Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

? what is the best way to keep ginger root fresh
Posted by: MARBLEFOX ()
Date: August 12, 2008 01:38PM

Hello Forum Family, Any suggestions. My ginger root spoils,softens long before I can use it up. It comes as a 'bag of ginger root'at my store... tons of the stuff.
Rachel Ray on TV suggested cutting it up in chunks and putting it in the freezer. I tried that and when I went to use it and it thawed out it was mushy, spongy and very juicy (you could actually squeeze it like a lemon)???

Also, when putting pineapple in a blender do you cut out the tough core? and how much of the outer skin is safe? I usually slice the skin off only leaving bits of the brown little bumpy things...

Thanks for any help you can provide....Sue

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ? what is the best way to keep ginger root fresh
Posted by: klandestine ()
Date: August 13, 2008 04:02AM

For the ginger root, I keep it wrapped in a damp cloth in the fridge. Seems to do the trick. Maybe you could share some of the ginger root with friends so that you don't have so much and someone else can buy it next time? Just a suggestion.

I always cut the core out of the pineapple before I blend it - too hard for my blender.

Hope this is helpful!

Posted by: MARBLEFOX ()
Date: August 13, 2008 02:12PM

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I do share my produce with my neighbor but the ginger root is just a lot to use either way. Thanks again I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions... whoo hoo! Sue

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 18, 2008 05:05AM

For the pineapple, I use the core, because I have a high speed blender, and it can take it (o:
As to the little brown bumpy things, some people get sores in their mouths from the acidity of unripe pineapples, the brown bumps may also cause sores. If you don't have that problem don't worry about them, if you do have that problem, try to cut all the brown bumps out. Also, if you cut the pineapple top off, then turn upside down on a plate overnight, it becomes less acidic, and less likely to cause a reaction in those who are bothered by pineapples.

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: August 23, 2008 05:50AM

I have no idea how "eco-friendly" this is: but I use "green bags" my mother sent me for the stuff I know I won't eat within 3 days. Keeps ginger fresh for at least 2 weeks.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 04, 2008 03:38PM

Freeze your ginger. It is very easily grated for recipes when it is frozen and it keeps for months. I got this I dea from Nomi Shannon. Thanks Nomi!

Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: September 06, 2008 01:21AM

Hi,

Put it in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid, and fill the jar with dry sherry (aka "fino"winking smiley so that the pieces of ginger are covered. Keep the jar in the fridge; the ginger will keep for a year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables