Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I'm nixing salt, garlic, onions, oil & herbs
Posted by: stylestacey ()
Date: February 15, 2009 11:15PM

It is going to be tough, and I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas on good replacements for each while making recipes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm nixing salt, garlic, onions, oil & herbs
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 17, 2009 08:24PM

Salt replacement: celery, sundried tomatoes (unsalted)
Oil: grind seeds or nuts in a coffee grinder. I like hemp seeds

Herbs: I find cilantro as a mild herb. Also celery.

Posted by: mrgreen ()
Date: February 19, 2009 02:15PM

stylestacey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I'm nixing salt, garlic, onions, oil & herbs
> It is going to be tough, and I would really
> appreciate if anyone has any ideas on good
> replacements for each while making recipes.

I can understand getting rid of the salt and possibly the oil. But I am not familier w/ the benefits of getting rid of garlic, onions or herbs. Is it just a preference of yours? They have been a staple in my diet. A salad w/ Garlic and Red Onions - instead of some dead salad dressing is so good...
Thank You.

"If you're not tough it's hard to survive in this world; and if you're not kind then you don't deserve to survive." –Raymond Chandler

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: February 20, 2009 04:26PM

hey mrgreen ... garlic, onions, pepper, herbs ... alot of this stuff is very stimulating , and when you start to refine your diet , lots of us have discovered that they are really OVERstimulating lol smiling smiley I really LOVE garlic and used to eat TONS of it but now can only really stand it in very small doses .. .. perhaps the body once the tastebuds have come back decides less is more lol smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 20, 2009 09:40PM

Yeah, I remember reading that Bryan had cut out a lot of this stuff and I thought he was being extreme... well, now I find myself desiring less and less of it. I am into the pure, sometimes subtle taste of my food more. I haven't cut out all that stuff but I do desire it less than I used to.

Posted by: mrgreen ()
Date: February 21, 2009 01:11AM

Wow - that is interesting. So eventually your taste buds will refine to a point where very little wil go far. ie garlic - being an overpowering flavor may be too much. It's makes sense. I learn more everyday on this site. Thanks for sharing.

"If you're not tough it's hard to survive in this world; and if you're not kind then you don't deserve to survive." –Raymond Chandler

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: March 07, 2009 07:38PM

Soaking diced garlic in lemon juice or vinegar makes it healthy for consumption. Or use aged garlic powder or open the capsules.

Oil: avocados, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds

Seaweed-soaked if you want to get rid of the salt

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables