Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Winter Squash Pie
Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 10, 2008 12:47AM

Our farm share has given us acorn squash for the past few weeks, and finally i braved a recipe. i was very sceptical (as was my hubby), but i made it and served it to non-raw friends and people took seconds. i only had dates and figs, otherwise i would have used dates in the crust, but the crust was really nice. i didn't buy any ingredients, but made the pie based on what i needed to use.

--Filling--
1 acorn squash -peeled and cored
10-12 medjool dates
sprinkle of desired spices- or none- has an apply flavor, very nice plain. i added a slight touch of ginger and cinnamon. cloves, allspice and nutmeg would be nice

--Crust--
3/4 cup figs
1/4 cup walnuts
handful hazelnuts
handful dehydrated coconut

process squash and dates in juicer or food processor until applesauce textured (twice through my Omega) then mix in spices as desired. set aside.

process all crust ingredients until they make a dough ball. press into a pie-pan and spread evenly. pour filling in and refridgerate. freeze for 20-30 minutes before serving to harden the crust and allow for proper presentation.

peace-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winter Squash Pie
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: September 12, 2008 11:01PM

Thanks. Sounds yummy and simple, except for peeling the squash. Do you have a trick for that?

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: September 13, 2008 02:01AM

i peeled the outer lumps first, then cut the squash along the creases, and then peeled the creases.
cut off top and little tail, peeled what came off easily, cut, and peeled again. labor intensive, but how often do we make pies? easier than pie crust.winking smiley

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 01, 2008 05:59PM

I just saw your post after I posted about peeling question too. Maybe we can new tricks from other posters at my link. Hard squash it starts out as....from today...

I have several Hubbard squashes too....I can get lots of Butternut from local market.

carolg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables