Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Jack La Lanne Healthmaster 100
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: October 09, 2007 02:51PM

I'm considering buying this. Does anyone have one and can you recommend it!
Thanx...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jack La Lanne Healthmaster 100
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 09, 2007 08:59PM

i went to their website an read abit about it .. the thing that concerns me is that the selling point in it is that you can make hot stuff in because it uses its own centrifugal force to heat the food .. yet it says you can make icecream/smoothies in it as well .. how do you stop it from heating ? id hate to have to water things down with ice just to cool them off or regrigerate them after blending ...

thats my thought on that .. smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 08:59PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 09, 2007 09:07PM

ok nm iread that you have to put in 1 part liquid to 3-4 parts frozen to make cold stuff .. or you will burn the motor out

watching the video it looks like a cheaper version of the vitamix ... you can download/view the manual without buying it ..myabe look over the manual to see if there are any restrictions on the machine that you may see as a problem

it does say dont blend fruit pits etc so im not sure how it would do with hard nuts and seeds if thats the case even though it says you can make nut butters as long as you dont run it over 2 minutes or you will burn the motor
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2007 09:11PM by Jgunn.

Date: October 11, 2007 03:32PM

the manual states that it auto-shuts off if it overheats, so i don't see how i could burn out the motor...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 12, 2007 05:41PM

I think that many appliances use shaded pole motors and they are less likely to burn out but if a lot of torque is required the use a cap run cap start motor and they can burn out from overload.

I have a Hamilton Beach wave action blender. It was el cheapo but it is quite a robust machine. It makes short work of frozen fruit.

Date: October 12, 2007 05:46PM

yea i read that too rosemary w hich i dont understand because everywhere theres smatterings of cautions saying not to do this or that incase of burnout smiling smiley lol

Date: October 15, 2007 01:16PM

well i ordered it so I'll let you know how it goes!

Date: October 15, 2007 04:27PM

sounds good rosemary smiling smiley let us know how it tests out ! smiling smiley

Date: October 21, 2007 03:37PM

well i think the jack ll is a top quality blender. it makes the l'equip look like a toy!

however are power blenders supposed to steam/smoke/mist from inside the jug? i thought it might be heat, but my smoothies are still cool...should i worry about this?

Date: October 22, 2007 08:02AM

i recently got this blender. i've used it every day for about three weeks for making green smoothies and so far it's handled everything i've put into it -- kale, apples, carrots, celery, bananas, hard frozen mangos, etc. can't compare it to a Vitamix or Blendtec since i've never had experience with either one. it works as advertised so far... time well tell. at $150, it seems like a good deal.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 22, 2007 02:03PM

I looked at the Jack LaLanne Health Master 100. It has a heavy-duty 2HP motor, with 1000 Watts. It should do a good job with Smoothies. You might use a little extra water with your Blendings.....WY

Date: October 22, 2007 02:42PM

rosemary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well i think the jack ll is a top quality blender.
> it makes the l'equip look like a toy!
>
> however are power blenders supposed to
> steam/smoke/mist from inside the jug? i thought it
> might be heat, but my smoothies are still
> cool...should i worry about this?

rosemary im not sure why you are getting this smoke .. might be new product burn off .. but really i dont know .. does it have an odd smell or impart any taste to your drink?

Date: October 23, 2007 01:25PM

no odd smell or taste jodi. i thought it might be blade friction? I hope I'm not poisoning myself!

Date: October 23, 2007 01:56PM

hmm i doubt it if it doesnt smell funny .. maybe its a fine mist from the blending .. smiling smiley

Date: October 31, 2007 02:11PM

yes, could be mist...let's hope so anyway!

Date: October 31, 2007 02:32PM

That smell may be the Motor. You may be overloading it. Try more water or less produce or both....WY

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 02, 2007 09:53PM

I just replied to this very same issue over on Alissa Cohen's forum..

I am a chef that has worked in many kitchens..Ones that have been equipped with restaurant grade appliances, & ones where the owner has economized by purchasing home quality appliances..

I have seen both home & restaurant blenders & food processors ruined by not using them correctly..

However, you have to really TRY in order to ruin a commercial Vita-Mix or Waring blender; or Robot Coupe food processor..

In short, the Jack La Lanne Health Master 100 blender, at half the cost of a Vita-Mix blender; cannot possibly have the same quality electric motor in it..

It's simply a matter of economics..

If there was a reliable source of electric motors available in the world that performed at the EXACT same levels as the motors in the Vita-Mix, Waring, or K-Tec blenders; don't you think that the engineers & parts sourcers for those companies would be purchasing the motors & using them in their blenders??..

If all else was equal, doing so would result in reduced costs & greater profits..If the cost to the consumer was also lowered, then greater numbers of units would be sold, resulting in greater profits..

The reality is that wattage or horsepower ratings only tell a small part of the story as regards to the quality, dependability, & actual real world performance of the electric motors in kitchen appliances..

The type of metal used for the windings, the quality of that material, the diameter of the wire, the tightness of the windings, the evenness of the windings, & overall quality control in every step of manufacturing the motor; all play IMPORTANT roles in the eventual performance of an electric motor..

This is why ten electric motors all with the same nominal wattage or horsepower ratings can each perform differently, sometimes substantially so..

I'm sure that the Jack La Lanne Health Master 100 blender is a fine tool for the kitchen..

That being said, I would be suspicious of any new kitchen offering that claims, directly or indirectly by inference, to offer the SAME performance as the Vita-Mix, Blend Tec, or Waring blenders at half the price..

Until they have been on the market for 6 month to a year & have survived the usages of raw foodists with little or no complaints; I would not go touting them as replacements for the better, more expensive blenders that have proven track records..

In general, raw foodists that are trying to create raw versions of SAD foods will stress their blenders MORE, on a daily basis, then will SAD cooks..

This is due to the desire to reduce or eliminate fats & liquids in these food creations..

Over the years the Vita-Mix, & now the Blend Tec & Waring blenders have proven themselves capable of being used daily in tough, stressful situations in raw kitchens..

My personal opinion is that the Jack La Lanne blender will NOT prove over the long run to be as capable or durable as the Vita-Mix, Blend Tec, or Waring machines..

If I'm proven to be wrong, I'll gladly come back here in a year or so & admitt to it on this forum..

Bruce

Date: November 02, 2007 11:17PM

Bruce....Picture me here in Sun City Center, FL giving you a Standing Ovation. Very well said.....WY

Date: November 17, 2007 03:56PM

i'm sure it's not as good as a vitamix, but it's 1/4 of the cost in UK. Plus I have a 3 year guarantee, even if i drop and break it, plus a 100 year general guarantee....

one day I'll get that vitamix!!! or blendtek...!

Date: November 17, 2007 04:10PM

For me, after using a Vita-Prep 3 (model 1005) for a couple of years, all other Blenders pale-in-comparison (so far). But the issue in not what Blender or Juicer you're using, but whether you're blending or juicing at all.....WY

Date: November 19, 2007 02:50AM

I have some questions about the Healthmaster 100.
1. Does it process dry materials (grains, etc.) as the Vita Mix 5000 does/
2. Can it make bread dough?
3. The advertisements say it will do "31 kitchen tasks." What are they?
4. Is it as fast as the Vita Mix?
5. The Vita Mix costs about $400.00. What makes it worth that much when the Healthmaster 100 costs less than half that much?

I am especially interested in hearing from those who have used both.

Thanks for your help.

Date: November 20, 2007 04:35PM

i think it should grind up grains, certainly in small batches. i don't know the answers to your other questions!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables