Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's the point of juicing? (I'm ingnorant, please explain!)
Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 29, 2008 01:30PM

I nerver make myself some smoothies or fresh juices at morning...Even when i was non-raw, i never drank juice... I know there is a huge difference between regular juice and homemade fresh juice, but isnt better to eat the fruit or vegetable instead of juicing it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the point of juicing? (I'm ingnorant, please explain!)
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 29, 2008 02:19PM

mira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I know there is a huge difference between regular
juice and homemade fresh juice, but isnt better to
eat the fruit or vegetable instead of juicing it?

It's best to do both. Juice in the morning.
Eat in the afternoon. Dry Fast until the next morning, and
do it all over again. Continue until you see the person you
want to be in the mirror. But don't stop there....keep on
keeping on......WY

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 04, 2008 11:26PM

There is nothing to compare with real juice that hasn't been pasteurized and which doesn't have poor quality ingredients.

One juices for the concentrated nutrients. It's hard to chew a pound of carrots but easy to drink a pound. Very cool.

Also, some people just go for the taste. Of course, if you have the chewing power (I don't due to TMJ) and you want the fiber, go ahead and eat rather than swallow.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: April 05, 2008 04:27PM

Mira--I've been told that you should juice because fruits and veggies do not have the same nutrient levels as they did decades ago. This is attributed to nutrient-depleted soil, and harvesting when fruit/veggies are not ripe (and thus nutrionally inferior) in order to transport them thousands of miles for sale in your grocery store. In addition it is said that the nutrient value in a fruit or vegetable declines dramatically in the hours and days after being picked. So, the thinking goes that you would have to eat much more of a particular kind of fruit/veggie in order to get as much nutrtion as we used to be able to get long ago before modern large-scale farming practices "got in the way." Since some people would have a hard time eating as much as that would require, juicing is recommended as an easier way to get that optimum nutrition.

I see how that is true of conventionally grown produce, but I know that organic produce already has more nutrition locked inside because of the better soil it is grown in. However, even organic produce travels long distances to reach your grocery store, unless it is locally grown. If you grew your own fruits and veggies you would be even better off, since you could control your soil content and harvest your bounty when it was ripe and at the peak of its nutritional quality. Perhaps then the need for juicing would be greatly reduced. However some people who are very ill (for instance with cancer), benefit from lots and lots of juicing, because it for them it is pure nutrition that their body does not have to work hard at all to digest.

WY- I do not think what you said was stupid at all smiling smiley You speak from your experience and offer your advice like we all do.

musicbebe

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:13PM

musicbebe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> WY- I do not think what you said was stupid at all
> smiling smiley You speak from your experience and offer your
> advice like we all do.

Thanks. I didn't take that statement as being
Negative. After all, I was only talking to myself.....WY

"Choose what is Best and Habit will render it Agreeable
and Easy".....Pythagoras (582-500 B.C.)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:42PM

well, actually, carsick's SIGNATURE quote " You can't argue with stupidity" was NOT referring to Wheatgrass Yogi's statement

carsick's (smily face) was the response

he or she? puts that in ALL the responses as a SIGNATURE quote

and its true

u really can't argue with stupidity

or can you?

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: April 09, 2008 08:20PM

i didnt think the stupidity thing was aimed at yogi either....somthing else was going on with the overall thread etc.

so what?

juicing is good for your health.

juicin' john

Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: April 10, 2008 06:38AM

I recently got an email from Matt Monarch and it had this interesting article in it on juicing. Here's the link to the article if anyone is interested. [www.rawspirit.org]
Since getting this email I decided to do bit of juicing and have had excellent results these last couple of days. I've been following the 80-10-10 diet and eating whole foods blended in smoothies or eaten in salads but the addition of juices does make a difference. I have lots of energy after a juice and at the end of the day Im feeling more flexible and less lethargic. Goodluck! & hope you enjoy the read.

J.E.N

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:51AM

I argue with stupidity all day long.

smiling smiley

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:28AM

Haha, yes I said that to WY because I thought he'd been insulted. Sorry, I didn't realize that was part of carsick8's signature. In his post he quoted WY and then all I saw was a ":-0" and the stupity statement. So being new to this site and not seeing previous posts of carsick's, I took that they were both directed at WY's quote.

You can't argue with stupidity and no one bothers to argue with me...hmmm...maybe those two ideas are related winking smiley

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: April 26, 2008 06:47PM

Yallllllllllll Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the good info. and the entertainment.

Keep it Simple.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 28, 2008 07:27AM

carsick

yer so right

i AM an animal

watch how i glug down this quart of greenies

glug glug glug glug slurp glug slurp

wiping the green from my lips with the back of my wrist

i'm an animal

i'm an animal

hee heee smiling smiley

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:23AM

That article on juicing was exactly what I need to know. I've been juicing daily but not nearly enough. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: alwaysbelieve1 ()
Date: May 25, 2008 07:17PM

This(or a version of this) is what I make every morning and I have a question about it:

Super Breakfast Smoothie:
1. 1.5-2 cups of water(do not add juice due to the sugar or milk due to the calories)
2. 1 tblspn of Barlean's or Udo's Choice Flaxseed Oil(sold at Whole Foods or Sprout's)
3. 1/2 stalk of Kale or Chard
4. A very, very small handful of Baby Spinach
5. 1/4 of a Grapefruit or Orange(due to the sugars be sure to not put more than advised, but this makes the shake taste great!)
6. 1 serving of Udo's Choice: Wholesome Fast Food (powder with a whole lot of organic greens, enzymes, phytonutrients, and more)

Blend very, very well for about 1 minute to make everything into fine pieces. This drink will keep your blood sugar low in the morning which in turn keeps insulin levels low. When insulin is high- like right after eating sugary or high glycemic index carbs- you store fat.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: I never juice because I would like to get the fruit/veggie in it's entirety. I thought that by blending the entire produce together and then drinking it(because it's faster and easier than wasting time to sit and eat) one would get the entire health benefit such as nutrients AND fiber. My thinking on simply juicing would seem to neglect the fiber portion due to the bulk or pulp being left out. If nature intended us to merely drink the juice then that's the form it would grow in; however I fell the produce should be eaten or kept(even if blended) in its whole(every aspect of it) state. That's what my belief of the concept was.
1. If I blend will the produce become degraded or oxidized due to the metal blades?
2. If I do blend everything together will I miss out on any benefit because the fiber is finely ground or will the molecules still serve their purpose?

I'm really confused to what I should do. I eat according to the Warrior Diet and so during the day I "Undereat" to turn on the Sympathetic Nervous System(SNS) and "Overeat" at night to turn on the Parasympathetic Nervous System(PSNS). I have experienced phenomenal results over the past 4 or 5 months since I have switched to this lifestyle, but only want the best.

I meshed the thinking behind the 3 books: In Defense of Food(by Michael Pollan), The Warrior Diet(by Ori Hofmekler), and The Anti-Estrogenic Diet(by Ori Hofmekler). I really love their philosophies and so far feel incredible since eating better. I have never had a weight problem or even health problem as I have always kept myself in superb shape and done my best to always eat well, but this is the best I have ever felt. I only desire to continue this and continue to improve. That is the exact reason why I am posting here. I seek advice and good information to help me progress my journey of a healthy lifestyle.

Thanks,

Bob Garon

P.S. For more about how I eat I have a blog here: [bobgarontraining.blogspot.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 27, 2008 12:31AM

1. If I blend will the produce become degraded or oxidized due to the metal blades?

Yes, every molecule that touches the blade will be damage. But this is still only a tiny fraction of all the molecules present.

2. If I do blend everything together will I miss out on any benefit because the fiber is finely ground or will the molecules still serve their purpose?

We discussed this via PM, for those who didn't know, there is some breakdown in the fiber and less benefit. But greater uptake of everything else probably. However you do need the fiber for max health. If you juice and blend it's still a good idea to keep whole f+v in your diet for the fiber--a big veg salad plus a few pieces of fruit should do it, if you are also having a large smoothie and a big glass of juice daily.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2008 03:01AM

I think i'll give it a go... The basic premise of juicing is that it is more efficient. Many decades ago, it was discovered that only about 30% of what we eat is absorbed. Nutrients in juices are 92-100% absorbed. Now, the best juicer is the Norwalk(there is no perfect juicer, btw). The Norwalk will yield ~70% juice(for carrots). So if we are healhy(absorb 100%), we get ~233% more nutrition from juice over food.

What about fiber? Most people dont realize there is SOLUBLE fiber in juice. This fiber still caused bms. Juices wont constipate, as i have heard before. I wouldnt advise long term juice diet.

IMO, fiber is way too overated(key word-OVERated). Certain fiber can and will irritate the gut. The Masai in Africa live on blood, meat and milk and are far healthier than "civilized" society.

Poster Life101 above hits another nail on the head, easier to drink than eat a pound of veggies. Whether you think its worth the effort to juice or not, it is a personal choice, but juices will not do harm(in moderation) and as Walker and Max Gerson showed, it might just do some good.

FWIW,
Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables