Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Halloween trick or treat candy!
Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: August 25, 2008 03:15PM

Anyone have any good recipies for making candy to give away on Halloween? So far I've come up with chocolate/blond macaroons and some type of goji/chocolate nut bar.Even something already packaged but not very expensive would do I suppose.Thanks!

JEN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Halloween trick or treat candy!
Posted by: Choco ()
Date: August 27, 2008 02:21AM

Hi Jen.

On Halloween we pass out the more exciting chocolate flavors of the Lara Bars to the children in our neighborhood where I live. Trader Joe's sells Lara Bars at good prices. You could also find the regular Lara Bar flavors in bulk from Costco. And we also buy fruit leather from Trader Joe's to give out, and 100% pure fruit leather from the Stretch Island company which comes in cool flavors like grape, cherry, mango and strawberry-pomegranate. While these are not "candy" like the Hershey stuff or 100% raw, it's healthy, fun, yummy, and I feel better for giving it. winking smiley

As far as making your own candy, you could just fiddle around with mixing melted cacao nibs, agave and melted coconut oil with a little vanilla bean or vanilla extract and pour the mixture into chocolate molds and chill until firm. You could also add a little orange oil before pouring for a chocolate-orange flavor. And if you have anyone allergic or avoiding cacao/chocolate, I have successfully made "chocolate" with carob powder too. I've used both raw carob and the lightly roasted carob (roasted has a bit more "chocolatey" flavor).

Though just an fyi, some moms ( esp. in my area..) are quite concerned about their children accepting unwrapped homemade products at Halloween trick-or-treats, so you might want to save your goodies for the grown-ups or your holiday party.

PEACE
Choco

Posted by: rubyjewel ()
Date: August 27, 2008 10:09AM

Thank you!! While it sounds so much more fun to make my own treats and wrap them up in cute little wrappers your right, I reamember always being told as a kid 'it's safe only to eat what's in a wrapper'. So lara bars it is and possibly fruit leather. Trader Joes is actually somewhere I can get too, excellent advice smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 28, 2008 02:39AM

This is my first post so bare with me if I don't do it right! yawning smiley) I'm new to the idea of Raw and am just looking for healthier ways for my family to eat. I personally wouldn't let my child eat a "homemade" treat - just FYI but I think it's great that you'd like to do that! If only more people were like that in the world!?! yawning smiley) We don't usually get more than 20 kids for Halloween so I give out nice non-food things (since they get enough candy)! Things like cute Disney character pencils and sticker sheets. Things like that- usually I can find them at the dollar/general store. Hope that gives you some ideas. yawning smiley) Happy Early Halloween!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 30, 2008 02:24PM

if u make anything home made
no one will eat it
because they won't trust it

when i was a kid
my mom wouldn't let us eat anything unless it was wrapped
no apples either

Posted by: ohitsclaire ()
Date: August 31, 2008 12:21AM

fruit leather would be cute.

even little snack boxes of raisins...?

i can't say i'd promote making your own things... no one would let their children eat them, and you'd be out time and money there.

c

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: October 02, 2008 06:07PM

Fruit leather or raisins or dollar store treats sounds great!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: stylestacey ()
Date: October 16, 2008 09:38PM

what about candy just to have around the house for yourself or if friends come over? I would still love a recipe or two smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables