Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alternative view on schmancy equipment
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 04, 2010 05:47PM

Hi-

I have been thinking about all our discussions regarding Vitamixes, Blendtecs, etc. I want a VM very, very much. I keep saying to myself that if I can get a VM and dehydrator, THEN will I be able to be high raw. Here's the real deal, though: if you ever have watched Natasha on Youtube channel "Raw radiant health," she works with a KitchenAid blender and does raw coaching! She's only been raw about a year or so, but apparently has been eating healthy foods for a long time. And her videos are very informative to me so I watch them all the time. She made very clear that it's better to start wherever you are, rather than wait until you get all the high-end stuff to go raw. She says she didn't even get a dehydrator until 10 months into her 100% raw practice. She also uses a Champion as a juicer and mentioned once that with all the debate whether or not one juicer heats up the juice, it's more important to do it anyway; that it's still going to be very nutricious and surely better than SAD. I wonder if she is deliberately avoiding getting a high-speed blender to be inspirational for people who don't have the extra money at the moment for the expensive kind? Or if she is doing it for a personal reason, like being anti-consuming--needing to have the best of everything when what she has is good enough (she claims that her blender does its job and just needs a bit of water to move things along)? Just something I have been chewing on...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative view on schmancy equipment
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 04, 2010 06:16PM

I love Natasha's youtube channel! I have watched many of her vids, - started with the ones where she makes Kefir water. Interestingly enough, she doesn't think Kombucha tea is all that great of an idea...

I noticed her appliances as well. My take on it is this; if you feel the need to get a V-Mix, Greenstar, Norwalk, Excaliber dehydrator, etc., then go for it.

Part of it is psychological, I believe. You know, perception vs. reality...I feel more motivated if I am working with high end equipment, "like the pros are."

Also, there is something to be said about high end appliances that will last for years & years. I have burned up more than a few $100.00 blenders, plus they definitely aren't as versatile as a high speed model.

That being said, I started out with the lowly juiceman and a $40 "walmart special" blender. Those cheapies got me to where I am today.

If you cannot afford the high dollar stuff, I sure wouldn't put my raw food aspirations on hold until you can.

As the apostle Paul stated -

Philippians 4:11
"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

smiling smiley

Date: June 04, 2010 07:18PM

Well said! I think you are right about the status symbol thing, along with the idea of doing things "perfectly." This is really an issue for many people. I have to remind myself to just start with something, even if it's just a green smoothie for breakfast. I admit that it irks me to find lumps in my current smoothies and that is one reason why I would love to get a Vitamix. But it could be as simple as running the machine longer, which I really don't do (afraid of burning out the motor, I suppose). There is always that habit of getting more, "upgrading," which is important to curb because it'll never be enough. Now there is a new model of the Vitamix, not to mention the debate about the Blendtecs...Aargh!

*Edit: Here is one I am watching right where Natasha makes cheezy kale chips and says that it's better to set one's oven at the lowest temp vs. eating regular potato chips. But she DOES also state that a dehydrator should be purchased at some point. I'm sold!smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 07:30PM by banana who.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 04, 2010 11:51PM

I just started and I am using a Osterizer blender and it does a really good job. I am sure it won't last a very long time getting daily duty but I hope it lasts long enough. I am usually one that runs out and buys the higher end stuff just because I like quality and like to buy once rather than several times. I did that when I got in to mountain biking and don't regret a penny spent. My bike actually is worth more than my car...lol

But right now since I just got layed off from work money is super tight so my cheapo blender will have to get the job done as long as it holds out.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 05, 2010 03:50AM

Ive been making smoothies in my osterizer for over 8 years Nubster, its not as good at making smoothies as the blender I got about 3 years ago that was some expensive kmart store brand I think, its called "back to basics" I think, but the osterizer still runs great, and I use it to pre-process ice be4 using it in a smoothie that has ice, just to save this new blender a little work... the osterizer cost me $30 on sale, this back to basics one was like 10 or 15 bucks... on I believe it was a 90% off sale when a kmart was closing down...its perfect one doesnt need the most expensive stuff... they just need something thats good enough... I also take meticulous care of my blenders as i do anything else i own, so that could play a part in their longevity... also, when I remember to sharpen the blades every few months or so, my smoothies are always completely smooth...even my carrot smoothies are smooth since I just sharpened it again... mmmmmmmmm

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 05, 2010 04:32PM

Great to hear yours has lasted so long. I have owned mine a few years but never used it until now. Only thing I use in it are greens, carrots, and fruit so the load is not that great so hopefully I can get a long time out of it as well. As far as smoothness...I mostly juice but the few smoothies I have made have been pretty darn smooth.

Date: June 05, 2010 07:57PM

Curator: God! I didn't know you could sharpen the blades! Just like those old-fashioned knife-sharpeners that looked like a giant nail file, perhaps?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 06, 2010 03:07AM

yeah, I use one of those old round ones for sharpening chef knives, it goes allot slower, but it works, takes me maybe 5 minutes to sharpen all the blades on mine, you have to be REALLY careful not to make it TO sharp if your going to blend anything hard like ice cause it will just dull faster, if its just for smoothies without ice in them, then sharpen to your hearts content, but be careful! I cut myself the first time,lol...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables