Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what to blend
Posted by: gadjoemi ()
Date: October 04, 2007 03:24PM

It has been a while since I came to this forum the last time....
I am very slowly incorporating raw food into my life and it has been almost a year! I like cooking or uncooking food in the kitchen but when it comes to raw food, my recipe is still very boring.. And I tend to blame it for the lack of raw food kitchen utilities! So, I made up my mind. I am going to buy vitamix (yes, I don't have it yet and it has been a year since I decided to eat more raw)

I have a blender, a very weak one, and that doesn't seem to do a good job. I have tried to blend greens into my smoothes, but they never taste as good as the recipe books say. Partly because I get lots of green pieces left in the smoothie and I only taste green, which is ok but I expect a wonderful mix of green and fruit. I live in the Netherlands and I can't get kale or other real green leafs in this country so I just blend lettuce. Also, because the blender is not powerful enough, the smoothie immediately separates into fiber and water. And it just doesn't take good!

Anyway, my question is that when i buy vitamix, I would like to make delicious smoothie for breakfast, so delicious that I can wake up with excitement about the day that starts with that smoothie, so I would like to know some great combination of greens and fruit. In stead of kale, do you have any good suggestion for greens? And if I use vitamix do you think the quality of my smoothie will increase and will I enjoy it?

I know this is such a basic question but I guess I finally reached the point where I am ready to discover more about raw food and take a step ahead for better health.

Thank you for your attention
Gadjoemi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what to blend
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 07, 2007 08:47AM

Hi there Gadjoemi,
I am a vegan and eat raw foods everyday, I blend this amazing product that makes a smoothie and tastes amazing,i think about it first thing when i wake up, It has all your nutrients that you need and its a complete meal,all for blending you just add whatever fruits and fruit juices you like to it, and it fills me up and tastes amazing! its called elixir you can purchase it at www.elixirmre.com , i dont buy the whey one since im vegan i buy the hemp one. Go get yourself some!

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: October 07, 2007 06:48PM

gadjoemi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I would like to make delicious smoothie for breakfast,
> In stead of kale,do you have any good suggestion for greens?

What type of vegetables (green or other colors) grow in the Netherlands or are imported and available fresh?

> I use vitamix do you think the quality of my
> smoothie will increase and will I enjoy it?

Many people including myself enjoy the smoothness of a high-power blender and its ability to thoroughly blend even the stalks and fibrous textures. But don't let not having one hold you back from starting where you are with what you have.

> I know this is such a basic question but I guess I
> finally reached the point where I am ready to
> discover more about raw food and take a step ahead
> for better health.

Very few people grew up in households that were vegan and raw. In other words it has been a learning process for everybody else and we all had to start somewhere and usually with tons of questions.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 08, 2007 04:15AM

Other than kale, I like escarole, romaine, leaf lettuce, dandelion greens.

A powerful blender will help improve the quality of your smoothies. Doesn't have to be a vitamix though. I like my Blend-tec and others like a powerful Waring.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 13, 2007 01:40AM

ooo theres probably all sorts of wild greens growing about maybe do soem research on some wild edibles .. like watercress.. lambsquarteres, dandelion, wild mustard, plantain to name a few .. smiling smiley mmmmmmm

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 01, 2007 06:09AM

Blending is ok, but juicing using a Green Star is better. Try buying Living with Green Star by Elisa Markowitz. Great recipes for a raw lifestyle!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 02, 2007 01:58AM

Chimpanzees in the Wild have been seen to wrap Leaves around a Banana to make the Greens taste better. I use a half-pound of Tomatoes in my Green Smoothies, along with other things, in addition to 2 1/2 ounces of Organic Mixed Greens. It tastes Great.....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables