Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

blending protein into smoothies?
Posted by: mindy_r ()
Date: February 01, 2008 02:45PM

hi,

i am new to raw food and i have decided to start with fruit smoothies for breakfast every morning (thank you to someone for the idea from my original post!) i have been drinking the healing smoothie (from the recipes section of this site) since i am trying to heal my belly from an ulcer, and other ones that i make from the fruit i have on hand. my problem is that although i love the taste of them i find that i feel hungry again pretty fast. i was thinking that i would blend in some type of protein to make me feel full longer. my idea was was to soak raw almonds over night and then grind them and add them to the smoothie. i don't know what you think about this idea, and how many would i add to a smoothie? any suggestions would be great. i want to eventually have green smoothies for lunch and then work my way to 100% raw. i am very nervous about the detox though! i am a wimp and i do not like being sick!

another question that i has was i was thinking about grinding flax seeds and adding them to my smoothies too but i don't know how much to add or even if this is a good idea!

thank you for your time and thank you in advance for any suggestions!

take care,

mindy

oh! i LOVE having the fruit smooties for breakfast. lately my stomach has been hurting less so i hope that means i am on the right track! i also have IBS so i am hoping that this will help those symptoms as well!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blending protein into smoothies?
Posted by: blackfoot98 ()
Date: February 01, 2008 03:54PM

Hey, I'm new to the raw food lifestyle as well. And I know what you mean by being hungry a little while after having your breakfast smoothly. Personally, and I know some people on these boards will disagree, I think there's nothing wrong with adding protein to your smoothy. Adding nuts is great, or use a protein powder. I really like Spiru-Tein mixes. I know, I know, it's not raw food, but while you're adusting to the diet, I don't think it'll hurt. One Spirutein shake and I'm full for half a day. Or, you could, if it's convenient, just make another shake mid-morning before lunch. Sorry, I don't have any "expert" advice, I'm new myself. But it helps me with hunger. And I like being able to read the label and see how much vitamins I'm getting.

Date: February 01, 2008 07:42PM

thanks blackfoot! it is good to hear that i am not the only one who feels hungry again too fast! i could try another shake again mid-morning but i will be going back to work again soon and i don't like the way juiced fruit is unless i can drink it right away.
thanks again,
mindy

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:25PM

Nuts are harder to digest, even when they have been sprouted. I usually add a couple tablespoons of raw pumpkin seeds and a tablespoon of sunflower seeds to my green smoothies and it works out great. (Seeds being much easier to digest than nuts.) And of course you can sprout the seeds for a few hours before using to make them more digestable as well.

Date: February 08, 2008 04:53PM

Avocadess thats such a good idea.. *runs off to buy raw pumpkin seeds*

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 08, 2008 07:21PM

Raw pumpkin seeds are great -- and high in zinc too! winking smiley

Date: February 10, 2008 01:18AM

thanks avocadess! that is a great idea. i love pumpkin seeds. i am really VERY new to this, so i probably have the stupidest question known to man...but, when you get pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to sprout you get the hulled (raw) ones right??? for some reason i was thinking for a bit that they wouldn't sprout if they were out of their shells but the almonds that i soaked did a good job at starting to sprout without their shells... smiling smiley haha! i will slowly get it i am sure...i am finding that the more raw food i eat the more i want to eat. it is great! i am still very far from where i want to be but i am trying

thanks again,

mindy

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 11, 2008 03:22AM

You could also add a T of coconut oil as fat also takes longer to digest. Adding a probiotic to your smoothie also would be good for healing your ulcer perhaps.

I add in about 1-2 T of ground flaxseed powder to my smoothies when I use it.

Love,
Prism

Date: February 12, 2008 02:10AM

thanks prism! i will look for coconut oil. and i will for sure add some flax to my next smootie.

i made a fruit smoothie this morning with soaked pumpkin and sunflower seeds blended in. it was great!!

i was taking a probiotic last year (acidopholis sp!!). it was suggested by the homeopathic dr i went to see. she also suggested some digestive enzymes and grapefruit seed extract and a few other things. she said i have "leaky gut syndrome". i was bad last year and did not change my diet much. i am working on it now and i am starting to feel much better.

thanks for all your advice,

take care,

mindy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:49PM

ive used a brown rice protein before that works deliciously with bananas and nut butters/seeds. as for flax seeds, probably 1-2 tablespoons (ground in mortar or grinder) is a good supplement.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 09, 2008 03:20AM

I've been adding my flax seeds unground to my blender, it does a fine job with them in my fruit smoothies (to which I also add some nutribiotic rice protein).

I usually have my smoothie (usually 2 oranges, 1 apple, handful each of grapes and strawberries) after my 7 AM workout and it keeps me set until lunchtime. It's important for me to add fat and protein, otherwise I get hungry too soon.

Date: March 11, 2008 03:59AM

thanks everyone!

i have been soaking pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds over night and blending then into my smoothies. it really helps. i have found that i feel fuller longer now even if i don't blend in the protein, i guess my body is getting used to eating/drinking this way.

take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables