Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Comsuming Juice pulp -- Beneficial?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 19, 2007 01:48AM

All, last question for today!

Is eating the pulp worthwhile? Purely as a fibre source, or is it considered no better/worse than other sources of fibre? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comsuming Juice pulp -- Beneficial?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: November 19, 2007 07:10AM

If you want Fiber, why don't you just use your blender and have Smoothies (sometimes called 'Total Juice')? The concept of Juicing is to take in Nutrients without fiber. Both juicing and blending have a place in the Diet....WY

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: November 20, 2007 01:13AM

It depends. The "experts" suggest that we need 30 g per day. But this has not been shown to be beneficial in all studies-- 30 g per 1000 kcal is probably a better figure--for most of us that means twice as much, or more. Paleoman got an estimated 100 g per day and at least one study has shown extreme benefits at over 100 g per day.

If you are already getting at least 60 g per day you probably don't need to eat the pulp. But if you are getting much less than 60 g per day you could consider eating some of the pulp.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 21, 2007 03:39AM

I save all of my pulp and dehydrate it and save it for recipes.

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: November 21, 2007 05:29AM

the rational for juicing is to remove pulp
for 2 reasons

1) to consume more
who can eat five ten carrots, 3 celery stalks, and half a beet-(in a few minutes) without juicing?
And consuming more, means more nutrients absorbed.

2) to absorb the nutrients more rapidly and efficiently
in 30 minutes the juice is out of the tummy
this is possible because all the cellulose (think sawdust) has been removed.

To remove this fiber and then put it back into the juice is counter productive.
A Wells Press (another few hundred bucks) will remove some more juice from the pulp. Alternatively if desperate to waste nothing the pulp could be blended with water and the liquid strained.

the need for high fiber applies to folks who gum their guts up with wheat, meat, cooked slop, bad food combinations, and other garbage. The SAD diet is low in fiber--hence the need to add it.

If you eat a raw diet, you are getting lots of fiber already, unless you are mainly trying to live on juices.

Blending carrot juice (made with juicer) with bananas, is a way to make a thicker drink, without eating the low nutrient fiber (think sawdust) left over from the juicer.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: November 21, 2007 04:27PM

i tend to juice lately. instaed of veg smoothies, as i find i am too full. isometimes make a pate out of the pulp, add tomato or avocado and ground seeds etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables