Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A little help here please?
Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: January 29, 2008 05:23PM

Are you supposed to "JUICE" spinach or "BLEND" it in a blender with other juices? I have only blended it with other juices and when I set it in the fridge it seperates into 1/2 green smoothie 1/2 green foam...lol. I am also using a whole bag of spinach in my Vita-Mix...is that TOO MUCH?? Little help here everyone : )

Thanks!!!

Kim

P.S. Are most greens blended instead of juiced? And what about bananas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little help here please?
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 29, 2008 06:07PM

The important difference between juicing and blending is that when juicing the solid fibers are discarded. Greens can be handled either way, and both have advantages. I believe that nearly everyone juices grasses, as they have much tougher fiber than greens. Most fruits can be either juiced or blended, but bananas and avocados are blended. Because of their creamy texture I'd be surprised if they could be juiced at all.

I usually transfer my smoothies to canning jars as they seal tightly and are very transportable. If my smoothie separates before I finish it I can always shake the jar to re-mix.

I don't think you can have too much spinach (nutritionally). I can't say what I think of the amount you're using since I have no idea how big your bags are. You may want to limit your quantity if a large amount of spinach overpowers other flavors in your smoothie to the point where you no longer enjoy the taste.

If your smoothie is not as smooth as you'd like it, you could try reducing the quantity of fibrous ingredients (like spinach), juicing some of the fibrous ingredients (so the fiber is discarded), or increasing the amount of liquid in other ways. Add extra water, coconut water, nut milk, other fresh juices or whole juicy fruits.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 29, 2008 06:53PM

I answered this where you asked in the other thread.

Also--bananas can't be juiced, they don't have enough water. Greens are blended if you want a smoothie and juiced if you want juice. Depends on what you want--do you want the fiber? Do you want a concentrated shot of greens?

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: January 29, 2008 07:37PM

Thanks FRANCES & ROST0037!!!

You guys are AWESOME!!

Frances - I use the canning jars too to transport my smoothies every day to work and they come in very handy if you make too much in the blender : ) !!

Rost0037 - Thanks for responding, I didn't think anyone would answer to my post since no one had written anything in awhile on that particular one : )

~Peace & Happiness~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables