Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hard squash-how do I peel? Use?
Posted by: carolg ()
Date: October 01, 2008 05:57PM

Got hubbard squash. It is like a brick. Got any raw suggestions on peeling. The food processor S blade would take a toll on it and truthfully can't even cut to put in. I know all about cooked, but trying to figure this raw thing out for HARD squashes.

I know pies would be nice to make or even burgers, but first have to get the "brick" cut up.

Thanks for sharing peeling TRICKS and use tips.

carolg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hard squash-how do I peel? Use?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 21, 2008 12:51AM

I've prepared the variety "blue hubbard" before, but never uncooked till today.. this one was round and a little smaller than a bowling ball.. I cut off the bottom and top, then set it on the cutting board like a vase.. then cut down thru it with a long serrated knife with a rocking motion using my left palm as well to help get thru it (it's tough!), then cut the halves into wedges.

The first batch I fed thru my centrifigal juicer peel, seeds and all.. which went fine till the last little bits of wedges jammed the unit, which has happened many times before with various hard vegs.... on the next batch I peeled the wedges and held back the pusher at the last second to avoid another jam.. it worked!

I juiced some cranberries and wished I had some coconut to grind up to add. When mixing the juices and pulps back together I found the peeled squash more appealing (no pun intended)..

So that's it.. I use my juicer more like a grinder with these tough vegs, then mix whatever juice there is back into the pulp.... more or less.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables