Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New Raw Foodist! What should I start with??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2008 05:43PM

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Raw Food and I'm super excited to get started actually making stuff (I'm getting bored with just eating straight apples, avacados, and nuts)...
which is better to start with? A blender, juicer, or food processor?
Being a student, I can only afford one thing at a time. sad smiley
I'd like to know what you all think I would get the most use out of.

Also -- any advice on what main ingredients I should go ahead and pick up such as spices or sweetners? What do you all find is used the most in recipes? I've been researching recipes but it all seems so overwhelming!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Raw Foodist! What should I start with??
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: January 09, 2008 07:30PM

I'm new to raw foods too... although I have a lot to learn I have just started eating more veggies and fruit-- raw of course... I don't use spices really and I don't do any fancy raw meals-- just wonderfully simple, natural fruits and veggies. Although, I do slip some, I am transitioning so I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. One thing that did help for me is juicing-- I'm kind of backed up a bit (if ya know what I mean -hehe!) so I didn't see any energy increase until I started juicing!! (juicer was $99) This is one of the main reasons I decided to switch to a raw lifestyle... need more energy... was sick and tired of having zero energy.
I'll give you an idea of what I eat down below. I don't have a food processor. I have a blender and a juicer- haven't used blender yet- but I will, I love smoothies. I do use my juicer... the past two days I have used it alot... hence my energy increase. I have a dehydrator but I have never even used it--- oh and definately try and get organic foods.
This is a wonderful forum... people are very friendly and willing to help out... hopefully you will get lots of responses- hopefully some that are more experienced than mine, seeing as I have only been doing this a few weeks....
Here are some of the foods I eat-- I won't list the naughty cheats as u can probably imagine what they are!!
I wish you all the best! Nice to have someone starting along side me!! Just think, by summer, we will be well on our way!!! yay!

apples, oranges, tangerines, peaches, strawberries, persimmons, blueberries, pineapple, coconut, thai coconut, bananas

romaine lettuce, spinach, arugula, zuchini, yellow squash, asparagus, grape tomatoes, roma tomatoes, carrots, lemon, lime

a few lara bars- raw bars, though I don't think organic

a few walnuts, almonds, pecans

anne's organic "goddess" dressing- not raw- I don't think- but a great naughty cheat I dip my salad into.

lots of water!!!

Date: January 10, 2008 02:43AM

thanks for the advice -- I think I'm going to really like juicing once I start, I just need the proper equipment. I love fruit and have always been very adventurous when it comes to trying new kinds.
I did have a rather unfortunate time tonight, though...
I heard of a Papaya cleanse (on www.goneraw.com) where you eat papaya (in addition to your other daily fruits and veggies and so on) but also eat the black seeds with it for 7 days and its supposed to help you detox a little. Well, I've never had papaya and I bought one tonight and it was terrible!! I think it was rotten or something so I'm taking it back to the store.

you think you've been naughty??!! I am still eating cottage cheese and brown rice with pepper! I love it, but I will slowly learn to let it go. I've been eating a lot of almonds and cashews (which I guess aren't really raw even if the package says they are??!) and of course tons of fruit and SOME veggies. I think I'm kind of clueless about the veggie part because I've always loved veggies - I just don't know how to eat some of them raw. Like, what about potatoes and yams?
I bought a cucumber, tomato, and red bell pepper to add to my salads and also just bought some cold pressed olive oil to make a nice dressing with sea salt.
Maybe that will get me past my cottage cheese addiction because I put it on salads too!

OH! And those Lara Bars are GREAT! I love the "cahsew cookie" and the "cocao mole" ones...

It IS nice to meet someone else who is just starting out. If you learn anything new, let me know and I'll do the same!

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: January 10, 2008 04:05PM

Another newbie here too! I would start out with a juicer and drink as much as you can afford (darn the price tag of produce these days!!) and eat lots of salads with lots of veggies in it. I will post the salad dressing to use that came out of "The Raw Food Detox Diet" book below. I am getting my Vitamix in this Friday so I can start making the smoothies out of "Greens for Life" book and be able to make some soups that some other WONDERFUL raw foodists have listed in these forums. But one step at a time : )

As far as sweetners go I haven't used any YET. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. I am not sure about the food processor but I heard you can make just about anything from soups, salsas, smoothies, etc. but I think I like the fact that you can buy attachments to be able to cut, chop, dice or shred your veggies (to put on your salad) because I hate doing it by hand! But that will be the next purchase...sometime in the future : )

Liquid Gold Elixir (SALAD DRESSING)

2 cups fresh lemon juice
3 whole cloves garlic
3 tablespoons minced ginger
3 tablespoons Nama Shoyu soy sauce
3 heaping tablespoons raw honey (or more if desired)
1 ½ cups cold-pressed olive oil

1. Place all of the ingredients except the oil in blender.
2. Begin blending at normal speed.
3. As the mixture is blending, slowly add the olive oil until it’s completely blended.

*This recipe should last over a week in the fridge

Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: January 11, 2008 03:09PM

chrissypie123,

I had questions about what veggies were okay to eat raw too-- I asked the question on the "living and raw food discussion forum" the question I asked specifically was "What veggies can one NOt eat raw? Look this up if you have time... I got alot of great responses and advice, really has helped me out alot! Oh yes the cashew cookie is one of my fav lara bars too.

ksandberg2002,

I agree about the prices of produce-- wow, I really need to start learning how to get the best deals- like buying more fruit in season, etc. Juicing does get expensive but for now it is really helping me transition... let me know how you like your vitamix... I am thinking about getting one but would love to hear what you think about it first!

I think I might start a journal on the "Raw Diary" forum... join in if ya'll want! Would be nice to have some other newbies going along for the ride!!

Best of luck to you both!!!

Sincerely,
joanna2007

Date: February 08, 2008 06:36PM

This is a really great community of raw foodists! I am new too. It is nice to know I am not alone. I use a J. Lelahne juicer-just throwing everything raw we have in the frige into my juices. Do ya'll know if there are food combos to avoid? Also, whats the skinney on the vitamixer? Do you end up with a paste instead of a juice? Are they expensive?
New at message boarding too. I hope my ettiquette is on par. I would love any beginner advice...Like, what does a typical day of raw meals look like?
Thanks!
Sunflowergirl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables