Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anything we shouldn't juice?
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 10, 2009 02:55PM

Are there any fruits or veggies that are not healthy to eat raw? I read that potato eyes are very unhealthy raw, but I don't see myself eating raw potatos anyway. Anything else that we should know about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anything we shouldn't juice?
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 10, 2009 03:02PM

fingers tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 10, 2009 03:26PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> fingers tongue sticking out smiley

LOL

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 10, 2009 08:45PM

Cats - don't juice cats! tongue sticking out smiley

Seriously though; I have read various websites saying don't juice this or that, & then other websites saying it is okay to do them - so instead of giving in to "information overload" - I just go with what feels right...

Basically, if it is an "accepted" vegetable or fruit, I will pretty much juice/eat it. I will preface this by saying - I recently gave up on Mushrooms. Many people have mentioned that they pull heavy metals/toxins out of the ground.

I didn't really like the taste of them "Raw" that much anyway, so I decided to give them up.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:44AM

you were on the right idea when you cited potato eyes....

potatoes which are exposed to light form a poisonous substance which can be detected if the potaoe skin has a greeish color.

that is about the only thing i know of that can't be juiced.

if you see it at the farmerers market or the grocery store ...in the produce section ,it must be ok to juice it. i sometimes flavor a juice with a clove or two of garlic or a sprig of basil.

juicin' john

Date: August 11, 2009 05:05PM

JOhn is it just the eyes or whole p;otato included? cuz my ol' hippy friend said to juice small amounts of potato (like a 1/4 of palm sized ) every few days to help with joint pain and i gotta say there seems to be some merrit to it by my own experimentation .. smiling smiley

i do make sure not to juice any green parts tho smiling smiley

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 12, 2009 02:15PM

non-green skined potatoes without the eyes are ok. when juicing them you will see the potato starch sink to the bottom of the juice cup. somepeople just drink the clear part others drink the white sediment also. potato is also said to have a mild antibiotic quality.

hope that helps.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 12, 2009 02:26PM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .................................... somepeople
> just drink the clear part others drink the white
> sediment also. potato is also said to have a mild
> antibiotic quality.
Potato Juice!! Novel idea. I think I'll
stick with Celery, Carrot, and Wheatgrass.....WY

Date: August 12, 2009 10:40PM

well its not too novel apparently its a old time gypsy folk remedy hehe smiling smiley i dont juice enough of it to really even taste it smiling smiley its also apparently chockfull of chlorogenic acid, which helps prevent cell mutations that lead to cancer... supposedly smiling smiley

its funny about chlorogenic acid ..

Chlorogenic acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [en.wikipedia.org]

Chlorogenic acid is a family of naturally occurring organic compounds. These are esters of cinnamic acids and (-)-quinic acid.[1] It is an important biosynthetic intermediate.[2] It also is one of the phenols found in coffee as well as many other plants.[3] This compound, long known as an antioxidant, also slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal.[4]

ive been mixing it with my carrot juice maybe 1/15 potato to carrot and i dont notice the sugar spikes i would get from the carrot nearly as much anymore so it seems that glucose slowing might actually have some merrit smiling smiley although ive onlybeen adding hte potoato bit for a couple of months smiling smiley

*shrugs* if i feel it works for me thats all that matters i reckon tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 10:51PM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Ebhak ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:31AM

fruit juice releases sugars rapidly into the bloodstream, (insulin spike) not buffered by fiber, also the liver sees all the fructose as toxic so it is like alcohol without the buzz, some research I read says... I am still looking into this.
same with sweet veggies,,,it all depends though, we can look at the glycemic index, load is more important... that what point does the body deal with it effectively, and at what point is it recognized as toxins..... I can add more later, non-sweet juices of tender greens, celery, cukes, are the safest bet, next would be sweet peppers (probably almost as good), then carrots and such (best diluted and drank slowly), I think blending it with something that digests well together might be the best idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 03:32AM by Ebhak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables