Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green Star Elite vs Omega VERT
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 15, 2009 09:08PM

John Kohler of DiscountJuicers.com reviews the new Green Star Elite and the new Omega VERT in a head-to-head comparison. The two videos take about 15 minutes, if anyone is interested. In Part 1, it's best to stop the video, and let it download about half way before resuming. Part 2 is the top selection after Part 1 is completed.
I would be interested in any comments anyone may have.....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Star Elite vs Omega VERT
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 15, 2009 09:23PM

WY -

You just can't leave well enough alone, can you, lol?!?!?

You know anything that has to do with greenstar/green power/elete, etc. will ruffle his feathers but good!

lol -

carry on my friend, rather you than me; I've learned my lesson about posting in the juicing thread!

lol lol lol XD XD XD

Date: October 15, 2009 10:09PM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> carry on my friend, rather you than me; I've
> learned my lesson about posting in the juicing
> thread!
No one listens to me anyway.
I'm just trying to determine the best juicer
for Carrots. The GreenStar Elite had a better yield, but
the Omega VERT was easier to use. No testing was made on
the Quality of the juice, or Cleanup time.
The Omega VERT is basically the same machine as the Hurom
Slow Juicer that PlainlyDressed posted about. As far as I
know, this is the first look at the GreenStar Elite in action
.....WY

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 15, 2009 11:36PM

The GreenStar Elite is a bit pricey at $530, but you get what you pay for...The fact that it will also do nut butters, purees, frozen fruit desserts, sorbets, etc. would push me in that direction.

As I mentioned in the otehr threads(s) I do like the concept of the Hurom/Omega vert., but the stalling on carrots really bothers me...& the price, since all it can do is juice.

As you can tell, I like multi-purpose machines.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 16, 2009 02:41PM

Yeah, I agree on the carrot problem, however, I don't juice many carrots because I don't care for the juice and my hubby definitely hates carrots, so that's not a big problem for us. The main bulk of my juicing comes from apples and kale with other stuff mixed in - either veggies or fruits. If I'm juicing mainly veggies, I will use an apple or two to sweeten it just a bit. I can see how the carrot juicing problem would be a deterrent (spelling?) for most other juicing folks, but since I don't care much for carrot juice, I haven't yet seen any other reason why I wouldn't love the Hurom. I'm still on the fence and want to do more research since it is still so new, but I'm very convinced so far. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 16, 2009 03:22PM

Oh shucks!! I never really looked at the Omega and it looks and sounds exactly like the HUROM!! What are the differences? The Omega sounds equally as wonderful as the Hurom. I'm reading about it now on the discountjuicer website, but will have to watch the videos in a bit.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 16, 2009 03:40PM

i would have been curious as well to see the juice after straining how much pulp does the VERT leave in the juice in comparison smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 16, 2009 03:46PM

Ok, just watched the videos. WOW!! It looks like it basically comes down to personal preference. Ok, the GSE definitely had slightly higher yield, but took longer and required more work. The OV was definitely faster, with excellent yield, and very little effort. So it basically comes down to personal preference, just like John said.

SIGH........ Now I have to compare the Hurom to the Omega. *LOL* I think I shall drive myself insane! But, since I have such a tight morning schedule and like to make my juices as fresh as possible for the whole day, it makes sense to find the best quality juicer that makes the juices in less time. Will keep researching, but am very imperssed so far.

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 16, 2009 04:15PM

plainlydressed Wrote:
> SIGH........ Now I have to compare the Hurom to
> the Omega.
They're basically the same juicer, both made in
the same Factory. The outer design is a little different.
John Kohler offers an extra $10 (see YouTube offer) on both
if you buy from him at DiscountJuicers.com. As it is now,
the Hurom is $20 cheaper (if I remember correctly), but I'd
go with the Omega name....WY

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Date: October 17, 2009 01:44AM

Hi WY. This is funny because I saw your post above right after I posted another thread about discovering that they are exactly the same machine made by the same company. I watched the video and then posted my "discovery" right away, before seeing your message above. I think the Hurom is cheaper because the warranty is not as good as the Omega VERT, according to John's video. I was hung up on the carrot problem to, until I watched John juice 5 pounds of BABY carrots (my preference anyway) through the Hurom & Omega VRT with no problems at all. I prefer baby carrots to full size ones anyway for sweetness, so that solves my carrot dilemma. I told hubby I definitely want the Omega VRT now!! *LOL* =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 18, 2009 07:30PM

As I said under another Topic, I ordered the Omega VERT from John at DiscountJuicers.com. I think it's woefully underpowered, but will 'feed' the produce slowly, and maybe it will be a good juicer for Carrots and Celery...the only two juices I would use it for. (My old English Teacher is spinning in her grave now. I can still hear her saying "never end a sentence with a Preposition"winking smiley.

I looked at the two videos again, and it took John 8 minutes 30 seconds to juice 5-pounds of carrots with the Green Star Elite, and 3 minutes 20 seconds to juice the same amount of carrots with the Omega VERT juicer.
The Elite had the best yield....5 1/2 cups of juice, plus another full cup (going by John's haphazard test). The VERT yielded 5 1/2 cups, which is better than the juicer I'm now using.....WY

Date: October 19, 2009 03:00AM

and neither were strained to see how much pulp was left or the pulp wasnt weighed ..i suspect the VERT leaves more pulp smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2009 03:16AM

Jgunn Wrote:
> and neither were strained to see how much pulp was
> left or the pulp wasnt weighed ..i suspect the
> VERT leaves more pulp smiling smiley
Good point. The test I run when I get the Omega VERT
will report the amount of juice with and without pulp.
You have a Green Star don't you Jodi?.....WY

Date: October 19, 2009 03:39AM

yes and old one smiling smiley

Date: October 19, 2009 04:46AM

well i shouldnt say its old cuz i dont realy know how old it is its a GS1000 that i got as a handmeover from my ol hippie friends deceased juicing husband smiling smiley it still works great , probably not as great as all these new models but its serving me well at the moment and keeping me in juicing smiling smiley

i'll be looking forward to your pulp test , i felt i was left hanging in all these posted vids LOL tongue sticking out smiley its like watching a pretty good movie with a bad ending tongue sticking out smiley

my preference would be to have as pulp freee a juice as possible , cleanup is not an issue as i make it enjoyable , and time juicing is not an issue as i work from home so i could i juice all day if the mood struck me lol smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 04:48AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2009 02:43AM

well, i saw john's wnrfll you tube, too -- and i bought the Hurom -- there IS a bit of pulp sometimes, but it varies gr8ly depending which food yer putting thru

i an enjoying it, having had the Green Star Twin Gear (not the new model, which is supposedly easier to clean -- BUT the Hurom screen RARELY needs even a brushing, which is why just a bit of pulp is WAY OKAY by me -- i mean, the holes are slightly larger in the upper part -- but there's like 5 or more times the total holes and they just don't get all clogged like the Green Star screen holes, you just spray with yer sink sprayer and usually, the screen holes are cleared out 100% that way, amazing)

ANYHOW, WHY I'M POSTING IS -- the baby carrots (contrary to what is said in the above post) in the bag are usually very much NOT sweeter than the organic larger carrots -- the larger ones are deeper in color -- and the REASON FOR ANY SWEETNESS is to attract the right microscopic life, bacteria, fungus, etc. to the root of the plant (any plant, not just sweet roots like carrot, beet, etc.)

the older, more mature roots are better at eminating sweetness for the plant above -- it could be that baby carrots have more "protective" underground juicy substances, but for actual sweetness, the stronger root with a more mature plant is doing it's underground thing more to the max

you might have to try a couple of different brands, but the bigger ones, i.e. brand of carrot that is a larger, full-sized carrot that we get in pennsylvania grocery stores is way out much tastier and much sweeter

i thought that too about baby carrots -- but i mostly used only the babys (before i got the new Hurom) because i clean them up with a brief soak in GSE and brush 'em off a bit and rinse -- so it happened that they were easier to fiddle with in the kitchen mini buckets i use for this (and for greens and fruits)

WELL, ANYWAY

wtg j kohler

thx for the help

that citrus juicer is next and the cumber peeler, lol

smile, darn ya, smile !

jerry in pennsylvania

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables