Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The new 20 AMP blender
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 06, 2007 10:52AM

BlindGuru gives a demonstration on using the new 20 AMP, 2400 Watt, 5HP Blender to make Almond Flour. Does anyone have a comment? I don't like the programmed cycles, but it is probably a good feature for Smoothie Bars or Restaurants. I do like the power.
My 3+HP Vita-Prep 3 is rated at 1500 Watts.....WY
P.S. Is BlindGuru a little 'off', or is it just me?
[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The new 20 AMP blender
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 08, 2007 12:56AM

its not just you lol .. hes a bit of an odd duckwinking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 11, 2007 04:55AM

I just called the blind gurus and their price is 875 for this blender with 2 containers and a bunch of foods. Is this a good price.

Date: November 11, 2007 08:51AM

cedricw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just called the blind gurus and their price is
> 875 for this blender with 2 containers and a bunch
> of foods. Is this a good price. Exactly what blender did Blind Guru price for you? Here are the best prices I've found.....WY

[www.everythingkitchens.com]

Date: November 11, 2007 12:35PM

Be careful of dealing with the 'Blind Guru' before this new 20 AMP blender came out he was pushing the 31/2 hp blenders and everything about them from the jar design to it's 4 prong blade. He was using the Waring motor base (because of power) along with the Vita prep jar, tamper and cleaning brush. He is very deceptive in his selling. And know that this 20 AMP blender is out he is swearing by it, I don't know how many people got a chance to see the video of it in action but it is a Blendtech blender or it looks very similar to it.

Date: November 11, 2007 05:10PM

I'm sure the 20 AMP blender that BlindGuru is selling is a Blendtec. It has a single-blade with a 4" wingspan (according to the video in my first post here). So that means it's in a 96-ounce container, since the 64-ounce containers use a 3" blade. As Bruce mentioned, what individual needs such Power (or capacity)?.....WY
P.S. I'm still 'toying' with the idea of buying a 15 AMP Blendtec Spacesaver, but probably won't.

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: November 11, 2007 06:47PM

WY

My feelings as a chef is that no individual raw eater will possibly NEED the capacity & power offered by a 20.5 amp blender with a 96 oz carafe..

If you were preparing foods for a large number of people for a party, or if your family consisted of at least 4 adult eaters that were ALL raw; then perhaps a home cook MIGHT need such a machine..

Even so, careful use of your time with advance preparation would allow someone to accomplish the same tasks, with perhaps a 10-15% increase in time as compared to using the bigger blender..

I would have to ask myself if the convienence of the more powerful motor coupled with the larger capacity carafe was worth the increase in size, as well as the increase in noise,,

I cannot imagine the noise generated by this blender..

It has a 66% more powerful motor than my Vita-Prep 3..

It would cry out for a sound deadening enclosure to make working in close proximity with it bearable (as well as safe for one's ears!), not to mention the added height & width of the enclosure over the size of the stock blender..

With an 11-cup basic model (Up-Down, On-Off & Pulse switches) Cuisinart food processor, a 7-cup basic model Cuisinart food processor, a 3-cup Mini-Pro Plus Cuisinart food processor, a Krups coffer grinder, an Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator, a Vita-Mix Vita-Prep 3 blender, & a good selection of knives, mandolines, & other hand tools; I feel FULLY equiped to handle virtually ANY raw kitchen task from basic to complex..

Unless I worked in a very busy restaurant or juice bar, was preparing food for a large party, or preparing food for a large (5-6 or more) family; I would feel no need to augment what I already own..

If any of the above applied, then I would add extra bowls for the food processors & extra carafes for the blender before purchasing either (or) a 21-cup Cuisinart food processor or a 20.5 amp Blend Tec blender..

Even then, I would have to weigh the cost-to-benefit ratio of either of the two larger tools ($750.00 for the 21-cup Cuisinart, & $895.00 for the 20.5 amp Blend Tec) before plonking my money down!!..

I could buy an awful lot of raw food for the approximately $1000.00 difference in price between the $1645.00 for the 20.5 amp Blend Tec & the 21-cup DLC-X Cuisinart versus the $170.00 for a 11-cup Cuisinart & & $475.00 for a Vita-Prep 3..

A less expensive Vita-Mix or Blend Tec blender would make the price differential even greater..

Bruce

P.S.

How much power in a blender does the individual raw foodist to the small family of raw foodists NEED in a blender??..

Bigger IS NOT always better!!..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2007 06:56PM by baltochef.

Date: November 17, 2007 04:39AM

Wheatgrass Yogi,

I had worked as a prep cook for a few years, a few years ago. I am counfounded as to why people here use bar blenders instead of food blenders? Perhaps the average avocational cook has never worked with commercial-grade food blenders. They are usually sold through restaurant equipment stores or online vendors.

I had used a commercial-grade Waring blender and I surmise that because they are designed to puree food, they will last longer than a bar blender, whereas bar blenders are designed to mix beverages, and probably will need replacement more often than you would like.
I cannot advise you nor anyone as how to spend your money, but if I were to use a blender for pureeing or juicing food, I would use a commercial-grade Waring blender:

Waring Products
[www.waringproducts.com]
[www.blenderworld.com]

Blender World
[www.blenderworld.com]-
warfoodblender.html

REW
[www.restaurantequipment.net]

Serv-U
[www.servu-online.com]

The Restaurant Source
[www.restaurantsource.com]

Gala Source
[www.galasource.com]

A City Discount
[www.acitydiscount.com]

Happy blending!

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 05, 2007 04:10AM

ustaad Wrote:
> Be careful of dealing with the 'Blind Guru' before
> this new 20 AMP blender came out he was pushing
> the 31/2 hp blenders and everything about them
> from the jar design to it's 4 prong blade. He was
> using the Waring motor base (because of power)
> along with the Vita prep jar, tamper and cleaning
> brush. He is very deceptive in his selling. And
> know that this 20 AMP blender is out he is
> swearing by it, I don't know how many people got a
> chance to see the video of it in action but it is
> a Blendtech blender or it looks very similar to
> it.

BlindGuru is kind of shady. I didn't like him a year or so ago when he kept pretending to be a newbie on a few of the raw forums just to spam his link trying to make money.

I emailed him the other day asking about a price on a blender.. I had 2 DIFFERENT people get back to me with DIFFERENT prices on it. And both prices were much higher than other websites.

Then today I had another email in my box from blindguru, I filled out their quiz and of course they recommended the 20 amp BlendTec Smoother blender. Funny how last year the 3p and then the 3.5 were *the best* for whatever...now he's only promoting the 20amp and the Waring 3.5

I wonder what his commission is for pushing them so hard.

Posted by: ErikSkulasonUSA ()
Date: January 01, 2008 05:11AM

IMO, the Almond flour test (especially with such a large amonunt of almonds) is one of the harshest tests for a blender (the kiling one is if we put frozen veggies in container, sprinkle them w. water and let them freeze for couple of minutes and then try to blend them).

I can tell that my Vitamix Vita-Prep 3 motor is screaming when I do the almond flour. It does works, but this is a task meant to kill an ordinary blender.

For a single person or even a family, (IMO) there is no need of such a large containers.

If I would not own a blender, I would go for a 20 Amps of power.

After I bought both, a Vitamix and a Blendtech blender (for my father) I will also go for a blender w. programable cycles - like the Blendtech ones.
The programming is helping to reach more consistent results, a nice to have feature - not a "must have" one. I believe there is the option to programm your own cycles or to use the existing ones.

I am still dreaming for a glass container w. blades which hold their edge.

Pls. excuse my English - foreigner.

=============================================================
Medicine, Food Industry and Commerce are businesses.
Is their goal to make/keep me healthy or to make more profit?
=============================================================

Date: January 28, 2008 09:01AM

The 20 amp Blendtec listed on Everything Kitchens has this note "Equipped with 20 amp cord and modified plug - Dedicated 20 amp circuit required for operation"

Not sure what this means but it sounds like it might not even work on a standard 110volt household plug? Does anybody know exactly what this beast requires to run?

Date: January 28, 2008 11:48AM

Chive Wrote:
>Dedicated 20 amp circuit required
> for operation". Does anybody know exactly
>what this beast requires to run?

A special outlet is required. It's
a simple task for a Handyman.....WY

[partyrental.home.att.net]

Date: January 30, 2008 06:36PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> Chive Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >Dedicated 20 amp circuit required
> > for operation". Does anybody know exactly
> >what this beast requires to run?
>
> A special outlet is required. It's
> a simple task for a Handyman.....WY
>
>Chive & WY

It's not just a 20 amp outlet that's required!!..

You will need a 30 amp circuit in order to SAFELY run any 20 amp electrical appliance..

The "Rule of Thumb" regarding electrical wiring is to have an ample surplus of electricity on tap in the circuit so as NOT to overload the circuit / circuit breakers when the appliances plugged into the circuit are drawing peak current from the line..

The standard amount of electrical current that is on tap in the outlets of the average home will be from 10 amps to 15 amps..

Older homes (pre- 1970's) will generally have 10 amp circuits with the occasional 15 amp circuit here & there..Newer homes will generally have 15 amp circuits with the occasional 20 amp circuit here & there..

The only places common in both older & newer homes that had the higher capacity 30 amp circuits would be for the outlets where refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, & hot water heaters were plugged in..A lot of these 30 amp circuits are 220 volts, not 120 volts..Many of these outlets were only 20 amp circuits depending upon the electrical codes of the city, town, or municipality where the home was built..

Before purchasing any 20 amp appliance destined to be used in a kitchen it is vital to understand whether or not your home is equipped with a 30 amp circuit to plug the 20 amp appliance into..Virtually NO kitchens, older nor modern, are routinely equipped with 30 amp circuits to plug kitchen appliances into..Unless you are living in a home where the kitchen was custom built at the outset, or remodeled after final construction was completed, it is extremely unlikely that there will be a 30 amp wall outlet near the counter where a blender would be used..

And do not make the mistake of thinking that you can run an extension cord from a 30 amp outlet that already has another appliance such as a refrigerator plugged into it in order to plug in another appliance such as a blender..The circuit breaker would be tripping constantly..

A 20 amp blender, food processor, or any other kitchen appliance IS NOT a home, consumer tool..It is a commercial tool..Not only will these commercial tools be sized considerably larger then consumer ones, they also generate a correspondingly greater amount of noise as well..

As raw foodists, and I feel as consumers in general, we have become absolutely consumed with the "Bigger is Better" attitude in virtually every aspect of modern 21st Century life..

We want bigger bodies: Abs, pecs, calves, breasts, lips, penises, etc..

We want bigger cars, trucks, SUV's, boats, motorcycles, riding lawn mowers, etc..

We want bigger homes & the properties that those homes are built on..

We want bigger decks, gazebos, in-ground swimming pools, bar-b-q grills, etc..

We want bigger TV's, stereos, home entertainment systems, home theaters, etc..

And we want bigger kitchen appliances with more & more power..

I ask the members here this question in all seriousness:

In order to satisfy your cravings & desires for raw versions of SAD foods, "How far are you willing to go in order to equip your kitchen with appliances that are capable of overcoming poor & improper techniques so that the user can just turn the machine on & expect that there will NEVER be any problems??"..

In order to make foods such as dry hummus, large quantities of ground nuts or seeds (almond meal, sunflower seed meal); to be able to puree frozen foods with minimal amounts of liquid it is necessary, no it is paramount to understand just what your appliance is & IS NOT capable of..

Blenders WERE NOT designed to process foods with minimal or NO liquids..They were designed to blend foods with AMPLE amounts of liquid in the carafe..That the Vita-Mix, (and other blenders with similar power), will grind nuts & seeds into flour, or puree frozen foods with minimal liquids into slush; DOES NOT mean that these are proper usages of such a blender..

These demonstration videos where golf balls, cell phones, & other similar things are crushed to bits in a blender is, IMO, just plain STUPID!!..It's the type of sensationalist CRAP in advertising that we have become accustomed to..Manufacturers are willing to do ANYTHING in order to attract buyers to their products..Does anyone here on this forum REALLY believe that crushing golf balls in a blender is a PROPER demonstration of the blender??..How sharp do you think the blades will be after just ONE cycle of golf ball crushing??..It is this kind of sensational advertising that deludes consumers into believing that their blenders are capable of anything..

So they overload the blender's carafe, turn it on, and are just AMAZED that the blender is SMOKING the first time that they use it..After all, the recipe book says right there on the page that you can do this!!..How many posts do we constantly see where someone with a new blender or food processor has permanently damaged it in the first several weeks by trying to make a raw version of a SAD food, without the knowledge of when to STOP the machine before it is damaged??..

As responsible raw foodists it is my belief that those of us with more experience have to become much more vocal in warning newcomers to this lifestyle that the making of certain foods is going to pose an almost certain risk to their blenders or food processors..Trying to create frozen ice cream from large chunks of bananas (or other large pieces of fruit), dry hummus (and other similar dry mixtures), nut & seed meals, are some of the raw food processes that I think should have sticky postings on raw food forums warning newcomers as to the risks posed by attempting these processes in a blender or food processor..As well as instructing people on how to safely accomplish these tasks, if that is possible..

A lot of the raw food printed & online recipe books have recipes with procedures & processes that assume a high degree of knowledge on the part of the raw foodist as far as knowing when to turn off the appliance before trouble develops..With so many modern people NOT having a lot of experience in the kitchen, & not understanding their appliances capabilities very well, this leads to a a high number of blender & food processor failures..

Every time that someone new to raw foodism trashes their new blender or food processor, there is a risk that they will be turned away from the lifestyle by the experience of doing so..I fee it is incumbent that we do whatever is needed in order to minimize this possibility..

I would be willing to be part of any team of people needed in order to write stickies in order to warn newcomers of potential pitfalls in kitchen procedures..I offer my services thus..

Bruce

Date: January 30, 2008 08:04PM

Bruce......I just checked my Breaker Box and I have a 20 AMP circuit in my Kitchen. My house was built in 1962. So you're saying the new 20 AMP Blenders would not work for me, right?......WY

Date: January 30, 2008 10:15PM

WY

Any appliance that is rated exactly at or near to (18 amps plus) 20amps, will be best served by being plugged into a 30 amp circuit..

Such appliances WILL work & run fine on a 20 amp circuit, as long as they are not being used at their maximum rated capacity..It is when the appliance is drawing it's full 20 amps that trouble can & will occur..As soon as the appliance draws enough electrical power from the outlet to overload the circuit & trip the circuit breaker..

Theoretically, if the overload ONLY occurred over a small period of time, say a few seconds, the risk would be relatively small..However, what usually occurs is that the heat in the line builds up slowly, due to the way that the appliance is being used, causing the entire line from the circuit breaker to the outlet to heat up..

Remember, alternating current electricity is nothing more then charged electrons moving back & forth at the speed of light over & through a transmission line of some sort..The physics of electricity dictates that heat MUST be produced by the very nature of the process..

It is when an overload occurs that the potential for disaster is possible..Not only can the appliance's electric motor & cord become permanently damaged; but the outlet & any part of the system all the way back to the circuit breaker can also be damaged..

If there is a long period of time for the heat in the line to build up before the circuit breaker trips, then the possibility always exists for the insulation covering the electric line to melt & fail, thus starting a fire..It is for this reason that an electrician will ALWAYS recommend to NOT overload ANY circuit..The greater the amperage that the line is designed & rated for, the greater the amount of heat that will be required in order to make the insulation fail; & thus the greater likelihood of starting a fire..

All this presupposes that the heat within the electric line does not cause the wall materials or wall insulation to fail & catch on fire before the electric line itself does..

The older a home's wiring is the greater the chances of that same wiring failing before newer wiring would..

Under NO circumstances would I plug in & use an appliance, or appliances, that would potentially overload the circuits in older homes such as yours Wheatgrass Yogi (1962), or mine (1953)..It is just not worth the risk..

Something that we all take for granted is electricity..It is the single most dangerous thing in any modern persons' life, day in & day out, year in & year out..

As modern humans we have very successfully harnessed electricity to our needs & desires..We have done so in a way that minimizes it's power & danger..ALL of us, myself included, take it for granted..It is not until there is an accident or death that we tend to remember just how dangerous electricity truly is..

Hope this helps..

Bruce

P.S. Repeatedly overloading a circuit & tripping the circuit breaker will cause the outlet, the electric wiring, & the circuit breaker to sustain damage; ultimately resulting in failure, & the possibility of fire..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 10:19PM by baltochef.

Date: January 21, 2009 01:45AM

Bruce (baltochef),

If you connect a 20A appliance to a 30A circuit breaker, isn't there a risk of overheating your 20A appliance? Assume this 20A appliance malfunctions and begins to draw more than 20A? In this scenario, a 20A breaker would trip but a 30A breaker would allow the 20A appliance to continue drawing power past its 20A max until it possibly catches on fire. Right?

Have you tested this the [Blendtec 20A 3.5HP+ 2400w] to see if it reached its 20A max?

Please share your thoughts on this.
Many thanks,
Rick

Date: January 21, 2009 09:45AM

rawnewbie Wrote:
> Bruce (baltochef),
>
> If you connect a 20A appliance to a 30A circuit
> breaker, isn't there a risk of overheating your
> 20A appliance?
I don't think Bruce is following this Forum
anymore. But to answer your question.....No, there is no
danger. If it was a 20A appliance, and a 15A circuit, there
would be......WY

Posted by: flash ()
Date: January 21, 2009 05:32PM

Actually, rawnewbie is correct. It is much more likely, however, that the blender's overtemp shut-off will prevent the blender from catching fire. Using it on a circuit with only a 15A breaker may require resetting the breaker if the blender is used under a heavy load. If that happens, I would like to know what you are blending.

Regards,

flash

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 21, 2009 07:11PM

> Using it on a circuit with only a 15A
> breaker may require resetting the breaker if the
> blender is used under a heavy load. If that
> happens, I would like to know what you are
> blending.

No, a 20A blender absolutely requires a 20A circuit (preferably a dedicated one), which if up to code, will be wired from the main distribution panel with 12 gauge (heavy, USA) wire, which is required to handle the current, which at start-up or under heavy load may reach 20 amps.

Using undersize wiring from the main distribution panel (like typical 15A circuits using 14 gauge US) can result in frequent breaker trip or failure, and can also cause the motor to burn out in a hurry (insufficient current does this to motors).

BTW, I think we are talking 120volt US, but if getting the 220V model (they sell them too) you need the 20A 220V receptical, 12g wire to the panel, and a 220V circuit breaker at the main distribution panel as well.

brad

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2009 07:22PM by loeve.

Date: January 21, 2009 07:31PM

flash Wrote:
> Actually, rawnewbie is correct. It is much more
> likely, however, that the blender's overtemp
> shut-off will prevent the blender from catching
> fire.
Yep, I see you're right. I've missed them before.
I'd still rather have a 30A circuit for my 20A appliance over
a 20A circuit (or a 15A).
To your good health......WY

Date: January 21, 2009 10:48PM

> I'd still rather have a 30A circuit for my 20A
> appliance over
> a 20A circuit (or a 15A).

Sometimes there's an abandoned range or water heater outlet rated at 30, 40 or
even 50 amps. These are fine to convert for the k-tec as long as the 110/220
phase issue is addressed.

Posted by: roostermillard ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:11AM

The 20 amp blender looks amazing. Our house was built in 2001. The circuit breaker box is marked 20 amp in Kitchen, laundry room, bathrooms. Basically is marked 20 amp except bedrooms and dinning room.
I have wanted the Blendtec 20 amp for 5 months now. Our greenstar 3000, bought in 2002,died after 100 days of juice feasting 1/2 to 1 gallon of juice a day.

Does anyone out there own any of the Blendtec models?

Date: January 23, 2009 03:46PM

roostermillard Wrote:
> The 20 amp blender looks amazing. Our house was
> built in 2001. The circuit breaker box is marked
> 20 amp in Kitchen, laundry room, bathrooms.
> Basically is marked 20 amp except bedrooms and
> dinning room.

Hi roostermillard
The 20 amp blender, I believe, comes with a "modified plug" to be used on a "dedicated" circuit. Your kitchen has 20 amp recepticles, but are not necessarily "dedicated" in the sense that the circuit supplies ONLY that recepticle. There are different levels of "dedication", IMO.

"A 20 amp rated branch circuit dedicated as a single 20 amp receptacle for a specific load is designed to accept only a set of spades that are one verticle and one horizontal." [www.selfhelpforums.com]

BTW, circuits, wiring and recepticles are sized by code to protect the building, not the appliance. One should never modify breakers or receptacles without meeting the electric code, nor modify an appliance plug configuration without consulting the manufacturer.

regards

Posted by: roostermillard ()
Date: January 23, 2009 08:28PM

Loeve,
Thank you so much for the info. My Our kitchen 20 amps receptacles are no dedicated like the one in the laundry room. I think I will pass on the 20 amp Blendtec for now unless we decide to get an electrician to handle the job for us.

Date: January 27, 2009 02:11AM

I originally learned about the Blendtec 20-amp blenders while shopping for a juicer. The "blind guru" claimed that juicing was bad and his blender was much better.

The claim that I'm still a bit foggy on, and would appreciate others views on is that the 20-amp's break down the fruits/veggis' cell walls, creating "stage two juice" and releasing "phytonutrients" which couldn't have been done with a blender with less power. It all sounds slightly crazy and somewhat plausable all at the same time...please help a newbie to the arena..thanks

Date: January 27, 2009 02:42AM

Hi-Ya-healthkick Wrote:
> I originally learned about the Blendtec 20-amp
> blenders while shopping for a juicer. The "blind
> guru" claimed that juicing was bad and his blender
> was much better.
BlindGuru uses a blender as a juicer. I don't like
the way he squeezes it all through a plastic bag to make juice.
As far as breaking down cell-walls, it doesn't take a commercial
20 AMP blender. They are designed to handle large amounts of
produce.....far too much for the individual. It's better to go
with a 11.5A to 13A. They have enough power to liquefy any
individual serving for maximum nutrition........WY

Posted by: ydnar22 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 05:30AM

a 20 amp blender is not a tool for most people. Yes they are sold with a Pigtail so you can plug it into you standard wall outlet. Current Residential codes have 20 amp plugs above the counter with a GCFI circuit installed Usually around the Sink.

Is it possible to use the pig tail to connect your 20 amp appliance to a 20 amp circuit. yes that's not the problem. It requires a dedicated because it will draw 20 amp on start up. So any other appliances on this same circuit could cause a break or trip of the breaker. The 20 amp blender pulls less than 20 amps after the initial start. Usually about 13-16 amp depending on whats blending. This is True with any blender, Blendtec, Vitamix, ect. they pull most there power at the start up. Older kitchens that have a 20 amp circuit its prolly not a good idea. Anything pre 1970 used 10-12 gauge wire for 20 amp circuits and most likely the same breaker for many rooms. my house (pre 1900) not only has Less than par wiring it has 2 sets of wiring one for ac and one for dc.

I do own a 20 amp blendtec Blender, not bought from blindguru thank god.

The average family can do well with a Blendtec hp3a or a Vitamix Vitaprep 3 if you feel the need to have a powerful blender. the 20 amp blender is great for us but we are a family of 6 so it just makes the mornings go a little faster. with our Vitamix takes 2 rounds to get what we do in one with our 20 amp. (larger container) We did install a dedicated circuit for ours when we remodeled the kitchen.

i seen someone post that they make a 220v 20 amp blender. This is also not correct the highest amprage you will find on 220v blender is 9 amps, Unless you are looking at a blender that will for 100s of gallons at one time. Common misconseption.

as for needing a 30 amp circuit for a 20 amp appliance this is not correct either. or the danger of plugging in a 20 amp blender into a 30 amp circuit, the breaker is rated on pull amperage not push amperage. The thing pulged in decides how many amps its needs and the line needs to be able to supply that. simply put your lights in your home are on either a 15 or 20 amp circuit, Yet the Average light need less than an amp to run. and that's all it pulls. this is why the blender needs a dedicated circuit. It will mostly likely pull more amperage then anything else plugged in will ever need Causing damage to other appliances. If you choose to Plug it into a non dedicated circuit make sure nothing else is plugged into the circuit.

To have a Electrician put the circuit in is very cheap, most handy man services can do it for you, or a quick trip to home depot depending on your local codes and level or comfort doing it your self. 20 amps by code is 12 gauge, i would use 10 gauge wire to be safer. as a rule of thumb you can use the next size up and most contractors i know do. higher gauge wire means less friction and less heat. So newer kitchens most likely are already running 12 gauge wire on the 20 amp lines.

Plugging in a 20 amp appliance into a 15 amp circuit will ruin the appliance the breaker on the line protects the lines, It may work for a while but it is putting unneeded stress on the appliances and the lines.

Just to Make sure i'm very clear

if the appliance requires a 20 amp dedicated that's the best option. Do people use the pigtails, they certainty do. It this safe well that depends on who you talk to. Electricity is not safe in general. But a 20 amp appliances plugged into a 20 amp circuit with nothing else on the line that meets codes there should not be any problems.

Do rawfoodist need a 20 amp blender, in most cases absolutely not. Depends on the situation. Like i said for us it makes things quicker to get 6 smoothies out before work/school/whatever but we did just fine with our vitamix vitaprep 3 for 6 years. It boiled down to a convenience factor.

As i have watched this forum for well over a year picking up tips and such i know how people like to call out when someone is making post to take advantage of the community and promote there products. So i will point out i do own a Company that promotes products that you guys talk a lot about on this board. Please note the fact i'm saying not many people need a blender this large and i have inclosed no links to my sites nor do i plan to.

Date: January 29, 2009 01:58PM

ydnar22......Very nice post. I doubt if the ICD7 Blendtec will
attract much interest here. It's very pricey at $800, but worth
it in my opinion. Look what it does to Nut Shells, and it wasn't even at full
power......WY

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 29, 2009 02:56PM

ydnar22 Wrote:
> i seen someone post that they make a 220v 20 amp
> blender. This is also not correct the highest
> amprage you will find on 220v blender is 9 amps...

..ah, I see now in the Blendtec Operations Manual they list the 2000 watt ICB5 which runs at 220 volts, less powerful than the 2400 watt ICB7, but less demanding on circuit conductor size.

..from the manual:

1.7 THE 110/120 VOLT RECEPTACLE FOR EACH POWER UNIT MUST
BE PROTECTED BY A SEPARATE 20 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER OR FUSE.
THE 220/240 VOLT RECEPTACLE FOR EACH POWER UNIT MUST BE
PROTECTED BY A SEPARATE 13 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER OR FUSE.
Do not use any other electrical equipment on the same circuit as
the blender or you risk overloading the circuit and either damaging
the blender electronics or blowing the circuit protection.

..just hope people are careful about overloading their circuits and damaging the blender electronics

[commercial.blendtec.com]

Date: January 29, 2009 03:54PM

..oh, and it looks like the 110/120 vs. 220/240 volt question is confusing people, so here is the basic formula for calculating power:

Power (watts) = volts (force) x amps (current)

..if and when Blendtec offers an ICB7 220/240 volt model, it will still have the SAME power (2400 watts) but will be rated at 10 amps as follows

2400 watts = 240 volts x 10 amps

..for a discussion of 110 vs. 220 when selecting tools or appliances see [forums2.gardenweb.com]

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables