Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best way to get greens
Posted by: robinbird ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:56PM

I have been reading blender vs. juicer vs.food processor. I understand that each makes a different consistancy and that each appliance should be used for what it does best. I also understand the difference between masticating juicers and centrifugal and that the vita mix on high speed for long perioods of time can "heat" things and break down enzymes.

I like greens. I make all green smoothies with no fruit. What is the health benefit or difference between making a green smoothie in a Vita mix versus a masticating juicer or a centrifugal juicer? which is healthier which will last longer in the fridge?

thanks for help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best way to get greens
Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 15, 2008 11:05PM

If you blend your greens you keep all the fiber in your food and eat it. This can be great because it isn't wasteful and because fiber is really, really important. On the other hand, you can't consume as many greens if you eat all the fiber. Separating the juice gives you an extra concentration of nutrition. Neither is always better, and it depends a lot on your goals. Juice is really great for healing because of its concentrated nutrition, but the extra fiber in blended greens is very cleansing. (Think of broom fibers sweeping out your internal dust.)

Masticating juicers usually run much, much slower than centrifugal juicers. This results in less heat and oxidation which makes a more healthful juice, but you'll have to wait longer to get it. If you need a lot of juice speed may be of the essence.

Of the three options blending is generally the easiest set-up and clean-up. Between the two types of juices there's a lot of variance in design and I don't think I'm expert enough to say which type is generally easier to clean.

Date: February 15, 2008 11:46PM

thanks for your answer. so from what you are saying i think blending is the way to go. I drink about 10 oz whether i juice or blended but i guess if i want to increase you are saying that it will be hard wit blended juice because its so fiberous.

I am not healing form any specific problem. i would like to boost my immune system any specific recipes of greens for that? i also tend to do all greens n]maybe ginger maybe lemon but i don;t use fruit. I assume people put in fruit because they can;t tolerate the green taste, i don;t mind it.

Im sort of new to all this so i appreciate the help

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 16, 2008 01:40AM

It's true that you will probably want to drink smoothies slower because they are thicker, but even with juice it's healthy to take your time. You can chug your juice, but I wouldn't recommend it.

When I said you could drink more juiced than you can eat blended, that isn't really what I meant. I meant that you could juice an entire bunch of greens and make a manageable glass of super-healthy, super-powered juice, but if you blend it up you'll have several times the volume and a lot more fiber - it might be too much for you to consume at once. If your goal is to absorb the nutrients from, say, five pounds of carrots, you would have a very difficult time doing that if you needed to eat (or drink) the entire carrots. For the same reason, juicing is also a good way to increase your calories without resorting to large amounts of fat.

I don't know any specific ways to support the immune system on raw, except to say that the more you support your general health the more your body will be able to support you. I know that chlorophyll is good for the blood and anything you do the keep your circulation strong and healthy can only help.

Date: February 18, 2008 11:39PM

ok so i blended my greens for the last few days and ate a few bowls of pure greens. I ended up with tremendous stomach cramps and i thought it might cause a major "cleanse" but it didn't. Maybe thios is what you meant by too much fiber?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables