Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ultimate green smoothie
Posted by: emiliab ()
Date: March 16, 2008 08:38PM

what is the ultimate recipe for a green smoothie? I have a regular blender. Its works really well. And I have a Juicer. What are some good recipes. I'm really new to this, and I've been raw for 5 days now so far. I know that some people add something called vitamix...can someone tell me where i can get the ingredients.

thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ultimate green smoothie
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 16, 2008 11:47PM

haha, so cute. A vitamix is a blender!! the ingredients are added to the vitamix to be blended up. I will post a couple of my fave smoothies in a bit!
Veggiefreak

Date: March 17, 2008 12:22AM

hahah. i laughed after i realized i wrote vitamix. therew's something else vita-something....so i didn't bother to change it b/c i couldn't remember what i was called.

Date: March 17, 2008 01:10AM

Here are a few that I do on a regular basis:

6-7 pieces kale
1 apple
1/2 lime with peel
2-3 big handfuls arugula
4-5 leaves of mint
scoop of chia seeds (does anyone else go crazy over chia seeds?)

1 banana
4-5 strawberries unhulled, just thrown in after washing
1/2 head of small cabbage - or a good amount of any other green

Sometimes I soak the chia seeds before I add them so that they gel up. If I don't have apples, I use pears. Since I only eat 2 a day, I usually just blend the whole apple or pear.

one more -
1 stalk celery - the whole thing (not one rib)
2 c (usually I do less, 1 c is fine for me)
1 banana

I used to do the Green lemonade from natalia Rose's book, but she recommends juicing everything and lately, I am totally into the blended drinks instead. YUM! I can't wait for breakfast! veggie

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2008 03:25AM

>>does anyone else go crazy over chia seeds?<<

I used to buy chia seeds for my blender drink back in the mid eighties. Sometime in the late eighties, the price went through the roof, costing as much as $18/lb. My local health food stores just stopped carrying them. They told me the chia pet craze was driving up the price.

Since then, I have yet to see chia seeds in any health food stores. Locally, I have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods and New Seasons. Haven't' seen chia seeds at any of them.

Do you order them online?

Date: March 17, 2008 01:03PM

I have been getting them at whole food (in florida) but am going to start getting them bulk through a friend who orders them. They seem to have incredible nutritional content, just wondering if anyone else agreed. Interesting story about the correlation between the seeds and the pet. The darn media!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:10PM

I did mango,banana and spinach today.That was good!!!

Date: March 20, 2008 01:24AM

mmm sounds good. But what I was talking about before was Superfoods. Does anyone use superfoods? A friend told me that he makes it be individually buying everything dry and then makes a weekly supply of it. whats the best one "pre-fab"...and should I use it?

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 20, 2008 01:38AM

There's no real consensus about the exotic superfoods. Some people really enjoy them. Personally, I don't feel the "aliveness" of any dried, powdered food supplements. I eat raw cocoa once a month or so, but that's mostly because I'm accustomed to chocolate in my life. Otherwise, I feel that fresh fruits and veggies are my best superfoods. An apple a day keeps the doctor away!

Date: March 21, 2008 12:43PM

I still really don't know what superfoods are - what does your friend mix together to make superfoods emiliab?

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:42PM

People use different definitions of "superfoods". Some people mean anything with especially strong nutritional characteristics, like blueberries and parsley. Others refer to more exotic foods that are often expensive and sold dried. For a tour of some of the more obscure superfoods, take a look at Shazzie making a superfood snack food: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 22, 2008 02:55PM

CHUH CHUH CHUHCHUH CHUHHH CHUHHH CHUHHH CHUHH CHHHHHEEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!

i wanna sprout me one of those chia pets!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 24, 2008 01:20PM

Superfoods are spirulina,maca,cacao,seaweeds (dulse,arame,kelp..)
I add spirulina to my smoothies,and a lot of seaweeds to my salads.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 24, 2008 11:15PM

The best Superfood is Wheatgrass Juice. Use it on your face, too, mixed with clay as a mask. It makes the skin look years younger......WY

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 05:09PM

WY -

I LOVE Wheatgrass Juice! Unfortunately I am only able to use the powder form since I don't have a machine to juice fresh. But I drink it every day and I love the earthy taste of it!! I actually crave it a lot of times.

Anyway, I am interested in that mask thing....what kind and where do I buy this "clay" to mix it with and how much to mix?

THANKS!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables