Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First impressions of the Omega 8006
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 05, 2010 11:50PM

Hi all-

I received my juicer two weeks ago, but only got around to trying it out for the first time on Tuesday. I felt I was coming down with a cold and was trying to stave it off. I made some carrot/beet/parsley/ginger juice. (Just for the record, I still got the cold, although I think the juice made it come to a head quicker.)

I found that the machine was quiet, as had been reported by others. I have a regular blender which is lawn mower-esque, as well as a centrifugal juicer in the past which was very loud, as well. I enjoyed the more mellow vibe of the Omega. Another relief was the dry pulp. However, I noticed that when I made a second glass of pineapple (mostly the rind, with a few fruit chunks), it jammed up. I had specifically made up my mind to get the Omega versus the Greenstar because it was reported that the Greenstar didn't juice fruits all that well. I did find that parsley was very easily juiced, so that was good.

What I don't get is why my centrifugal juicer worked so well with fruit, even though the pulp was far from dry. I will say that I found cleanup to be waayyy better than my centrifugal juicer with the basket. I just am not feeling having to un-jam the screens all the time because of the fruit issues. Also, I notice that when I had my carrot mixture, there was a pulpy feel to the juice, as criticized with the Vitamix making whole carrot juice ("like drinking sawdust" according to one person).

I know that the Greenstar is supposed to be the best, but the Omega is durable (considered professional quality), only $299 including free shipping (my old centrifugal juicer retailed for $229 ten years ago), and is easy to clean. I am not disappointed, but I can now see the NEED for a Vitamix, too, LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First impressions of the Omega 8006
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 06, 2010 12:42AM

banana who....Thank you for taking the time to report on your new Omega 8006. I have an earlier version (Omega 8003) and always enjoy using it for making Celery Juice. I have separate juicers for Carrots, and Wheatgrass.
The most important feature of any Juicer is 'Joy in Usage', even if the quality and quantity of the juice is not Optimum. Try many juicers to find the ones that appeal to you. After all, something you do over and over again should be pleasurable (or else you'll end up not doing it).
I recently tried the new Omega BMJ330, but didn't like it as much as my Omega 4000.
Happy Juicing......WY

Date: February 10, 2010 02:43AM

I made juice again and found the machine to work splendidly. Sometimes it makes a whiny sound, as it extracts every last bit of liquid from fibrous veggies like celery. I assumed that the machine was jammed. I was wrong, as it then ejected the pulp after wringing it dry. What is nice is that I didn't feel hungry after having my juice combo, even though I put in some carrots and half a beet! I guess the red leaf lettuce, parsley, celery, and a bit of serrano pepper balanced it out...smiling smiley

Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: February 10, 2010 03:05AM

I am actually researching juicers also. Do you feel the carrot juice in the Omega 8006 is like drinking sawdust? Also in reviews I read on Amazon there were some people that said they got shavings from the coating on the auger because of the right fit. Did you see that at all?

I unfortunately will only have the means to try the juicer that I purchase, and cannot afford to try many juicers.

Thanks in advance.

Date: February 10, 2010 04:14AM

boysenberry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am actually researching juicers also. Do you
> feel the carrot juice in the Omega 8006 is like
> drinking sawdust?
(I'll jump in here BananaWho. Add your comments as well.)
I think you are referring to Carrots in a Blender, not a Juicer, when it comes to sawdust.

> Also in reviews I read on
> Amazon there were some people that said they got
> shavings from the coating on the auger because of
> the right fit.
I guess you meant 'tight'. The Omega 8006 has a GE-
Ultem auger, which is a plastic 8-times harder than previous plastic-augers.

[www.omega8006juicer.com]

Did you see that at all? No, but the auger rubs the juicing screen until they become 'seated' with continual use. I, for one, am not worried about plastic getting into the juice.
>
> I unfortunately will only have the means to try
> the juicer that I purchase, and cannot afford to
> try many juicers. The 8006 would make a nice juicer for you.....WY

Date: February 10, 2010 10:09PM

Wheatgrass Yogi: I haven't inspect the auger, but so far it appears to be not rubbing against anything, which I had read happened to other people. I suspect that those people were careless in how they put together the parts and perhaps the auger was a bit loose. In any case, I DID mean that I felt that the juice was a bit fibrous when I made that statement about sawdust, but this morning I made more juice and it was nice and smoothsmiling smiley

This is the juice I made:

carrots
half a beet
celery
cabbage
nib of serrano pepper, which made this juice HOT!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 12, 2010 01:59AM

As far as comparing the Omega 8006 versus the Green Star, the Omega 8006 is one of the top rated masticating juicers with a rating of 4.5 of 5 stars by 25 users.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of independent user rating data on The Green Star juicer. The Green Power Gold is the top rated twin gear juicer with a rating of 5 stars, but only by 3 users. In general, the Green Star and Samson juicers don't sell as well, mainly because they cost so much ($500 - $600).

[www.best-juicer-ratings.com]

I think the Omega 8006 or 8003 is really a good choice if you want a masticating or twin gear juicer.

Charley

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: February 12, 2010 03:11AM

charley

i notice you are first time poster here.

most first time posters who come on with an approach such as yours are totally obvious and i need not say much more about it.

and by the way green star 1000,2000, and 3000 are all exaclyly the same machine and actually the green star gold has the same motor and gears as the others....so it is quite obvious that you have no ideas from your own experience and are only "parroting" something you have read.

... and by the way i would be totally suspicious of any web site such as the one you have linked to here.... it just has that look about it.

what is your purpose as a first time poster here anyways .... its quite obvious that you know very little about what you are trying to talk about.

juicin' john

Date: February 12, 2010 03:34AM

juicin' john Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what is your purpose as a first time poster here
> anyways .... its quite obvious that you know very
> little about what you are trying to talk about.
Oh John.....Back off a little bit. I think Charley has a good idea about going with User Ratings.
I found his link very interesting, even though my favorite juicer (Omega 4000) only received 4.1 Stars.....WY

Date: February 12, 2010 04:19AM

yah right

um hmmm.

Date: February 14, 2010 10:14PM

Juicin' John: Okay, dewd, I grabbed a clue--you totally believe that the Green Star's the best. I am sure you must be right. HOWEVER, I didn't have $600 that I wanted to blow. I spent $299 with free shipping and got a very decent juicer. The Omega 8006 does greens very impressively. I made my fifth juice this morning and the way it takes in the parsley really rawks. And all the other veggies I inserted came out swimmingly. So where's the beef? If someone wants to buy a juicer and doesn't want to spend another year saving for that extra $300, then I think the Omega 8006 is a very sensible alternative.

Date: February 15, 2010 12:09AM

you talk like a cheapo juicer makes juices ....so in your case its probably a good match.

take care and good health to you!

jj

Date: February 15, 2010 11:58PM

Juicin' John: I really didn't grasp that comment. Maybe you are rolling in dough but $299 isn't cheap to me and the machine is not "cheapo," if that was what you are implying. I have had other juicers which fit that description better. It extracts juice; trust me. The pulp is wrung dry. I conceded that the Green Star is most likely the best even though I have never seen it. If you have it going on wallet-wise, by all means buy one. But I will bet that with the exception of the Norwalk, the Omega 8006 is the best juicer out there. And this info may be of value for people of modest means who wish to juice NOW. Toodles!

Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: February 16, 2010 01:51AM

I'm gathering there is an income limit on this board. Since I won't be able to afford a Greenstar, should I just accept the fact that I am not worthy of juicing? For sure, not worthy of being on this board.
i
Someday, someday maybe be I'll be as classy as Juicin' John. That's what good juicing gives you. Class!

Date: February 16, 2010 02:26AM

Thank you, Boysenberry, I was wondering the same thing. It must be nice to be able to afford a $600 juicer. Perhaps if I saved my pennies, I'd be able to afford the Green Star some day. I sometimes wonde, though, if perhaps Juicin' John knows deep down that the Green Star is not THAT superior and that the extra $300 wasn't really worth it...In any case, I am satisfied with my selection and that's all that matters!smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2010 02:35AM

Hi I am new to this forum (forums in general) so forgive me if I am breaking rules by jumping in. I LOVE my Omega 8006 so much that I made sure there was one at my parents and my daughters home, so that no matter who I am visiting I am never without my juice. I am very interested in getting a juicer specifically for wheat grass. Do you have any recommendations? Is there a good manual one available? Have sort of blown my budget on three omegas.
Thanks
Tiloo

Date: February 16, 2010 11:59PM

Tiloo: You should be able to juice wheatgrass quite well in the Omega 8006! Have you ever juiced parsley? I am constantly amazed how well it handles greens. I would imagine you'd be very successful with wheatgrass.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables