Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Carafe
Posted by: Libra ()
Date: March 27, 2008 07:54PM

I know that you can use a Vitamix Carafe on a Waring blender. But what about the opposite. Can you use a Waring Carafe on a Vitamix blender?

I want to avoid plastic and want the Waring stainless steel carafe, but I want to buy a Vitaprep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carafe
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 27, 2008 08:26PM

Yes, they're interchangeable.....WY

Date: March 27, 2008 09:59PM

Would you say getting the Vitaprep instead of the Waring base is the way to go? Either way, I'm getting the stainless steel carafe.

Date: March 27, 2008 11:39PM

The Waring is a good blender, but it's no match for the Vita-Prep 3 (model 1005). I tested them both side-by-side and found the VP3 had more power. I wouldn't even use the Waring Stainless Steel carafe. The blades of the Waring are inferior to the Vita-Mix blades, and they are NOT interchangeable. Plus, you couldn't see the mix as it's blending if you went with stainless steel. Now that's important, because you need to see if more Water is needed. It is essential for the proper consistency. I'm always adding water to 'tweak' (or fine-tune) the mix.....WY

Date: March 28, 2008 02:13AM

Thanks for the advice!!

The plastic carafe is not an option for me, though. No matter what base I get, I'm definitely getting the stainless steel carafe.

So, should I still get the Vita-Prep 3? You said the Waring carafe would still work...

Thanks!!!

Date: March 28, 2008 02:32AM

If I had to have a stainless steel carafe, I'd just get the Waring Blender and forget about the Vita-Prep 3. I believe I saw it somewhere as a 'package' of Waring base with Stainless Steel carafe. That way you wouldn't have a Polycarbonate container collecting Dust. Let us know what you decide to do....WY

Date: March 28, 2008 05:24AM

I'd rather go with the best blender. I can give the poly carafe to a friend that has a Vita-Prep, so it wouldn't go to waste. Do you really think the Waring is the better option than the Vita-Prep 3 in this scenario?

Thanks!

Date: March 28, 2008 12:56PM

Libra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Do you really think the Waring is the better option
than the Vita-Prep 3 in this scenario?

Well, since you pinned me down, not really.
I Love my VP3 and couldn't live without it. I use the 48-
ounce Eastman Tritan Copolyester container and feel good
about it's safety.....WY

[www.eastman.com]

Date: March 29, 2008 04:20AM

Thanks!

Just to check, you are 100% sure the Waring carafe will work on the Vita-Prep 3??

Date: March 29, 2008 07:32AM

Libra Wrote:

> Just to check, you are 100% sure the Waring carafe
> will work on the Vita-Prep 3??

I'm sure. Send me the Bill if it doesn't.
But don't blame me if you're not happy with it. I tried....WY

Date: March 30, 2008 03:27AM

LOL.... why wouldn't I be happy with it. it sounds like the vita-prep 3 is the better machine from what you say smiling smiley

Date: March 30, 2008 03:58AM

Libra Wrote:
> LOL.... why wouldn't I be happy with it. it
> sounds like the vita-prep 3 is the better machine
> from what you say smiling smiley

Am I not making myself clear? I'm a country Boy
from Georgia. I wasn't talking about the blender. I know
you'll Love the VP3. It's the carafe I was talking about.
I don't think you'll like the stainless steel Waring.....WY

Date: March 30, 2008 11:22PM

I'll deal with the carafe. I'm going to go with the Vita-Prep 3 and the stainless steel Waring carafe. smiling smiley Thanks for your help.

Date: March 31, 2008 10:21AM

Libra Wrote:
> I'll deal with the carafe. I'm going to go with
> the Vita-Prep 3 and the stainless steel Waring
> carafe. smiling smiley Thanks for your help.

I hope that combo works for you. You might
consider using your Vita-Prep 3 Carafe for preparing
Liquid Compost. I use my 64-ounce container that way,
and also for preparing a fertilizer mix for my Wheatgrass.
I use a 48-ounce container for Green Smoothies.....WY

Posted by: flash ()
Date: March 31, 2008 09:48PM

If you have not ordered it yet, you may want to reconsider. Even though WY believes the Vita-Prep 3 to have more power than the Waring Xtreme, 12.5 amps(Vita-Mix: Vita-Prep3) is LESS power than 13 amps (Waring: MX1050XTS). And it costs less to buy the Waring blender with the SS carafe than to add the carafe to the VitaPrep 3.

Regards,

flash

Date: March 31, 2008 10:20PM

Flash - Have you used both? I'd be interested to hear your comments.

I'm most concerned with the end result. Which one appears to do it's job better, regardless of what the spec sheet says.

Thanks!

Date: March 31, 2008 11:14PM

flash Wrote:
> If you have not ordered it yet, you may want to
> reconsider. Even though WY believes the Vita-Prep
> 3 to have more power than the Waring Xtreme, 12.5
> amps(Vita-Mix: Vita-Prep3) is LESS power than 13
> amps (Waring: MX1050XTS). And it costs less to buy
> the Waring blender with the SS carafe than to add
> the carafe to the VitaPrep 3.

I've spent Thousands of dollars testing Juicers
and Blenders. I even bought 2 Waring 13 amp Blenders when the
first one I bought had less power than my 12.5 amp Vita-Prep 3.
The second one was the same as the first, a good Blender, but
inferior to the VP3. As Libra said, go by more than just the Spec Sheet....WY

Date: April 01, 2008 02:27AM

By the way, I even bought a Blendtec SpaceSaver 15amp that didn't have the power of my 12.5amp Vita-Prep 3. Don't go by amperage alone.....WY

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: April 01, 2008 03:09PM

As WY stated, the wattage, amperage, horse power ratings that are listed on the electric appliance only tell part of the story..

How the motor is constructed ie. the type of material that the windings are made from, the diameter of the wire windings, the grade of metal that the wire is made from, & the tightness of the windings all determine just how effective of an electromagnetic field that the electric motor will produce..

It is the maximum torque that a motor can produce that will determine how difficult the resistance that the motor is capable of over coming..Speed (rpm's) & horse power (wattage & amperage) WITHOUT torque makes for an under performing electric motor..As far as raw food blending tasks are concerned..

The electric motors in the Vita-Prep 3 have the ability to create more torque under the exact same operating conditions than either the Waring Xtreme or the K-Tec Blend Tec blenders are capable of..It's that simple..Regardless of what is printed on the box or machine..

My Vita-Prep 3 out performs the Blend Tec which I originally purchased & subsequently returned.. I purchased the Blend Tec because it cost less & on paper appeared to be a better blender..I already knew what a Vita-Mix blender was capable of before purchasing the Blend Tec..I was trying to save money..I didn't even consider the Waring Xtreme due to my professional experience with Waring's large capacity restaurant blenders, which I had been less than impressed with, performance & construction (design) wise..

I realize that WY has no formal or professional credentials regarding home appliance design or testing..Neither do I..And since virtually no one that reads his (or my) posts has in all likelihood met him personally & truly knows his character; a newcomer should probably be a little skeptical up front about taking his, mine, or anyone else's advice regarding an expensive purchase..But, both of us are only trying to give you advice that is the result of a lot of on-hands practical experience..Not marketing hype designed to sell appliances..I am a private individual with no ties to any appliance manufacturer..My advice comes from over 35 years of experience working with electric appliances in both home & professional kitchens..

As regards to the toxicity levels of the plastic carafes versus the stainless steel carafes, I can only say that for the present I an electing to go with the less toxic copolyester carafe from Eastman Tritan..

IMO, stainless steel will in time prove to have health issues..Currently, no one is performing or publishing any research on the possible health hazards of the various food-grade stainless steels in common use in our kitchens..Look at the list of ingredients that makes ordinary steel that is capable of rusting (oxidation) into a rust-resistant steel..The two most prevalent are chromium & cobalt..Both are toxic when not absorbed in minute quantities through plant sources..All I know is that when I scrub any stainless steel object, especially with one of those ubiquitous green plastic scrubbers, my brain DOES NOT like the smell that is produced as a result of that scrubbing..This is especially true over the past several years as I have been slowly transitioning to a raw state..My brain is trying to tell me something..I don't know how all this will play out in the greater scheme of things, but I am electing to listen to my subconscious brain whenever possible..Again, this is only my personal opinion..I have no data to back this opinion up..YMMV..

As WY has stated above, any blending task that requires attention to what is going on in the carafe is going to be substantially more difficult to perform in an opaque carafe..The possibility of over heating the blended mixture is going to rise exponentially, IMO..For me, in addition to my concerns over stainless steel, the drawbacks over not being able to observe what is happening in the carafe during the blending process; far outweigh any benefits that might be had with a stainless steel carafe over the newer copolyester carafes..

Every person is going to have to weigh the pros & cons, and make their choices accordingly..

Bruce

Date: April 01, 2008 03:43PM

Bruce. Thank you for your well thought out and extensive post. I appreciate it. I am going to get the Vita-Prep 3 with the SS carafe. If I don't like the carafe, I can still use the original Vita-Mix container that the blender will come with.

Thanks again.

Date: April 01, 2008 05:44PM

Libra Wrote:
> Bruce. Thank you for your well thought out and
> extensive post. I appreciate it. I am going to
> get the Vita-Prep 3 with the SS carafe. If I
> don't like the carafe, I can still use the
> original Vita-Mix container that the blender will
> come with.
>
> Thanks again.

You are welcome..Glad to be of service..

Bruce

Date: April 01, 2008 07:12PM

Ughh... It's $200 for the stainless steel carafe o.O

Date: April 01, 2008 09:42PM

Libra

Flash - Have you used both? I'd be interested to hear your comments.
I'm most concerned with the end result. Which one appears to do it's job better, regardless of what the spec sheet says.
I have not used both. I, too, am most concerned with the end results. The only objective demonstration I have seen was by Blind Guru on YouTube, called Pimp my Blender. He concludes the Waring MX1050XT with the Vita-Prep carafe as the best blender. However, this seems to be based mostly on the amount of induced air. That's an important consideration for me, but even more important is how well it breaks up the food. Blind Guru has another blending contest on YouTube about how well raspberry seeds are ground. That was most convincing for me.

I do have a BlendTec HP3. It induced too much air and did not grind up strawberry, raspberry, or kiwi seeds, so smoothies made with them were gritty. When I tried out the MX1050XT with strawberry and kiwi, it was quieter and looked like the food was not getting thrown about in the blender as much as with the HP3. It seemed to my senses that it was not as powerful. I had the dreadful feeling of having wasted $335 on an inferior blender. However, when I drank the smoothie, it was truly smooth with no detectable grit. That was a tremendous relief.

flash

Date: April 01, 2008 10:26PM

WY

I've spent Thousands of dollars testing Juicers
and Blenders. I even bought 2 Waring 13 amp Blenders when the
first one I bought had less power than my 12.5 amp Vita-Prep 3.
The second one was the same as the first, a good Blender, but
inferior to the VP3. As Libra said, go by more than just the Spec Sheet
By the way, I even bought a Blendtec SpaceSaver 15amp that didn't have the power of my 12.5amp Vita-Prep 3. Don't go by amperage alone.

Bruce

It is the maximum torque that a motor can produce that will determine how difficult the resistance that the motor is capable of over coming..Speed (rpm's) & horse power (wattage & amperage) WITHOUT torque makes for an under performing electric motor..As far as raw food blending tasks are concerned.
The electric motors in the Vita-Prep 3 have the ability to create more torque under the exact same operating conditions than either the Waring Xtreme or the K-Tec Blend Tec blenders are capable of..It's that simple..Regardless of what is printed on the box or machine.

Actually, horse power is determined by torque under load. A good explanation can be found in this article about power tools, called Amps vs. Horsepower. Here's the gist of the article.

To establish HP ratings for tools, most manufacturers attach the tool to a dynamometer. This device measures changes in motor speed and torque as an artificial load is applied to the tool by the dynamometer's brake until the motor stalls.

Peak HP is the top HP a motor can deliver for brief periods under a heavy load, such as when plowing through a dense knot in wood (or an avocado seed). At peak HP, the motor may draw over three times it's rated safe amperage, and after about 20 seconds, the motor will start to overheat. Continuous HP is the amount of HP a motor can deliver during continuous operation without overheating; in other words, when the tool is operating for hours at a time at it's rated safe amperage. Our blenders in question have peak HP listed in their manufacturer's information.

I'm curious as to how the two of you concluded that one blender was more powerful than the other. For example, did one break down greens to a microscopic level vs. small clumps left in the smoothie with another one? Were avocado seeds ground up to be coarser with the Waring vs. the Vita-Mix? I guess I'm asking for the results of the stuff in the blender after the blending session of one blender vs. the other.

Thanks,

flash

Date: April 01, 2008 10:28PM

Libra Wrote:
> Ughh... It's $200 for the stainless steel carafe

I'm trying to save you from making this mistake.
Years ago, Vita-Mix made a stainless steel container that I
bought and used many times. It was a 48-ounce. I didn't like
it because you couldn't see what was being Blended, nevermind
the Health issue......WY

Date: April 02, 2008 01:57AM

Libra:

WY is right on about the SS container. Not being able to afford a high-powered blender when I first started eating raw, I bought one that came with a SS carafe. It was horrible. I had to stop every few seconds to check out the progress. If it was after dark, I had to use a flashlight to see inside of it. The worst part was dropping the flashlight into the smoothie and shorting it out. Don't do it!

Regards,

flash

Date: April 02, 2008 04:00AM

Wow! The flashlight in the smoothie... Can you laugh about it now? smiling smiley

I'm just too skittish about BP-A, etc, so I'll learn to live with SS. Thanks for the warning, though.

Maybe I'll go back to the Waring... dunno... it would save me quite a bit of $ to just buy the Waring w/ SS. For the Vita-Prep w/ SS it would be $700.

Thanks for everyone's help! I just wish all this stuff weren't so darn pricey...

Date: April 02, 2008 04:59AM

flash

I based my determination as to whether or not to keep a particular blender based on the following criteria..

First, was it able to completely pulverize the tiny seeds of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, & other similar seeds into the base mixture WITHOUT needing to add ice in order to keep the mixture below 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit..This in all likelihood has as much to do with the design of the carafe's interior & the design of the carafe's blades; as it does with the maximum power output that the blender's motor is capable of..

Second, although I have subsequently decided NOT to incorporate avocado pits into my diet; I used the ease with which the blender was able to accomplish this task as a criteria..

Third, I judged each blender's ability to create a vortex under varying conditions using a wide array of foods that would commonly be made for a transitioning raw vegan's diet..Understanding that there will ALWAYS be circumstances where scraping down the sides of the carafe will be necessary..As Vita-Mix blenders are the ONLY ones (that I'm aware of) on the market with a tamper, this was a crucial point in my decision to purchase..

Forth, I am able to listen to an electric motor & determine with accuracy when it is struggling to do it's job..This is an ability that I have inherited from both sides of my family..It's just something that I take for granted..I listened to both the Vita-Prep 3 & the Blend Tec HP3 do a variety of raw blending tasks..I decided that they were both fairly equal when it came to easy to middling hard blending jobs..At the hard tasks however, I felt that the HP3 had to work a lot harder to make hummus, nut butters, chop avocado pits, etc..This is an entirely subjective determination on my part..As I stated above, I have no formal training in bench testing electrical appliances..Nor do I possess elaborate equipment to perform such tests..Just my eyes, ears, & hands coupled to my brain..

With the average price of the Vita-Prep 3 being approximately $475.00, & the average price of the Blend Tec HP3 being $350.00; it should be obvious to most people that the two machines MUST have different quality levels & or features in order to justify the $125.00 difference in their respective prices..Since both blenders are being manufactured by reputable companies, the price difference is NOT due to price gouging on Vita-Mix's part..

IMO, although both blenders appear on paper to be very similar & quite equal (the Blend Tec actually APPEARS to be better when it comes to raw specs); the Vita-Prep 3 has the better electric motor, the better blade design, & the better carafe design of the two blenders..Throw in the tamper for Vita-Mix, & I feel that there is no comparison..That's why the Vita-Prep 3 costs more, it's a better blender..

The raw community has been having this conversation ever since the Vita-Prep 3 was introduced..When introduced, the HP3 nudged out the Vita-Mix 5200..Vita-Mix responded with the Vita-Prep 3, & as far as I'm concerned it's the better blender..

IMO, the over riding reason that people keep asking the same question regarding the two blenders over & over & over, ad infinitum is because they are hoping that someone will tell them that the HP3 is the EXACT equal to the Vita-Prep 3; and therefore they can spend $350.00 & get $475.00 worth of blender..And they are simply not the exact same blenders..A fancy computer controlled, programmable electronic control panel cannot make up for a motor with lesser specs, a carafe & blade design that is not as efficient, & the lack of a tamper for when the going gets tough (and human beings being the creatures that we are,sooner or later, the going ALWAYS gets tough)..

Bruce

Date: April 02, 2008 04:14PM

Bruce:

Thanks for the response.

I did not think about that humming sound that an electric motor makes when operating under a load. There's also a smell that comes out when the motor is operating at or near its peak power rating. The first blender I bought was a Hamilton Beach Bar Boss and I heard and smelled that fairly often until I learned the proper sequence to add ingredients to my smoothies. Avocado pits came out like sawdust if I used enough water. Without the water, the pit just bounced around the container.

The HP3 that I bought next made the Bar Boss seem like a junior blender. It's motor was physically larger, but also much noisier. It did a pretty good job at most tasks, but left some gritty bits from berry seeds and noticeable green bits from all leafy greens. It was much better with the avocado pits, but still needed more water than I desired to get the desired consistency. The motor never smelled overloaded, but if I didn't put in the ingredients in the proper sequence, it would just spin sometimes. I finally made my own tamper out of a never used bar-b-q mop which helped a lot. I was having to stop the blending cycle and either shake the carafe to get the ingredients to fall into the blade or take off the lid and push the ingredients down.

Now that I have the Waring Xtreme, the HP3 looks like Pee Wee Herman compared to Rocky Balboa. The Xtreme motor is more than a third larger than the HP3. I have not yet heard the Xtreme motor under load, but I am going to try avocado pits tonight, so perhaps I'll hear it. It does just what I had hoped on berry seeds. It is noticeably better at creating a vortex and yet it introduces less air into the smoothies than the HP3. I have only had to remove the lid to push down carrot tops and that is only because I twisted the whole greens around in the carafe instead of breaking them up like I should have.

I saw the demonstration of the 2-hp Vita-Mix at Costco before I bought the HP3. I think those two blenders are near equals. I went with the HP3 because I was able to get it for $275 on ebay. I have not seen a Vita-Prep 3 except on Blind Guru's site. It looks similar in size to the Xtreme. If only you had not had such disappointing experience with Waring blenders in the past--we might have been able hear your opinion on the Xtreme vs. the Vita-Prep 3.

Oh, well. Anyway, thanks again for your response.

Regards,

flash

Date: April 03, 2008 12:19AM

As I sit here drinking my Green Smoothie, I'm reminded how Libra wanted a stainless steel Carafe. It's so important to 'see' how the mix is being blended in order to know whether to add more Water or not. If the mix moves too slow, it won't be blended properly. If it moves too fast, there's too much liquid. 'Just Right' is what we're after.
Vita-Mix Corporation has taken the initiative, with Eastman Chemical Co., to produce a safer Copolyester container, called Tritan. I use the 48-ounce model and am very pleased. I think Bruce uses one too......WY

[www.eastman.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables