Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm thinking about saving for a Norwalk.
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: May 13, 2010 02:18PM

Though JuicerKatz (JK) and others have talked about this in the past, I have never really looked into either thinking it was too expensive ($2400) or too difficult to use (Wheatgrass Yogi, WY). Then, I looked at some of the data on their website and have to admit, it's pretty darned impressive. This is all part of the never being satisfied in pursuit of health.

[www.nwjcal.com]
[norwalkjuicers.com]

I am going to look deeper having just bought my VERT. Maybe within a year. JK, thanks for the headsup! WY, as always, your healthy skepticism is a critical part of the evaluation. Will follow up. There is a forum on the Norwalk site. Want to see and hear real world before putting up that kind of money.

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm thinking about saving for a Norwalk.
Posted by: back2eden ()
Date: May 13, 2010 02:56PM

Dont think about it any more........

Norwalk does not support old machines,There are many parts inside that can break. The grinder shoots pulp onto the ceiling, The pan doesnt hold much pulp, You cant have pressure on the pulp for very long. Too high of a price.

I have a k&K grinder that I use with a hand press I made. I bought a K&K grinder and press on ebay for 175. I sold the press for 150 and made a new one. The k&K grinder does not shoot pulp onto the ceiling. The one draw back celery and wheat grass dont work well. I need to get a dedicated wg juicer.

Date: May 13, 2010 03:33PM

back2eden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont think about it any more........
>
> Norwalk does not support old machines,There are
> many parts inside that can break. The grinder
> shoots pulp onto the ceiling, The pan doesnt hold
> much pulp, You cant have pressure on the pulp for
> very long. Too high of a price.

Doesn't support old machines? Ok. Should I look closer at the 12 year warranty on the 275? It's not the longest in the business. That honor for now is held by Omega for the 8004 and 8006 at 15 years. But when you say Norwalk doesn't support old machines is that past or future. I have to look at the card hand/market decision I am making today. Have you as a consumer had specific problems with the company honoring warranties? If so, that would be invaluable consumer feedback and thanks in advance!

Paul
> I have a k&K grinder that I use with a hand press
> I made. I bought a K&K grinder and press on ebay
> for 175. I sold the press for 150 and made a new
> one. The k&K grinder does not shoot pulp onto the
> ceiling. The one draw back celery and wheat grass
> dont work well. I need to get a dedicated wg
> juicer.

Posted by: shazz150 ()
Date: May 13, 2010 04:22PM

Wow,what timing with your post. just yesterday I started seriously looking into the norwalk, for the second time. It's true that the company only supports original owners though, so if you want the warranty, Norwalk sometimes does have demos on sale with a full 12 yr warranty.

It sounds like a lot of work, but the quality of juice and the fact that it can be kept for about a week would certainly reduce the amount of times I'd spend juicing.
It's an old machine in that not much has changed since they started manufacturing them over 65 years ago. I've spent quite some time reading reviews and reading old posts on a norwalk forum and still feel it will be worth it. It seems people either love it or hate it! Which one would I be??? With such a hefty price tag, I hope I'll love it.
Those are long term plans, however, since I'm still waiting on my Hurom to be delivered....probably think seriously about it around Christmas or Mother's day next year.
In the meantime, the UPS truck has yet to pull up to my house!!!Patience is a virtue!!!! I'm trying, I'm trying!!!

Date: May 13, 2010 07:47PM

shazz150 Wrote:
> Wow,what timing with your post. just yesterday I
> started seriously looking into the norwalk, for
> the second time. It's true that the company only
> supports original owners though, so if you want
> the warranty, Norwalk sometimes does have demos on
> sale with a full 12 yr warranty.
>

Shazz,

Now I'm really confused. Original owners means folks that buy the juicer new and that the warranty isn't transferrable right? Whew... you scared me there for a minute. If I buy a Norwalk used, that's part of the reason I'm paying less, hundreds less for a barely used machine that's less than 3 months old, it's unwarranted. Anyway, let me know what "original owners" means to you. I took it to mean someone buying a Norwalk new.

Paul

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 13, 2010 07:56PM

back2eden Wrote:
> Dont think about it any more........
>
> Norwalk does not support old machines,There are
> many parts inside that can break. The grinder
> shoots pulp onto the ceiling, The pan doesnt hold
> much pulp, You cant have pressure on the pulp for
> very long. Too high of a price.
>
> I have a k&K grinder that I use with a hand press
> I made. I bought a K&K grinder and press on ebay
> for 175. I sold the press for 150 and made a new
> one. The k&K grinder does not shoot pulp onto the
> ceiling. The one draw back celery and wheat grass
> dont work well. I need to get a dedicated wg
> juicer.

I am really hesitant to disagree with posters on a forum, 'cause I usually like to stay on everones' "good" side, lol, but most of what was said in that post about the Norwalk is simply not true.

The pulp blowback thing is very easily handled, not an issue at all once you realize how the juicer operates.

You can get parts for old machines, which in contrast I daresay you probably cannot get parts for other older popular juicers...

Mine is a mid 90's machine (270S) and all is available, many parts are interchangeable between models. Not really that many "millions of parts" as was hinted at - and, everything is pretty much heavy duty/industrial strength stainless steel.

If you break this thing, you will most assuredly "kill" any plastic juicer on the market!

I have juiced fairly regularly with it in the 10+ years I have owned it; I have only to replace the drive belt, which didn't really need replaced, but I had the covers off when I was in there cleaning it, so I decided to replace it while I was in there.

I don't know what else I can offer that hasn't been said in my thread about the Norwalk.

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Paul, (or anyone) if you want to converse about it in-depth more than I have covered in the threads, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

And, watch some youtube vids on it, you will be impressed!

Cheers, JK smiling smiley

Date: May 13, 2010 08:30PM

> Paul, (or anyone) if you want to converse about it
> in-depth more than I have covered in the threads,
> please feel free to shoot me a pm.

Done. You may have 2 from me actually. The one from this post will be the second. Seriously, I'm impressed as much from the data as the videos. But 12 years means 12 years right? Let's discuss.

Paul

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: May 28, 2010 01:06PM

I've had my Norwalk since the early 1990's and feel that it was a good purchase decision. Only had to return it for servicing once in the mid 1990's and never had any problems since. Yes, it's much more expensive than many on the market, but I feel it was worthwhile.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: May 28, 2010 07:22PM

So what makes this juicer so much better than a $400 or $500 juicer? And are they only for wheatgrass or can they do other things too? Just asking out of curiosity. I can't even afford an Omega right now much less a $2000+ juicer.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 29, 2010 03:52PM

i thought about a norwalk for the last year until recently i tried blender juicing, wow !!! you get that same quality of juice like the norwalk, doesn't separate, stays pretty even until the next day. its funny to me that i was considering a 2400 juicer that essentially just presses the juice out for me. What i do is blend the stuff up, then squeeze it through my nut milk bag. AWESOME !

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 09, 2010 05:06AM

I've got the Omega 8006 on my Amazon.com wishlist. I'm very close to buying it. Anyone see any reason why i shouldn't? (The Norwalk is out of the question for me.)

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 09, 2010 05:21AM

Annie56 Wrote:
> I've got the Omega 8006 on my Amazon.com wishlist.
> I'm very close to buying it.
That would be a good decision. The Omega 8004 is the
same juicer in White, whereas the 8006 is Black and Chrome.
Buy from John Kohler at DiscountJuicers.com if you can. Use TENSPOT
as the coupon code, and get an extra $10 off.....WY

[www.discountjuicers.com]

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 09, 2010 06:17AM

whats up with the omega 8005?

Date: June 09, 2010 07:58AM

Nevermind, I looked it up, I think if in the future I can afford a juicer, im going to go with the omega 8004!!! it seems to be able to do just about almost everything...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2010 07:15AM

Thx so much, i've been doing my homework on it, but it's good to hear from actual people.

Now, which do i need more; the Omega 8006 juicer, or the Excalibur dehydrator? Always a dilemma....

Date: June 10, 2010 09:06AM

guess it depends on what youl use the most, would you prefer consuming more dehydrated snacks, or juice?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 10, 2010 11:57AM

Annie56 Wrote:
> Now, which do i need more; the Omega 8006 juicer,
> or the Excalibur dehydrator? Always a dilemma....
I'd go with the juicer. Forget about the dehydrator
altogether. The closer your food is to liquid, the easier it
is to digest, and the more energy you have....WY

Date: June 10, 2010 12:18PM

*puts up sign* will work for juicer! hahaha

Posted by: MBS ()
Date: July 26, 2010 05:29AM

I bought a Norwalk 270S in 1996, and have been using it ever since.

With the exception of replacing cloths and bags, which is normal, it has been trouble free.

I viewed it as an investment; not a purchase.

Aside from juicing with it, it is great for pulverizing vegetables. I can eat alot of harder to chew vegetables like red cabbage and broccoli this way and get superior assimilation.

A very versatile machine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables