Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

garlic cloves in juicer?
Posted by: violetrevo ()
Date: May 11, 2010 08:09PM

I finally got my juicer today! I'm wondering if it's a good idea to juice garlic cloves...I would like the flavor in some of my juice but I'm afraid leftovers might somehow stay in there and make stuff I don't want to be garlicky taste like it. I would of course clean it out after but are there parts in there that might soak up the essence?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: garlic cloves in juicer?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 11, 2010 11:37PM

I'm not sure if I've ever juiced garlic or not, but I do juice ginger regularly, which is pretty potent, & I don't detect the taste in other juices that I make.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 12, 2010 12:26AM

violetrevo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I finally got my juicer today! I'm wondering if
> it's a good idea to juice garlic cloves...I would
> like the flavor in some of my juice but I'm afraid
> leftovers might somehow stay in there and make
> stuff I don't want to be garlicky taste like it. I
> would of course clean it out after but are there
> parts in there that might soak up the essence?

Agree with JuicerKatz. As long as you clean it thoroughly, should be no leftover taste. And I agree that garlic is a food you need to wash carefully.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 12, 2010 12:49AM

I have juiced with garlic and the odor does not remain. Plus, when you juice greens, the chlorophyll is a natural deodorizer!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2010 12:49AM by banana who.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 13, 2010 10:38PM

you must be very careful with raw garlic, as it commonly is tainted with Botulism, so be careful, only use really fresh stuff, completely peel it, and wash it thoroughly...

Posted by: violetrevo ()
Date: May 15, 2010 01:58AM

I didn't know about the botulism! thanks for the info!

Date: May 15, 2010 08:58AM

ywsmiling smiley I learned about the botulism on garlic the hard way, my friend got reeeeeaaallly sick... But I peel and wash it, and I dont get sick, I use allot of it in my favorite raw recipe (still havnt found anything as good yet,lol)...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2010 03:24AM

Hmmm. I don't know what juicer you have but in my juicer the juicer plate(grinder) is stainless steel and the sieve (strainer) is also stainless. So washing it removes any oder. I haven't had any problems with any strong smelling veggie.

Date: May 28, 2010 05:29AM

never try that before - Garlic juice! I wonder what the taste like tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 02, 2010 10:28AM

how do u know if it has botulism
at times, i've noticed at stores that the white papery skin of the garlic
looks like its kind of decaying or even green ( gas!)

i'm really discriminating and make sure to get stuff with none of the overt visual signs

Date: June 02, 2010 10:13PM

its my understanding from the research ive done, that Botulism is on pretty much all garlic, but in amounts so small that raw garlic is not dangerous for humans to eat raw unless you have a really weak immune system, but when the raw garlic is soaked in olive oil, it creates the perfect environment for botulism to thrive, plenty to eat, usually rather warm as the average person keeps their oil at room temperature, you could end up with deadly levels of it within as little as a week inside that bottle... even in the fridge though it could still breed fast, so the only really safe way to make garlic infused olive oil is to cook the garlic enough to destroy any bacteria...which unfortunately destroys most of its health benefits as well I do have to say though, I love the flavor that fire roasted garlic imparts to an olive oil...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm so id suggest, use cooked garlic in your oil, whether your raw or not, and just pour your oil over a delicious salad with some raw garlic in itsmiling smiley...you stay safe, get good flavor, and I dont think the flavor of cooked garlic should negatively affect ones raw diet goals... I could be wrong though...

Date: June 06, 2010 08:16PM

Hmmm, interesting, I have been putting a clove of garlic in every glass of juice I make and so far (knock wood) I have had no issues. But after reading this I will be at least rinsing them off after peeling.

Date: June 07, 2010 10:58AM

like i said, should be safe as long as you dont let them sit in oil for weeks... the oil makes a perfect medium for growing yourself a bunch of tasty botulism...

Date: June 22, 2010 09:31AM

Hi

Could you tell me what botulism is? I have never heard of it and I use a lot of garlic and think I need to be aware of it now. I usually buy olives stuffed with garlic in oil from a reputable source. But now with reading about leaving garlic in oil I am not so sure.

Date: June 22, 2010 08:04PM

[en.wikipedia.org]

theres a wikipedia article on botulism, and as long as the garlic is cooked at a high enough temp to kill the bacteria that produce the toxin, then your completely safe, chances are, if they are a reputable source,as in a real business, with government oversight, the garlic they use probably isnt raw... if its some home based, dont have a business license kinda thing... then it may not be!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: July 08, 2010 08:04AM

You would want to dilute them and I'm assuming that you meant that in your question. I had a bad experience with eating garlic cloves. I crushed a few cloves of garlic and took them pretty much straight and for a few minutes I felt like I was dying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables