Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw chocolate nibs
Posted by: lorddimples ()
Date: August 22, 2008 12:41PM

Any ideas on how to break raw chocolate nibs down for smoothies I don't have a vitamix so the nibs don't break down on the blender I have.

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw chocolate nibs
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2008 01:56PM

lorddimples,
I'm not familiar with the chocolate nibs, but I have the same problem with using nuts for smoothies. I have a standard kitchen blender and it doesn't do the job! What I have done is put the nuts through the food processor first with the "S" blade and let them process until they are nearly dust, then add them to liquid in my blender. Works out pretty well!

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: August 22, 2008 10:52PM

Nuts and cacao can be made into powder in a coffee grinder (they cost about $10). Works great!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: lorddimples ()
Date: August 23, 2008 03:07AM

Yep
pulled out the ol' coffee grinder.

now I have raw chocolate & goji berry powder for when the occasion arises.
thanks

Date: October 09, 2008 07:51PM

They're quite tasty when not completely broken down, too. I like to make a 'chocolate chip cookie dough', with tahini, honey, cocoa nibs, and a little vanilla. They also make a tasty trail mix, when mixed with stuff like goji berries, dehydrated coconut shavings, and cashews.

Posted by: Wies0087 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 08:54PM

Hi, I happened upon this thread, and I was wondering if grinding cocoa nibs in a vitamix is more effective than using a coffee grinder. When I grind them in a coffee grinder and then put the powder in a smoothie or nut milk, it's still very gritty. I don't mind much, but I was just wondering if a vitamix would make it more of a fine powder. I don't have one, but does anyone know? thank you!
-Lisa

Date: January 15, 2009 08:08PM

I have a Vita-Mix. I have never ground nibs by themselves; I just toss them in with whatever other ingredients I am using for my drink. Maybe I don't blend for long enough, but there is a slight texture to the nibs in my drinks. I enjoy it, but it is possible that by belnding it longer, the result will be smoother.

Date: January 17, 2009 06:19AM

I like to manually crush them a bit with a motar and pestle and add, along with goji berries, to my salad. I do not particularly care for "gritty" smoothies, and my current blender doesn't get the pieces fine enough. (A vita-mix is on my wishlist!) Not that that answers your question, but it is another way to get the benefits of the raw cacoa.

Hannah

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables