Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need Encouragement
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 09, 2009 02:50PM

It's been exactly 1 week since my diagnosis of ALS.

Half the time I want to give up and not do anything particulary healthy. You know, go back to cooked vegan stuff, bottled psuedo healthy drinks... Not cheeseburgers and beer, but back to where I was before committing to raw a couple years ago.

Half the time I want to get super strick about my intake.

For some of you there may be a middle ground.

I'm exhausted, my muscles ache. And I'm terrified that lots of organic juices and smoothies and salads and fruit are not going to make a difference.

Why bother?

My GP offered me oxycontin for the pain and adderal for the fatigue. I said no for now. But, I did have a cup of coffee this morning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Encouragement
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 09, 2009 06:16PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why bother?
Your Life is on the line. You have a chronic condition
known as Acidosis. I know the Fruit Eaters here will scream 'bloody-
murder', but you must give up fruit temporarily, and go 'Alkaline'.
I'd suggest Green Juices, and Carrot Juice. Yes, be Strict!!
And for God's sake, give up the Coffee. That is the worst thing you
can do. Can't you feel it??
With compassion.....WY

Date: June 09, 2009 07:48PM

I'm overwhelmed.

Is this a good food chart?

[www.essense-of-life.com]

It has some fruits on it.

Or this?

[www.liferesearchuniversal.com]

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: June 09, 2009 09:49PM

Oh Lee, I am so sorry to hear of your health developments, it has got to be one of the scariest things you have ever had to face in your life.

I remember when I was diagnosed with cancer, it was surreal. I couldn't seem to wrap my brain around this really happening to me. I still had small (medium?) children for crying out loud. I was a vegetarian!!! I was only 40, how could this be happening? I remember walking down the street, seeing people who were horribly unhealthy, stuffing their faces with who knows what ridiculously bad food or drink, and thinking how unfair it was. For a while I totally went back to SAD, because I also felt, what's the point, how much good has it done me anyway? (I hadn't heard of raw then, and wasn't quite fully vegan)

I don't know a lot about ALS, but I don't think you would be doing yourself any good to give up on yourself. This is going to take everything you can muster to deal with. But that being said, you have to be patient and kind to yourself. It is going to take a little time for this to really sink in. It is going to change the way you look at a lot of things. Your priorities are going to shift. Meanwhile, look at every small step you take as a gift to yourself, a small act of love, sometimes the big picture is just too big to look at all at once.

And please, PLEASE, keep us posted how you are doing. If you would like to talk, you are very welcome to send me a private message. I would be happy to offer you any support that I can through this time. Don't be afraid to reach out to the people around you either, you might be surprised how much they would love to try to help you during this difficult time.

Take care!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 10, 2009 01:21AM

Hi Lee,

Yes, do not give in to the SAD. All the others made great points, as always. I cannot really add much more to what they have said. I would definantly suggest going as natural/raw that you possibly can, juice a lot of immune building drinks.

Do everything you can to build your body with live foods, it sure can't hurt, and the plus side is that it will most definantly help. Your body needs all the nutrition it can get right now.

Date: June 10, 2009 02:33AM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm overwhelmed.
>
> Is this a good food chart?
Sorry to come on so Strong. I had to get your attention
(and mine). I'm talking to Me too.
Your best healing will come if you give up Solid Food completely, and
stay with Juices, Water, and, at times, Nothing at all....all easier said
than done.
I have a Sciatic Nerve problem that I'm trying to heal....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 10, 2009 11:05AM

Hey WY,

I had a Sciatic Nerve problem about 2 years ago, which I took care of on my own, no doctors included, lol.

Through a series of gradual stretching, especially of the hamstring area, the problem was alleviated. I also made use of a TENS unit (google), which I do personally recommend. They are very beneficial units, in my opinion. Many chiropractors will recommend them as well.

Generally, a Drs. prescription is needed for purchase, but there are online sites that will overlook that...

Just thought I would mention that, since I had a similar problem, which has never returned.

Date: June 10, 2009 11:39AM

No problem with coming on strong. It's not like I'm asking advice for minor allergies. This is life or death.

It's like someone dumped a ton of bricks on me and just when I realized what happened, the floor gave way.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: June 10, 2009 09:32PM

hi lee

my best advice i can give you is to put yourself under the care of the most highly qualified medical doctor your can find and pay seriuous attention to his advice. hopefully you can locate one who has good experience with motor neuron diseases and who also keeps up with all the new research as it is being published. this is not a condition that lay peole know anything about evan the doctors find it to be one of the most difficult challenges in the medical field.

get yourself into a postive state of mind and do not allow a negative thought to push you out of your resolution to suceed. you may be able to apply some of the suggestions you have gotten here on these forums to augment what your doctor has outlined for you to follow, but you need to talk such things over with him just to be safe.

i wish you a swift and sucessful recovery! may GOD bless you!

jj

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 11, 2009 01:16PM

..yes, blessings in whatever path you choose, Lee.

My Bells Palsey resulted in some nerve damage to one side of my face, which resolved mostly with a few funny quirks when the facial nerves regrew.. like I tear when I chew!

"Dr. Filbin: We've known for some time that you can regrow or repair nerves in the body's periphery - in arms and legs, for example..."

[www.rideforlife.com]

..I did it with a very imperfect diet but also with lots of carrots, greens, flax seed, etc. -- without any medical intervention, though that was only because my doctor was too busy to see me :/

..anyway as you are chelating with drugs, juicing, smoothies or whatever, I think regrowth can be happening.

Date: June 13, 2009 02:24AM

Ok, universe, I am getting the message!

An angel from this website sent me some CDs of the Juiceman. That was good because I don't have the attention span to read lately.

For months, I've been thinking, I gotta start juicing. But I've put it off.

Then, yesterday, there were three books I wanted to buy at Barnes & Nobel, all on juicing. I went down the escalator, made it to the checkout line then changed my mind, left the books and left the store. I figured I didn't really have the money to splurge...

Then today I stopped by to see some friends after work and one of them started telling me about how juicing has helped him... I've known this couple for several years and had no idea they knew anything about juicing. Everything they told me I should do was stuff that has been rattling around my head for months. Then, the husband goes upstairs and comes back down with the exact three books I wanted to buy and says I should borrow them and read them.

Then the wife says I want to show you what kind of juicer to buy... and she's got an Omega 8003. Apparently, I've been to their home dozens of times and haven't noticed it.

Ok, ok! I'm thick headed but I'm getting it!

Gotta log off and buy an Omega 8006 right now. I'm traveling quite a bit over the next couple of months but I need to have the right tools when I am home. I know that now.

It just takes me a while sometimes.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 13, 2009 05:05PM

I'm like that too, Lee! glad to hear this serendipitous story -- sounds like you needed a little synchronicity in your life. Good luck and keep us posted; our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Date: June 13, 2009 07:37PM

Sometimes you just get dragged along the side of the road of life and the gravel really hurts for a long while after you pick it out of your skin.

My body has been telling me for a while:

Green smoothies.
Green juices.
Veggie juicing.
Mono fruit.
Yoga.
Massage.
Some other stuff.

I used to, a long, long time ago (it's like remembering someone else's life) water fast once a week, juice fast the day before that, break the fast with a mono fruit day with fruit that is easy to digest.

I don't know if it is too late. Maybe too late was ten years ago. Maybe too late is tomorrow. So, today, I'm trying to get back on the straight and narrow (for me -- how that looks for you may be completely different).

Thank you to everyone for all your help and support. Some people who I don't even communicate with directly... I read so many posts that I learn from. I really appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: June 16, 2009 06:21AM

Lee -

That's amazing about the juicer and the books, I agree, it must be meant to be for you!! It's always good to listen when the forces of the universe conspire to get a message to you.

I am so glad to hear you are feeling the urge to follow a good healthy path - not only do I believe this is the best thing you could do, but it sounds like deep inside, your inner self is feeling the same way.

You are in my thoughts, I hope you have some wonderful people around you in your life who you can turn to if you ever feel overwhelmed. You won't believe how much it helps.

Take care!

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 16, 2009 08:00PM

you sound like me and probably many others..consistent actions result in consistent results,my friend

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 19, 2009 11:13AM

Lee123

Hello smiling smiley You said that you don't know if its too late. The answer is, of course not. You are alive which means that it is not too late. I think the reason why ALS is extra scary for you is that the people who have gone through it probably continued on in their SAD journey so that you don't hear to many "success stories". Don't you think that it would be an incredible boon to other people who might be diagnosed with ALS in the future to be the trailblazer and show the world that triumphing over it can be done? In this respect, consider what you do for yourself as having a DIRECT affect on others. A lot of people have been diagnosed with ALS and perhaps most if not all of them will take half measures for various reasons. I cannot think of a better route than to do what you feel compelled to do and that is the GREEN HIGHLY ALKALIZING JUICES. Go on a green juice feast. Slowly, surely and consistently, transform your blood Ph into highly ALKALINE, Highly OXYGENATED, highly STRONG. MObilize all and every single one of your cells to work FOR you and be your BEST FRIENDS!! Think of this as a thrilling journey of remarkable transformation. I know you are overwhelmed. Geeeez, who WOULDN'T be? I would definetely be overwhelmed but then I would DEFINETTELY start moving mountains, clouds, and lightning bolts themselves in order to counter the condition by becoming a force of nature myself. Of course you have a GREAT chance of beating this. I agree with juicin john that you need to educate yourself as much as possible and align yourself with a "team" of people who can help you. When I recommend green juice feasting as a "solution", please keep in mind that this could perhaps simply be the best GROUNDS for a solution. All other aspects : meditation ( which has been known in so many cases to have successfully combated cancer itself as well as a host of other conditions), yoga ( to counter the high stress that you are probably experiencing as well as also strengthening your nervous system etc since your spine houses all the nerves: yoga can be alkalazing as well as the meditation), hanging around happy positive people and doing things that you are able to do and enjoy ( never underestimate these two powerful forces : people and activities. Both these influences are also highly alkalizing. I definetely empathize with you and I would feel confused, sad and probably a bit bitter and angry too however time is of the essence and it is so imperative that one continues to give oneself the HIGHEST quality of juices and self treatment WHILE one is undergoing the range of motions. This is an opportunity for you to be impeccable in action, thought and emotions. My prayers are with you daily.

Date: June 19, 2009 01:30PM

That was a good post La_V. A diagnosis of a terminal illness would
get me Moving. It's funny how we can live with ailments that aren't Life
Threatening....WY

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 19, 2009 04:19PM

absolutely Yogi , i am always amazed how much illness we put up with before making a life changing alteration

well that applys to me anyways smiling smiley getting cancer was a HUGE wakeup call !

Lee my thoughts and love are with you , fight back hard and overcome all this smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 21, 2009 03:29PM

jeepers jgunn

i never knew you had cancer

how'd u get rid of it?

was it through raw?

or was it through the splendiferous joy of planting fruit treesgrinning smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 21, 2009 04:54PM

hehe LaV , sadly no the information for raw came to me about year after i had it so unfortunately i endured the operations and some chemo/radiation

Raw tho has helped me heal (physically and emotionally ) from all that (ive been transitioning since 2002 tongue sticking out smiley_lol )

had i BEEN out splendiferously planting fruit trees i might not have got it in the first place but it was my choice to live a very toxic life before that. Well the universe slapped me upside of the head and i listened ! winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 21, 2009 11:49PM

Lee,

You are on your way, my friend, and the Universe is telling you success is yours to be had. Sending my bestest, postitivest energies to you!

Date: June 22, 2009 04:39AM

hey jaygunn,

jeeez, i didn't know
wow... that's a LOT to endure
so proud of you for your accomplishment

and now you are fruit planting ninja girl!!

what's our next mission?

I say that block 456978B
Zone : 3
Territory : 1A

looks like it needs a HEAP - o TREES!!

Date: June 29, 2009 03:30PM

Thank you all for the love, light, healing energy, pragmatic suggestions, and positivity. I'm feeling a little better mentally. The diagnosis and the reactions of most of the people around me were difficult.

Last night, I was away from home at a meditation retreat for almost two weeks now and when on the road I noticed how many fat, unhealthy looking people eat at rest area fast food restaurants.

On the long drive home I talked on the phone to a SAD friend who said how she and my housemate were talking and decided that I needed to stop eating so many fruits and vegetables and that they think I need cheeseburgers and beer. No thought to the toxic waste I played in as a child (abandoned factory site with greasy barrels that we would roll in)... No thought to the year and a half of chemo, the countless prescription meds that cross the blood/brain barrier, the air and water pollution... I could go on but you get the idea.

So, I came home. And lo and behold, while was away, my SAD housemate had gall bladder removal to "cure" a two year chronic stomach ache. This is someone who didn't know what a papaya looked like when I brought some home. The freezer is still stocked with crap like frozen, ready to microwave cheeseburgers! I am NEVER tempted by that sort of stuff. (Steamed, organic root vegetables are tempting to me! Vegan ethnic food is tempting to me.) Anyway. it always amazes me when otherwise intelligent, educated people don't consider that what we eat (drink, breathe, touch, inject) has an effect on our health.

I would love to be strong enough to be a fruit tree planting ninja! That is the coolest form of healthy subversive activity!

I'm leaving town again on Thursday. Past the fast food rest stops again...

With gratitude to you all,

Lee

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2009 10:23PM

Lee,

Hope you are doing better every day. Please stay on track, ignore those who suffer from disconnectedness regarding diet and health, and will yourself better. Best wishes to ya!

Date: July 06, 2009 09:07AM

Lee

You are way ahead of the curvesmiling smiley I am TOTALLY rooting for you on your incredible journey. Please keep us posted. Please keep focused on things you CAN do and then those things will continue to expand and open even newer and previously unimagined horizons. I see you do Vipassana. Then, you already know how powerful INTENT is... and that nothing is impossible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables