Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help deciding on a dehydrator
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2008 07:18PM

Hello!

I'm new to this posting thing, so I hope I've chosen the right forum. Apologies if I'm wrong. Anyway, I've recently begun a (mostly) raw food diet and am loving it.

I'm happy on mostly salads and smoothies, but am coveting many recipes that call for a dehydrator. I've read the Excalibur is the way to go. I'd like any input from people who dehydrate frequently.

Main questions:
*Is the Excalibur really worth the extra money?
*Is it Ok to have the 4 drawer or the 5 drawer?
*Or is the 9 drawer really that much better?
*I've heard the 9 drawer is rather noisy. Is that the case? (I don't have anywhere but my kitchen to use it.)
*Are there any other questions I should ask? smiling smiley

I plan to make crackers and 'bread' with it, also dehydrate nuts and fruits.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help deciding on a dehydrator
Posted by: Choco ()
Date: September 15, 2008 10:48PM

To me, the Excalibur is 100% worth the extra money.
And you would definately want to go with the 5 or 9 tray only.

Depending on how large your family is and how often you need to make large batches of dehydrated food, you'll decide on either a 9 or 5 tray. I own a 9 tray and never used all 9 trays at the same time. If I could choose again I would purchase a 5 tray due to my eating habits and my space needs. The 9 tray is very large and takes up height. the 5 tray is exactly the same width but shorter and less bulky looking than the 9 tray.

The 9 tray makes lots of noise, yes, but the 5 tray makes lots of noise too. Whether the 5 tray makes as much noise as the 9 tray I don't know, but since the motor is the same in both machines I imagine it's going to sound similar. You do get used to the sound and it becomes the comforting drone of a machine that's about to deliver yummy edible treats, so its not really that bad. winking smiley

If you have the kitchen counter space, a large family, a few extra dollars saved up, the thought that you might like to make lots of dried foods on a bulk basis, and/or start a start-up raw foods buisness, the 9 tray is best.

If you have kitchen space constraints, a smaller appetite, small family, are simply looking to supplement dried food to your mostly fresh salad/smoothie diet rather than eat or sell lots of dehydrated food, the 5 tray should be perfect for your needs.

Hope this helps.

PEACE.
Choco

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 26, 2008 08:32PM

Get the Excalibur!!!! I love it! I don't always use all 9 trays but it's there when I need it smiling smiley.

I got mine off Craigslist, barely used for about $140 with all the teleflex sheets. Try there for Ebay if you're looking to save a few bucks....but make sure it has all the sheet because they can get pricey if you're missing some.

Enjoy!

Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 01, 2008 05:52PM

excalibur 9 tray with sheets I love for years now too. Worth the extra $ when you have a large stash of something you want to make or dehydrate like making fruit rolls up. Saves time and energy to me in the long run. About 10 years ago bought and spent over $200 new at that time. No complaints since.

Now I have an LeEquip food dehydrator too which was called something else so have to think about selling this one as my Excalibur is all I really new....bought local and looks to be in great condition...with a one time use....amazing what people sell today....

carolg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2008 05:55PM by carolg.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: October 02, 2008 05:44PM

Haha! I spent nearly $500 on my 9 tray with sheets, and shipping to Canada!
And it was worth every penny.

Definitely get the 5 or 9 tray.... depending on how much 'cooking' you intend to do!

Sometimes if you have cravings, it can sure help to mimic cooked food. Also a great way to introduce others to raw foods!

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: January 24, 2009 09:54PM

Do any of you have te Excalibur model with the timer? Does that work pretty slick or do you not use that function?

Posted by: Aviva ()
Date: January 27, 2009 02:03PM

Quick question:

I've been thinking about getting a dehydrator too but I wanted to know if with dehydrated food, there isn't a tendancy to over-eat, like there is with cooked food? Just the idea of crackers and breads makes me feel all nibbly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables