Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

juicing ideas....
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 06, 2009 04:49PM

not sure why i didn't think of this earlier on....a thread for publishing our juicing "discoveries" and favorite juicing recipes.

here is mine for today:

rinds of one organically grown canteloupe
1/2 lemon
5 tart apples (sweet also is ok)
2 lb. carrots
1 green pepper

for me it made about 3/4 of gallon

i store juices made in my greenstar (greensstar has special technology which accomodates storage of juice up to 72 hours with little deteriorization) in a one gallon glass jar. it is really convenient for drinking lots of fresh juice.

juicin' john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: juicing ideas....
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 06, 2009 06:08PM

I've quit Juicing for a while, and have started Blending
all my meals now.
When I was juicing, I kept it real simple......Celery Juice, or
Carrot Juice, or a blend of Celery and Carrot mixed together. I have
juiced and stored it in the past, but now drink it immediately when-
ever I juice.....WY

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 06, 2009 06:42PM

Well I've only been at this for a little less then a week, but each morning I have been juicing some combination of romaine lettuce, kale, celery, cucumbers (usually only 2 out of the 4) and add a whole lemon and then an apple. I read that some of the nutrients start breaking down 15-20 minutes after juicing so I drink it up and don't store it. I didn't know there were products that you could store juice in for several hours without much deteriorization -- thanks for sharing that info. I'll have to look into that.

Today was my 5th day and I am already looking foward to having my green juice first thing in the morning!

Date: August 06, 2009 07:42PM

molli

i do it all the time...making 1/2 gallon or more and drinking it up in a day or less. itr really makes it easy to get lots of fresh juices into the body. juice made with a machine that doesnot oxidize the juices is the healthiest thing we can do for our health. everything else requires alot of work on the part of the body to digest fiber and other solids ...juicing takes all that out and the digestion and assimilation takes place very fast in comparison to blending.

besides that blending..... exposes huge surface area of fiber..... and the body has to deal with each one of the "mini mini" fibers slowing thing down hugely when compared to juicing. not only that blending exposes foode to large amounts of oxidation no matter how fast the blender turns denaturing proteins also. i have looked at people who blend rather than juice sometimes evan saying " that they do'nt want to throw away the good fiber" etc. and they just don't have the glow on the skin that juicing people have. blending people sometimes have health problems "that they just can't seem to get rid of". in my personal opinion blend ins a lazy way to eat and actually a detriment if used too often.

juicing is the way to do it! and if you get a greenstar ...it has a special combination of technologies which allows you to store the juices for up to three days..but i usually drink gallon jug much sooner. centrifugal juices cannot be stored because they are similar to blenders in that they introduce a large amount of oxidation into the juice or smoothie. most people do not realize that oxidation takes place with centrifuagals and blenders. its kinda like takeing one step forward and one step back...you end up back where you started with only a small amount of benefit at best.

i use blending once in awile for a delicius tasting smoothie but never on a regualr basis for my health and nutrition. most of my food is eaten whole and juicing is what i consider as supplemental.

check out storing your juices ...it really lets you drink a whole lots more than if you were to have to set up your maching and clean it every time you wanted a glass of juice.

best of health to you.

juicin' john

Date: August 06, 2009 08:08PM

John,

I will check into this. I haven't blended yet. I an just juicing or eating my fruits and veggies in their natural state. I have a centrifugal juicer so I guess I still need to drink it right away. I need to check into the greenstars. I love the juice I have been making, and would definitely drink more of it each day if I made more of it in the morning.

Date: August 06, 2009 08:38PM

when you get a greenstar... get your self a couple of widemouth glass 1 gallon jugs. they have them at wal-mart in the form of "" and they were liquidating them at an amazing $3.oo each. they had a spigot on them which i do not use but they are great for storing juices.

when you make your juices in large quantities like i talking about it makes it real easy to get on to a super health builing high volume juice drinking program. this is the way to go. smoothies are ok for fun and pleasure but if you wanna get serious about building strong health as efficiently as possible you gotta eat right and suppement with lots and lots of fresh juices.

i finally realized this after a long time of struggling with different experimentations.

also periodic juice fasting with enemas augment health building big time. also it not just what you eat and drink...its also as much what you don't eat and drink.

best health to you.

juicin' john

Date: August 06, 2009 08:46PM

You experienced raw food eaters are so helpful to us newbies. I've told myself this weekend I want to look thru the raw food books I've purchased and look on the internet and put together a list of the "best" foods to juice and what nutrients they have. I want to figure out what I should be juicing during the week to try to hit all the nutrients that my body needs. I have been a very healthy person my entire life (knock on wood considering that I've only eaten raw for 5 days), but I am very committed to making this a life change for me. I am starting to experience some minor detox symptoms now, but I read about that ahead of time so I expected it.

Date: August 06, 2009 08:52PM

actually there is not much to it. nothing special about being"experience or not" mankind ate mostly raw for thousands of years.

just choose a wide variety of good healthy fruits and veggies and you can't hardly miss getting everything you need. the books may help certainly but your gut feelings will help you too.

it is not all that complicated ...have confidence in your abilities ans go for it with gusto!

jj

Date: August 06, 2009 08:57PM

Thanks. I do usually have plenty of confidence. But completely changing my eating habits like this has made me want to make sure I'm getting what I need. I think I'll check out the farmers markets and the health food stores this weekend and purchase a variety of stuff as you mentioned and go from there. Fortunately I work from home so I can juice off and on thruout the day if I want to!

Date: August 06, 2009 10:25PM

JJ.....I know you like the GreenStar juicer, but
do you have a preference when it comes to a Blender?.....WY

Date: August 06, 2009 10:53PM

yogi.....i use an old oster for making a dert type of smoothie once in while. iseem to hjave lost my taste for sweet desert types of things as a result of repeated cleansing modalities. juicing and juice fasting have really been the most dynamic health producing things which i have been able to implement in my life.

i have always believed that health is 3 fold..... physical, emotional and mental( each of equal improtance to the whole) and that our bodies are a very special vehicle which we use during our earthly sojorn. i do not identify with my body as being "I".... my real I looks out of its "eyes" ( no pun intended)at the universe around me. the body is truly the ultimate temple so it is paramount that we keep it in the best of condition.

my juicer is called an oster ...it belonged to my mom and must be over 30 years old.

jj

Date: August 06, 2009 11:24PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..........it belonged to my
> mom and must be over 30 years old.
That's interesting. I bought an Oster Beehive for
my mother about a year ago. She was having trouble with her
teeth then, and blended all her food. She doesn't use it much now.
I had two blended Green Smoothies today. I had a whole bag (4 ozs)
of Mixed Baby Greens in each one....very 'rich' taste. I've
finally discovered how to eat. The 'key' for me is Greens. I also
use lots of Tomato and sweet Pepper. I feel there's Protein in the
seeds.
Best Wishes to you.....WY

Posted by: deenis ()
Date: August 06, 2009 11:41PM

juicin' john,

Thanks for the good read. I think I'll go have some juice now. smiling smiley

Date: August 08, 2009 12:04AM

i modified my "canteloupe rind"recipe today.....

here it is for today:

1 full canteloupe rind (nice big one from the farmers market...sweet mmm..)

seeds from the canteloupe

3 sweet apples

1 generous chunk of ginger

1 samll zukinni

1 green pepper

2 peaches

1 small cucumber (pickle sized)

2 lb. of carrots

i got about 3/4 gallon of really nice tasting juice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables