Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic Food Budgeting
Posted by: AshleyMartin ()
Date: September 11, 2008 12:34AM

Science is proving that organic foods are healthier for you and contain higher counts of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. Organic products typically cost 10 to 40% more than similar conventionally produced products. This means that you have to economize in other areas.

First, eliminate all junk food and addictive substances, both of which are very expensive.

Second, stop eating out, and learn to cook at home.

Third, compare the cost and quality of produce at health food stores, farmers' markets, and cooperatives.

Try to meet local organic farmers, because they can provide you with fresh, inexpensive produce and advice about home gardens and composting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic Food Budgeting
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 17, 2008 06:27PM

I'm not totally raw yet. But I have noticed that, contrary to what I have heard on this and other sites I'm actually spending less on my food budget. I was spending $130-$190 per week on food. Now I spend between $20-$80 per week. Keep in mind I'm not totally raw, my husband decided to "wait and see" so he has not made any raw commitments yet, but we are still spending far less.

Some of the produce that I buy is actually far less than the "conventional" irradiated, pesticide laden counterparts are actually cheaper than the in season organic, local produce. This may be due to the fact that non organic produce is often shipped for several miles to reach it's destination, uses a ton of pesticides, is irradiated (who thought that was a good idea anyway?) and is often stored for several months before arriving at the supermarket. Transportation, pesticides, irradiation, and storage cost money, and the cost is rising everyday.

Ula

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 21, 2008 03:53AM

I don't know why everyone says farmer's markets are cheaper. Everyone I've gone to is more expensive than Whole Foods. The local Co-Op is NO cheaper..infact costs me more when you factor in that it costs about $5 of gas for a trip there.

Stop eating out and learn to cook? Uhh.... This is a RAW FOOD forum....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2008 03:53AM by LikeItOrNot.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: September 29, 2008 01:07AM

There are raw restaurants out there in certain places, not to mention salads. Some people like to eat out. If there was a raw cafe here I would definately try it on occassion. :-)

Learning to "cook" means learning to prepare (that's how I took it).

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 07, 2008 05:31PM

To eat raw you need to have special combinations of foods that can take a long time to prepare, drhanna.org (Dr. Hanna Karwacka) has food and vegetable cream recipes that can be prepared months in advance and save a ton of money. Take a few hours to prepare every couple months and you will have great nutrition with ra veggies that are easy to digest.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 07, 2008 08:02PM

MrBrown you are overgeneralizing and perhaps these things you say are true for you, but they are not what alot of people here believe

you do not need to take a long time to prepare foods for eating raw

and something prepared months in advance is not gonna be as optimal in nutrition as something fresh

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables