Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Composting in an apartment
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:05PM

I posted a few topics and each one is really related to my attempt at growing wheatgrass, so my apologies if this should all belong under the same topic. I broke this one out because it is a little different.

I live in an urban apartment with no backyard or roof. What should I do with the soil when I am done? Just toss it? It seems like such a waste, but I have no where to compost. I saw some stuff online saying you could do it under the sink, but 1. I don't believe it won't stink up a small space and 2. even if I did believe it, my girlfriend won't.

I could possibly store it in a garbage bag and take it to my father's house, which is two hours away, but I only go there 2-3 times a month and I don't want a nasty bag of decay sitting around the place.

Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Composting in an apartment
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:41PM

they sell compost tumblers at places like gardners supply. i used to keep compost in my kitchen in a 5 gal bucket with a lid on it and believe it or no it did not smell. i would put straw or leaves in the bottom of the bucket and each time i used it i would put the lid back on ...the lid doesn't evan have to be secure as in "snapped down tight",,,,nmjust so as to cover it loosely. when its full , then you can take it to your fathers place or if you have a tumbler you can use the compost to grow stuff with..

hope it works for you.

jj

Date: January 16, 2007 08:59PM

Can I reuse the soil without composting?

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: January 16, 2007 09:55PM

no... iwouldnt recommend that.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 17, 2007 02:04PM

Yes, composting the mats after cutting and juicing the wheatgrass has always been a problem of mine too. There's only so much soil compost one can use. I wish there was a solution. I've been putting mine out with the household garbage every Wednesday and Saturday. Now Carrot pulp is another matter. After carrot juicing (and wheatgrass juicing), I pour the pulp at the base of my trees and plants. They Love it......WY

Date: March 24, 2007 12:30PM

If you're not opposed to living with crawly creatures, a compost bin of red wiggler worms living under the sink produces great-for-the-soil worm castings, which can be given to anyone who gardens. If done right, the process doesn't smell bad. Just look up "worm composting" for tons of information smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 24, 2007 10:12PM

i posted a thing about worms under the gardening section of this site...

why would you throw the dirt in the garbage? cant you just toss it into a park or something closeby where it can be reabsorbed by nature?

Date: May 28, 2007 07:50PM

new to he forum, but not to gardening and growing wheatgrass in a postage stamp apartment!
do you have ANY place with direct sun?
if so, a small black container (i used garbage bags) in direct sun no holes, no added water, wheatgrass mats will break down speedily.
I occasionally added kelp to it and always used 50 percent new soil in a new mat.

failing that, worm composting might be it for you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables