Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Green Star whines.
Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: August 01, 2007 04:01PM

Okay, so my Greenstar is here and already a most beloved kitchen appliance. It runs *so* quiet (after my Champion that was a huge surprise!) *except* when I start putting things that aren't wheatgrass in (i.e. bulky stuff, so far celery and apple, mostly). Then it starts whining. A long, continuous whine. Not horribly loud or anything, just present (but less when I run dryer stuff through). I just want to be sure that the whining noise is normal.

Also, everyone says you have to muscle stuff like carrots and nuts through, but how much muscle is too much. I'm kind of scared I"m going to mess it up. I've tried a few carrots, and it seemed like a few times the juicer slowed down a bit. That was probably too much? Some carrots went right through. On the DVD Juliano was really having to work to get some stuff through.

Gah, I'm just nervous having something so expensive that has to hold up to lots of use. Plus when I got it, the outer part of the tension adjusting knob was busted (they're sending me a new one) so I want to be sure nothing else is wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Green Star whines.
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 01, 2007 04:50PM

don't woory about the whine...mine does that sometimes too. it may go away as you continue using the machine.

as far as pushing hard on the machine..do not worry that thing is really stong. i have a few friends who have been really pounding it on a daily basis for over 10 years and it is still goin a strong as ever.

i would recommend using the wooden plunger over the plastic. it is less work and gives you a lot of versatility to plunge at different angles as opped to just up and down like the plastic one. you can push the wood right down onto the gears..its only cellulose and is filtered out with the pulp..in fact pulp is mostly cellulose.

cut carrots down to a smaller size if they are big and they will go through easier. don't worry about hurting the machine if you push too hard ..it will take that and more.

i cut the carrots in half (bottom taper and fat top part) usually the taper half is small enough to easily push through. i cut the fat top half lenghthwise and then agin so that its like carrots sticks ...these go through easily. don't by shy about pushing hard if you need to...but try to cut stuff to the proper sizes.

also when pusing leafy greens through ..dont try to push too much into the feeding chute. tamp the leaves onto the twin gears with the wooden plunger and learn how much you load it with by starting out easy. too much in the feeding chute will compact into a solid block of leaves which like having a juge carrot in toere and you really have to push or evan stop the machine and take it out, so dont overload the feeding chute. spinach comes to mine most vividly on that one.

do'nt worry about the whine ..everything is ok with the machine.

juicin' john

Date: August 01, 2007 05:13PM

What a relief about the whine! It seems to be working very well, but I'm unfamiliar to all the nuances of this particular machine so I thought I'd check with someone who knows.

Same with pushing things through. I haven't tried nuts--after trying frozen fruits I was kind of nervous to--but my husband and kids want some fresh nut butter so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the tips. I'm loving this thing already thank you for being so adamant in your reccommendation!

Date: August 01, 2007 10:04PM

nut butters need to be put through several times...first time through you get a nut pwder...also adding a little nut oil such as almond oil or what ever you have on hand will enhcnce the process.

jj

Date: August 02, 2007 08:40PM

Another GreenStar noise question:

Should it sound like the metal parts are grinding together?

The grinding and clanking sounds only happen when it's put together fully. When I don't have the outermost section (but am keeping the gears in the middle section with my palm), there is no noise when I turn it on. Smooth and quiet. I only tried that because I was trying isolate where the sound was coming from, and it seems like the outer section on (the part with the tension knob and juicing screen in it) doesn't push the gears in enough to keep them seated correctly, so that once it's all put together, everything is clanking around and grinding together in there. I didn't worry about it that much at first because I didn't know that the gears weren't supposed to touch. I've only used it 3 times and I'm kind of freaked out.

I've put it together exactly right every time (although this morning I've taken it apart and put it back together many times just to be sure), everything's clean and nothing's been bumped or banged around since it's been here. The tension knob was busted when I got it, and I've been worried that something else may have been damaged less obviously.

Please advise.

Date: August 02, 2007 09:04PM

Okay, I ran it one more time just to see (plus I had everything ready to go for my juice...granny smith apple, wheatgrass, blueberry and strawberry), and it seems like the clanking goes away when I start putting bulky things in (and is replaces with the whine, or whistling sound).

So...is this just a Greenstar thing? The clanking was definitely louder this morning than when I used it yesterday and the day before but didn't seem to affect the function that I could tell. I mean, I didn't see any worn places on the gears or plastic parts, and I didn't see any metal shavings or anything yet.

I guess I'll check it out again when I take it apart to clean this evening.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 02, 2007 09:06PM

*giggles* yer like a nervous mommy with a newborn ! tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 02, 2007 11:33PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *giggles* yer like a nervous mommy with a newborn
> ! tongue sticking out smiley

Even worse, I'm like a nervous mommy with my *first* newborn! After the first, newborn are a breeze, but that first one...hoo boy.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 03, 2007 01:23AM

I'd coat everything with a thin layer of Coconut Oil, and see if those strange sounds don't disappear......WY

Date: August 03, 2007 01:35PM

i have experienced versions of the clanking myself but as yet i have not found any problems. at this point ...i wouln't worry about it.

jj

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 03, 2007 01:52PM

When I bought a GreenLife (an early GreenStar), I had a terrible gear clanking. Nothing I did would correct the problem. I called the Tribest Company and spoke to the President. He insisted that I send back everything, whereas, I thought a simple twin-gear replacement was called for. Anyway, I did as he asked and got my juicer back, about 10 days later, with a new set of gears that worked fine......WY

Date: August 05, 2007 04:27PM

No good, guys. The noises continue to get louder (the whine is now a scream, and it's quite disturbing). I guess I'll have to call someone. It's been only a week. Should I return to the business I got it from for an exchange or just call the manufacturer?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 06, 2007 06:01AM

id call the manufacturer first ..turn it on when yer on the phone an see what they say ... then you have ammo going back to the store smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 06, 2007 01:17PM

call the company...they are very good at helping with such.

the afterservice is excellent.

jj

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 24, 2007 05:36PM

Hi Happy Vegan,

I'm researching juicers. I found your post helpful as I'm not that mechanically inclined. When I read your comments above, I thought how I'd have the same concerns.

I've been considering investing in a Greenstar Juicer. What happened next? Did the mfr exchange yours for a brand new one? Are you happy with what you have today?

Thanks,
Mandarava

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables