Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Getting a juicer ^_^
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 01, 2010 12:01AM

Just got payed a little earlier than I expected, buying juicer within the next half an hoursmiling smiley going with the Omega 8004, cant wait till it gets here!!!!!!! whats everyones advice on dandelion greens? how much is "to much" as ive heard of people getting upset stomachs... I have those in utmost abundance around here they are everywhere... so probably going to juice them allot..., lots of animals in this area, would a 15 minute bath in a water/vinegar solution be enough to make sure they are clean, or is there something else I should do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting a juicer ^_^
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 01, 2010 12:09AM

Most foragers I know don't rinse any of their wild edibles...

Date: July 01, 2010 12:37AM

oh dang, ouch... the tax was a killer at discount juicers:/... I just had to buy it from amazon, I saved $23... kinda bums me out cause I really like Mr. Kohler, he seems like a nice guy and was helpful when I was trying to decide which juicer to get, but $23 is a big difference to me right now, although his shipping is twice as fast... oh well, have to go with the $23 savings...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 01, 2010 12:39AM

eh, i think im gonna rinse mine... with not only wild animals, but a large amount of feral cats, and a few dogs in the area, id rather not risk the parasites, I mean, rinsing wont destroy any of its nutritional value, right?

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 04, 2010 10:50AM

woohoo! it will be here on the 6th! I cant wait! wanted to juice a bunch of dandelions too, buuut it seems everything in my immediate vicinity are actually hawkweed.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 05, 2010 12:57PM

There are dandelion look alikes all around me as well. I think dandelions can be eated in any reasonable quantity even when at their most bitter which is during the summer. Go slow at first. I eat the look-alikes as well. Hawkweed should be edible, though I gave it only a quick google look. Congrats on the new juicer!

Date: July 06, 2010 01:40AM

hawkweed? I heard people make a tea out of it, but most of what ive read also says its mildly toxic...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 06, 2010 10:08AM

I looked a little further and hawkweed is considered a forage food for livestock though it's a minor contribution due to its sparse growth. It looks valuable as a wildflower to me.

"lots of animals in this area, would a 15 minute bath in a water/vinegar solution be enough to make sure they are clean, or is there something else I should do?"

I steer clear of animal droppings when foraging. That includes leaves that are spotted by bird droppings. I'm not concerned about possible urine as that is sterile normally. I rinse them well anyway in a the sink, usually.

A search for dandelion foragers brough me to this forum years ago when there was one person into "dandelions". My grocer sells "dandelion" greens that are actually chickweed, ha, found after rooting and growing some through the flowering stage.

Date: July 06, 2010 10:16AM

I've never experienced stomach aches from too much greens but nausea once from swiss chard that had bolted in the garden, apparently not a good growth stage to be harvesting them.

Yesterday I had juiced carrots, mature coconut, foraged seaweed (bladderwrack or something similar) and watermelon rind, all things that would be tiresome for me to chew but were good juiced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 10:23AM by loeve.

Date: July 06, 2010 04:55PM

This looks like the hawkweed that grows a few steps from my door. I've juiced a few plants now and then and now see that hawkweed has gotten "noxious weed" status in some locales which can mean it's noxious to plants or to animals or both. It's nice for me to finally learn what it is.

[aolsearcht7.search.aol.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2010 04:58PM by loeve.

Date: July 07, 2010 05:50AM

Seaweed juices well? it doesnt add to much salti-ness to your juice? do you like soak it overnight to remove salt or something?

Also, there are allot of different varieties of hawkweed, I have ones that look like that, and some that look considerably different, but still are definitely not dandelions... they have fuzzy leaves...

Date: July 07, 2010 11:44AM

When I collect seaweed I store it unwashed in a brown paper bag and then just rinse off the sand and check for holdfast fragments. The bladderwrack found the other day was not very salty, but usually here it's spongey codium that washes up which is quite salty. I don't mind the salt as someone who collects sea water and makes my own sea salt.

I noticed too how many hawkweeds there are. Some are native and not invasive, others can take over. Mine survives weekly mowing and blends in with the grass and dandelions..

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 07, 2010 03:17PM

Curator,

Congratulations on your purchase. The Omega 8004 is a great choice. The 15 year warranty, low juicing speed, versatility, and solid customer service make it a great choice. Let us know how it performs for you. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 07, 2010 08:28PM

pborst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curator,
> Congratulations on your purchase. The Omega 8004
> is a great choice. The 15 year warranty, low
> juicing speed, versatility, and solid customer
> service make it a great choice.
I agree!! I use my Omega 8004 every morning now. Not only is it easy to use, but it's easy to clean as well.....WY
P.S. Paul, I didn't know you had an 8004. I thought your juicer of preference was the VRT330.

Date: July 08, 2010 02:29AM

thanks paul, yeah I will definitely know how it works for me, it was a giant chunk out of my fix up my car fund, but the sudden random luck with work payed for it, awesomely cool coincidence... I will probably be using it for the majority of the first 24 hours i have it,LOL, I have so many things I plan on making... Strawberry banana/blueberry sorbet, cantaloupe strawberry sorbet, Carrot, kale, dandelion, and apple juice, with maybe a couple radishes for some extra kick (got them .25 a pound at the farmers market today!!! wooohoooooooooooooooooo!) then im thinking of foraging some seaweed, giving it a bit of a soak to reduce the salti-ness a bit, then juicing it with some celery & radish (any of you know how easily bull kelp will juice? or have pointers on juicing any other kind of seaweed?) and using that juice in a blender with some tomatoes and a bit of garlic to make an almost kinda bloody mary... then I may make some peanut butter (sorry, probably not raw...)
then if I have enough time, maybe see how it does with potato based pasta extruding...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 08, 2010 02:47PM

Curator,

The green seaweed I find in the northeast (codium mainly) does not do well with fresh water, turning it black, so I just rinse and juice. It's very salty and almost raw eggy. The brown seaweeds are more difficult to chew so juicing is a must for me. The flavors and textures vary widely. The seaweeds are all so unlike each other and very unlike land plants. I'll go through seasons of experimenting and eating lots of them and then, as now, hardly touch them.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 08, 2010 04:37PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> pborst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Curator,
> > Congratulations on your purchase. The Omega
> 8004
> > is a great choice. The 15 year warranty, low
> > juicing speed, versatility, and solid customer
> > service make it a great choice.
> I agree!! I use my Omega 8004 every morning now.
> Not only is it easy to use, but it's easy to clean
> as well.....WY
> P.S. Paul, I didn't know you had an 8004. I
> thought your juicer of preference was the VRT330.

No, as always WY you are spot on. I don't have a 8004, and the VRT is my juicer of choice. But I've researched and seen and run enough 8004s that along with John Kohler's endorsement, it makes a great choice!

Paul

Date: July 08, 2010 10:37PM

thanks loeve, Ive used seaweed in soups be4 for seasoning, I guess now is my chance to find out how they juice, still waiting for the juicer though, its supposed to be here today:/...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 09, 2010 12:55AM

I got my juicergrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley And ive done such fun things with it already, this thing is AWESOME!!! I made some carrot/kale/ radish juice, was delicious!!! I didn't use the strainer either, there was very very little pulp in it , but what there was, I liked, so I didnt strain it out... and the pulp was sooooooo dry...I packed it tight in a sandwhich bag and im freezing it for use in other stuff in the future, not sure what, maybe soups, maybe make some sort of cracker like those cheezy kale ones or something... im so energetic and happy right now with my purchase,lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 09, 2010 01:01AM

just realized something weird... the box it comes in says on the outside, 15 year warranty, the warranty slip inside says 10 years... huh???

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 09, 2010 01:29AM

Curator Wrote:
> ........ the box it comes
> in says on the outside, 15 year warranty, the
> warranty slip inside says 10 years.
The 15-year warranty is correct. The 10-year is for the 8003 with the old style auger.
Omega's paperwork hasn't been upgraded to the new model....WY

Date: July 09, 2010 03:20AM

ahhhhh, ok, cool, wooo!!! Also, banana blueberry sorbet, and strawberry canteloupe sorbet = me never buying ice cream in the store again...oh god I love this juicer...*cuddles it*

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables