Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Buying online, foods to freeze- basic questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 07, 2008 05:27AM

Hi,

i just joined and i've got some questions.

1. Where is the best place online to buy nuts/seeds/ dried fruit online in bulk (cheap, organic, fair-trade- impossible???)

2. What are some good recipes that freeze well? (Snacks, meals, sides... ect)

Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying online, foods to freeze- basic questions
Posted by: Choco ()
Date: September 08, 2008 05:29PM

a) Online (and by snail mail catalog), "Living Tree Natural Foods" has wonderful raw food organic products. So does "Sun Organic Farm". I trust these two sources for the purity of their products and their really sweet, raw-food lovin' customer service.

b) Very few if any raw food dishes freeze "well".
The high water content in most fresh fruits and vegetables doesn't really lend itself to freezing. Nut pates and veggie dishes form ice crystals when frozen and turn into soggy wet mush when defrosted. I am sure you could experiment on your own and see for yourself if you are feeling creative. winking smiley
That being said, most raw deserts freeze very, very well and will keep in your freezer for at least a week without spoiling, possibly even longer. So if you are hunkering for raw cheezecake, chocolate brownies, torte balls, raw cookies, etc., etc., and want to make a batch to eat in the future, desserts are your best bet for coming up with a satisfactory product when defrosted. I personally have been known to eat raw cheezecake straight from the freezer too. winking smiley

As a rule of thumb in my kitchen, recipes with a high fat content ( coconut oil, cashews..) + very minimal water content make for good freezing material.

PEACE
Choco

Posted by: Quest for Peace ()
Date: September 09, 2008 05:38PM

Hi Gemmer -

I have found Raw From the Farm to have great quality, consciencious customer service, great prices, and good environmental practices. They are also raw foodists and are very detailed regarding the quality of their products.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:19PM

gemmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 2. What are some good recipes that freeze well?
> (Snacks, meals, sides... ect)

You may want to also consider freezing individual ingredients in your recipes until ready for it. For example freeze peeled bananas, strawberries separately, then to make ice cream, using a Champion juices with the blank you could make strawberry/banana icecream, or a strawberry smoothie flavored with dates and cloves or ginger.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 07, 2008 05:42PM

Sun Organic Farms has great stuff to buy individually, drhanna.org has fantastic food cream recipes that can be stored for months at a time and premade combinations of raw seeds, nuts and fibers. The best way to get proper nutrition is though food combinations, not individual products. To eat raw and be truly healthy you need to get the nutrients from the foods - they need to be ground or shredded to release the enzymes and make it easy for the nutrients to be digested and used by our cells without toxicity. Raw veggies can sit in our stomach long enough to spoil and release toxins into our bloodstream, shedding and making creams eliminates this and the nutrients go directly into our bloodstream and feed us at the cellular level. The same with proteins - vegetable seeds and almonds must be ground (not powdered) to get the maximum nutrients and allow them to penetrate the cellular wall and rebuild their function. Check out drhanna.org to get some amazing info. Hope that helps!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2008 07:34PM

MR.brown i went to that website you post and there is no reciepies listed there to follow as you are leading me to believe in your above post

either please share and post the recipie

or

make it clear that it is a sales site that is selling the recipies and other things

thank you , i hate being misdirected to sites as im sure many folks are

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables