Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

When did honey become vegan?
Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: July 20, 2008 05:00AM

Did I miss that day? There are so many recipes on here with honey as an ingredient! WTF? What happened to dates?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When did honey become vegan?
Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 22, 2008 03:13PM

I KNOW!! Honey comes from a bee dude!! I haven't eaten it since I became vegan and don't plan on it in the futuuree

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: July 23, 2008 09:32PM

mmmmmm honey.

peace-

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: July 24, 2008 04:11PM

It's a shame to see someone into raw food and then eat something like honey- a bee's food. sad smiley It's sad what happens to them. Honey is also as bad for you as regular white sugar!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 24, 2008 05:17PM

It is not vegan.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 25, 2008 02:31PM

It's a vegan forum, but I'm sure they don't go through every recipe with a fine tooth comb or anything! LOL. In any event, each individual CAN choose to omit the honey and substitute something else......or avoid the recipe....if so desired.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 05, 2008 10:05PM

I know that honey is not vegan, but there are health benefits to eating it. I imagine some people may be more willing to try honey than agave which they may not be familiar with. I have seen honey in a lot of raw vegan recipe books, and I am now of the mindset that honey is one thing that many vegans are willing to make an exception on, be it for health benefits, taste, familiarity, etc. I believe that organic honey from a reputable source is not all that bad! Organic bee farms are thriving, and non organic hives are in trouble, that gives me reason to believe that organic bees are not having excessive amounts of their food (honey) stolen from them.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 11, 2008 02:58PM

But the bees do all that work and then their food is stolen from them and then they have to live on sugar water all winter. Agave is almost the same as honey as far as using it in recipes.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 17, 2008 03:08AM

Honey is not vegan. But it is also not chemically like sugar, iLIVE. Too much chemistry to go into[sigh] . . .

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:51AM

I just sub honey in recipes for other sweeteners.

Honey is not vegan. I kinda get tired of stating that but mostly just shut up because I don't want to sound militant, which is probably why so many think it is because we don't say anything.

Look up the definition of the word 'vegan' as coined by Donald Watson. Donald himself categorically stated that honey is not vegan. The person who coined the word states it very clearly.

Upon saying that, I don't think honey is as bad as other animal products. But I choose not to deprive the bees of their hard earned honey, and make them eat sugar water over the winter. Like it or not, this practice is also used on organic honey farms.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 18, 2008 09:45PM

i hate sounding like a broken record about it too .. and true perhaps there is a hanfull of really gentle bee keepers out there .. but still the moment that hive gets broken into the bees are in a state of agitation so really there is no *kind* way to get the honey ... i have friends who raise a dairy cow or goat or free range chickens these animals are treated like pets with much love but it still doesnt make their products vegan or acceptable by vegans either ,so im not sure why honey seems to be the sticky point lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: December 31, 2008 03:52PM

I very rarely consume it and then only if it was added to something I purchased. While it does have some health benefits, it still has many of the same negative affects as sugar. I didn't experience anything negative with agave and in fact, have gotten rid of candida while using it. Though I try not to use it as much as I use to. For those that have no type of illness, a true raw honey may be fine. Many other fruit-related alternatives though.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:35PM

I would not call myself a raw vegetarian because I eat really raw honey maybe once in a few months.

Actually I shouldn't call myself anything. I should just say I "eat healthy".

Date: January 02, 2009 10:10PM

thats probably a good idea suvine .. labeling yourself is well .. just labeling yourself lol smiling smiley

who needs labels !

Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:09AM

But i would like to *stick* a point here...Honey may not be vegan, but agave is certainly not raw, for sure.

Posted by: Choco ()
Date: January 04, 2009 04:14PM

nt

Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 06, 2009 02:17AM

why? You just can't make syrup without boiling the sugar, it's impossible.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 14, 2009 04:47PM

This is Living and Raw Foods support right? Not just Vegan Raw support. Honey is Raw so that would be why it is listed in the recipes. I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd chime in.

If you pick up a Vegan cookbook from the 80's or 90's honey is listed as an ingredient with a side note that some vegans don't eat it because of the hurt to the bees issue.

In Carol Alt's books she talks about using honey and tells vegans to use Agave Nectar -- but Agave nectar isn't Raw.

But what about all those poor Cactus that have to die for their nectar? Do you know how long a cactus can live? Hundreds and hundreds of years. And all those birds and animals that can't benefit from the nectar? I don't know, I think somewhere along the line there is some sacrifice involved.

Date: January 14, 2009 07:16PM

not all honey is raw , unlessyou know a beekeeper and get it direct, the bulk of honey in stores is pasturized by law

when we start to compare plants *feelings* to living animals then the discussion starts to get silly

of course we draw the line somewhere .. and yes there is some sacrifice

Date: January 17, 2009 06:38AM

Madhava Honey, based out of Boulder, CO, is raw. You have to check your sources, as with everything, most honey is pasturized, but their honey is not.

Also, Madhava's standard agave nectar is processed at low temperatures (140), but still enough to loose the "raw" label. They do, however, offer a RAW agave nectar- it is very similar to the Light agave nectar, and it is wonderful (It is processed at no higher than 113 degrees). So, there are options for raw agave.

If you are interested in purchasing the agave or honey, I offer Madhava products at my store. Also, a very informative FAQ for those wanting to learn more about agave is [www.madhavasagave.com]

Hannah
www.naturalchoicesforliving.com

Date: January 24, 2009 09:44PM

I like the agave nectar for recipes otherwise I use Stevia.

Posted by: herbalgerbals ()
Date: April 06, 2009 05:35AM

There will always be sacrifice.

Think about the earth that is sacrificed and the animals kicked off the land so you can live in a home and type on a computer. etc. etc. etc.

Date: April 15, 2009 09:50PM

I think something at issue here--and it pertains to non-raw veggies/vegan issues as well, is that there is no name or label (for better or worse) that defines someone who eats a diet devoid of all animal foods EXCEPT honey. I do eat honey on occasion (about once a month or less), but I am closer to a vegan diet than an ovo-lacto or omnivore, so vegan is the best term to describe me. I'd really like there to be a term or label for someone who eats honey but no other animal products (or what about someone who has a vegan DIET but wears leather or wool?).

Here's a thought, as totally silly and even stupid as it is: how about the word BEEGAN.

Yeah... never mind; sounds just TOO silly.... But I still do believe that the veggie/vegan world needs some new terms.

Date: April 16, 2009 01:31AM

the beegan label is already in widespread use winking smiley but i guess that would define you if you really need to have a label smiling smiley

better yet drop the labels and just be the best you can be smiling smiley or bee (lol !)

Date: April 16, 2009 06:51AM

Jodi you are awesome! Thank you; you know, I have never heard the "beegan" term before but I can't imagine why; its so totally OBVIOUS! And I'm with you, I'm not big into labels; I guess its just in the veggie/vegan world you have the "vegan police" come after you if you do eat honey on occasion or, God forbid, wear and old wool scarf or something, so I'm always trying to be careful what I say and who I say it too.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm going to take your advice and just "bee." grinning smiley

Date: April 16, 2009 02:43PM

hehe i hear ya smiling smiley

some time ago i was researching agave and read that some parts of the southwest the wild agave is under protection from over harvesting it is becoming so rare ..well can you imagine what wiping out a whole plant speices can do to upset the balance of the other speices that rely on it ..

sometimes being animal friendly doesnt always mean eco friendly winking smiley

i think its just as important to know as much about your food source ..whatever it is and then make you decisions about it smiling smiley

Posted by: HealthNVitality ()
Date: April 19, 2009 02:11PM

Good points, Jodi.
It is important to keep things in perspective and to remember your purpose.
Ecology should never be sacrificed for short-term profit.

If you post a reply to this message and would like my feedback, it would be best to send me a private message to that effect. Otherwise, I may not check this thread for a while.

***Info from the advisors at HealthNVitality***

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables