the
> twin gear models do a better job of self-feeding
> once food has been put into the chute then that
> might be a huge improvement
No, the twin-gear models need a pretty good 'push'
too. Even the Super Angel 3500 (from the videos Pogi provided)
requires effort....WY

Date: June 06, 2009 12:52AM

After wrestling with this decision all day long, I've
decided not to buy a Super Angel 3500. It wasn't the $870+ cost that
influenced my decision, but rather the ease of operation, and clean-up.
Carrots seemed to be a little difficult to push through, and the fine-
mesh screens looked, from the videos, to be difficult to clean. An
engineering flaw, which I won't elaborate on here, was also a factor.
So I'll continue to use my Auger juicer for Celery, and my Centrifugal
juicer for Carrots.
Happy Juicing to all......WY

Date: June 06, 2009 01:37AM

Hey WY,

You may have mentioned in a prev. post, but I don't remember; Which single auger juicer do you have? As I mentioned, I am currently using a newly purchased Samson 6 in 1, & while I do like it, it seems to be a bit "wasteful" on the juicing end...

What I mean by that is this; The juice container has a strainer that you put on top of it, and it seems that a good deal of "froth" collects on the strainer when juicing most items. If you attempt to push the froth through the sieve, say using a rubber spatula, then you end up getting a good deal of pulp in the juice.

I guess I am so used to my Norwalk and a pulp that turns out like a piece of leather, that I am spoiled! Does your single auger juicer cause frothy buildup on the sieve like that? I had a Green Power years ago, but I can't remember if it did that as well.

Guess I will watch some youtube vids. to see what other juicers perform like. For some reason, the froth thing really bothers me, since I don't really use it for anything. Guess it would make a good topping for something...

Date: June 06, 2009 11:21PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
> Hey WY,
>
> You may have mentioned in a prev. post, but I
> don't remember; Which single auger juicer do you
> have? As I mentioned, I am currently using a newly
> purchased Samson 6 in 1, & while I do like it, it
> seems to be a bit "wasteful" on the juicing
> end...
I used a Samson 6 in 1 for years, and found it to
be a good juicer. I switched to an Omega 8002, then to an Omega
8003. I'm currently using the 8003 with the new improved 8006
Auger. I use it for Celery Juice. It may be a bit wasteful, but
I like the fact that it's easy to use and clean.....WY

Date: June 07, 2009 01:01AM

Thanks for the reply, WY.

What I have decided to do is use the froth for smoothies while I am making my juices. It is nutrient rich, & basically pulp free, so I can't see dumping it in the compost pile! Should add some tastiness to my already yummy smoothies!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 08, 2009 07:19PM

IF i could only buy one it would probably be the NORWALK ...but IF i could afford that id hope to be ALSO afford kitchen staff to clean it winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 08, 2009 08:50PM

Jgunn Wrote:
> IF i could only buy one it would probably be the
> NORWALK ...but IF i could afford that id hope to
> be ALSO afford kitchen staff to clean it winking smiley

It's all in how you approach it, Jgunn; I used to make a real mess in the kitchen with the Norwalk, but once you learn how to do it, develop a system, it goes pretty smoothly. When I first started, carrots ended up on the ceiling! But, I did master the juicing part fairly quickly, and cleanup can move along well, since all the stainless parts can be wipes down with a damp sponge, etc.

The bags are the more time consuming area, but here again, this goes back to the juicing step; if you do not overfill the bags with pulp while juicing, they will remain relatively clean throughout the whole process, since the pulp come out extremely dry.
Cleaning can then be just a matter of thoroughly rinsing the bags several times with clean water, then storing in the freezer until next use. It also goes quicker if you can have someone assist with some of the steps, although for me, it is usually a "one-man" operation. >sigh<

I usually juice with the Norwalk, but here lately I have been giving my new Samson a workout. I will never get rid of the Norwalk, & would replace it with another if it ever conks out on me.

Posted by: deenis ()
Date: June 15, 2009 01:27AM

Hi Lee_123,
As has already been said, keep reading as much as you can on this forum for suggestions to improve your health. You are doing the right thing by asking questions here. Knowledge is power.

I know you are asking for advice from expert juicers. I am no expert as I have only been juicing for a few months.

I would suggest taking the easiest route. A juicer for carrots and apples. A blender (a really fast one like the Blendtec or Vita-Mix) for greens and other food items to make smoothies.

If your symptoms got severe, you could just blend everything. Fresh and raw.

Your body is quite miraculous. Feed it right and treat it right and you will do well. Smile.....deenis

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables